Considering a JK

tcf
Been here a while

Considering a JK

Unread post by tcf » August 17th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Hoping someone can let us know how noisy the jk 4 door is with a hardtop and with a softtop. What is the road noise and traffic noise like through either of the tops? I guess mostly I'm interested to see how much, if any, wind noise there is compared to a standard fixed roof vehicle. I dont expect the softtop to be quiet, but am interested in the noise levels of the hardtop.

Looking at the possibility of trading the Ranger for an '08 or so, low km's, manual probably unleaded as manual diesels are rare as (or everyone is holding onto them tightly). I reckon they look tuff, are a hell of a lot easier to mod than a Ranger to mod and have a bit more proven 4x4 technology than a Ranger (not to bag the vehicle I have now, but I'm relaising maybe its not for me)
Last edited by tcf on November 29th, 2010, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JKU CRD

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » August 17th, 2010, 9:14 pm

you want to down grade from a diesel to a petrol?
what mods can't you do to your ranger?

tcf
Been here a while

Unread post by tcf » August 18th, 2010, 5:01 am

mate dont get me wrong, but I'm just looking for a change

I would love a diesel jk, but you just cant find them in a manual easily. If one came up I would snap it up. I only drive my vehicle pretty much on the weekend so in terms of economy its not a big issue, and the power gain from petrol is something to consider. Obviously diesel is better for offroad, but like I say above there are other issues here and the Ranger is beginning not to suit my needs any longer.

Looking at decent lift (more than 2in without major reworking), decent rubber (more than 32in without major reworking), diff locks, etc... I odnt want to go craxy but these are just a few things.

Like I keep saying my cicumstances are changing and no longer need a ute and only a weekender type car.
JKU CRD

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » August 18th, 2010, 1:49 pm

The hard top is not that really noisy at all, just remember that the JK is a brick anyhow. The soft top has the usual wind noise but you will find with the soft top on you will have it down anyhow.

If I was going with a diesel I would get the auto behind as less issues with the clutch and some models had more torque with the auto.

Depends on where you are but us jeepers are a friendly bunch and you could ask one of the many for a drive in one to see the noise perception for yourself.

JTO

tcf
Been here a while

Unread post by tcf » August 18th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Thanks for the insight there mate. Your JK is a fine looker!

Do you have a manual or auto? and petrol im assuming? Got some get up and go?

I'm really keen to swap to a JK. The prices seem to vary though, for an 07 to 08, petrol manual, lowish kms (< 50k kms) from $28k to $35k'ish. Would look to get a truck thats not seen any/much offroad work too.

Other than the ususal tyres, bars etc what's involved in hooking up the swaybar disconnect setup? its definitely a worthy mod from what i understand.
JKU CRD

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » August 18th, 2010, 9:12 pm

tcf,

Have the petrol auto and has more than enough get up and go. Its fly by wire so gotta drive accordingly to get the jeep to drive the way i want.

Some good ones for sale on ausjeep as well with a lot of fruit and one on ebay atm done by phil at ozadventure 4x4 and thats a crd.

Sway bar disconnects are about a 20 minute install and then disconnected in less than a minite for offroad. these are manual disconnects and not the electronic one like the rubicon model.

Try the Melbourne Jeep club in vic for direct access to vic jeepers and also a jeep jamboree is on in October this year so you will have a couple of hundred jeeps to cast your eyes over:)

JTO

tasar
Been here a while

Unread post by tasar » August 18th, 2010, 9:25 pm

if you come to the Jeep jamboree - you'll see over 100 JK's in one place

National Jeep Jamboree Victoria 2010 - Melbourne Jeep Owners Club

can chat to the owners and jeep will have a test track ready for people to drive on

might even be some for sale on site

tcf
Been here a while

Unread post by tcf » September 4th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Hoping someone can let me Know what the placarded tyre sizes are on the jk 4dr?

Also what are some opinions on price ranges for 08 jk, 4dr, petrol (diesel seems too rare and hence pricey when one does come up), manual or auto , looking for a stock vehicle that hasn't been flogged. For something with approx 50kms on the clock. From my research it seems approx $28-30k, is this achievable?

Tim
JKU CRD

Yom
Avid Poster

Re: jk hardtop

Unread post by Yom » October 5th, 2010, 3:36 pm

pricing seems about right for a 4dr petrol.

I personally hated the Manual JKs (both diesel and petrol). I went a diesel auto, even though the auto can be a bit daft at times they are fairly strong and trouble free providing you follow the service requirements and only ever run specified oils (which are expensive, but is cheaper to use the recommended oil than to save some costs and be up for a premature rebuild).

Plus the auto CRD is absolutely killer offroad. Its 100% cheating compared to other automatic 4wds and especially manuals. The torque multiplication in low range is obscene - they climb stuff like you would not believe. Jeep might not have programmed them very well for road use but offroad is where they really come into their own. Engine braking downhill is also very good - poos all over my old 4.2L Diesel 6cyl Patrol.

Tyre sizing. JK have had 3 different tyre options so far.

MY07 - Sports: 245/65r16 or something equivalent to a 30" tyre on a 16" alloy rim. Rubicon: 255/75r17

MY08 - Sport & Rubicon: 255/75r17

MY09 and MY10 - Sport/Rubicon: 245/75r17

Tyre placecards are assigned according to VIN number - so you can't actually put another year model's placecard on it as the last few digits of the VIN are printed on the sticker.

tcf
Been here a while

Re: jk hardtop

Unread post by tcf » November 21st, 2010, 8:12 pm

some great insight, cheers

what is the box like in the crd auto? is it an agricultural box or quite slick? I dont intend to flog the pants of it anyway, but is the gearing adequate?

I've narrowed the vehicle im chasing down to:
-unlimited
-auto
-CRD
-offroad group would be a bonus
-approx 50,000kms
-low $30k range
JKU CRD

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Re: Considering a JK

Unread post by jeeptheone » December 23rd, 2010, 6:16 pm

The diesel auto is the way to go and I have seen these in action and do go better than my petrol auto.

There are some good prices around for second hand one with a bit of fruit already on them.

JTO

bouncing Benny
Been here a while

Unread post by bouncing Benny » June 1st, 2011, 11:56 am

I also are looking for my first 4wd, and the Jeep Jk unlimited was right up there for choice. However after doing some research, only on internet, not first hand, I'm alarmed at the problems the car has, and yet I see none of the same problems reported by the guys on this forum, are Aussies getting the better cars, without the problems?? :confused:
Heres a couple of links of reports of different problems, and I would guess most are from Americans, although some when talking of mileage, say kms,soo....
I'm sure your all capable of doing searches to find more defects, I only have 2 of the links here, but some of the defects as follows:
Auto trans-fires, manuals popping out of gear or unable to select gear, bonnet latches failing, refueling splash backs, various water interior leaks, engine surge/lack of power, 'Jeep death wobble' (WTF, this should be reason enough that it not be legal to sell to public), and a couple of other problems that escape me at the moment.
Now I have NO bias to brand,In fact was starting to think the Jeep was the car for me, I'm simply trying to find the right 4wd to buy, and while just about all brands have a defect (usually easy to fix), the Jeep problems are crazy, plus lack of dealership assistance.
I think it might be safer to scratch this car from my list. :cry:

Was looking at 2007 models. SO, are Aussie owners having these problems?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/3050/jeep-w ... ng-issues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints ... =DrillDown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XJmitch
Been here a while

Unread post by XJmitch » June 1st, 2011, 9:35 pm

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of buying a Jeep so move on.

bouncing Benny
Been here a while

Unread post by bouncing Benny » June 1st, 2011, 10:31 pm

What a dumb ##### reply.
Info to help inform people, along with maybe getting some feedback from actual Jeep owners, pfff, you move on!

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » June 2nd, 2011, 9:34 pm

Hi Benny,

I've got an '09 CRD Auto Unlimited and love it. Use it as a daily driver and then off road/camping whenever we can get away. It's just clicked over 40,000km and I've not experienced of the of the issues you mentioned yet but I have heard of a few of them. As far as I know (and for anyone who knows better please correct me).........

Auto trans-fires - I think this was an issue with the early petrol autos (not an issue on the diesels as they have different auto) and was sorted ages ago by adding trans coolers.

manuals popping out of gear or unable to select gear - Not heard of this, but I do drive an auto! The manuals do seem to have an appetite for clutches though when worked hard (might be more the diesels as they have more torque). New clutches aren't cheap and will cost more than the difference between the auto and manual in the first place so I'd say your better just to get the auto then it's not an issue. From '08 onwards you got 50Nm more torque with the autos as well.

bonnet latches failing - have heard of this but very rarely. Easily fixed I expect if you're concerned by adding a $30 after market bonnet catch/lock.

refueling splash backs - Not heard of this but I know some of the early diesels had issues with very slow filling. Think this was fixed on the later models as I've not had any issue.

various water interior leaks - think that's one you got to learn to live with if you drive a Wrangler. Soft top or hard it's still a lot a removable pieces/panels that need to fit together perfectly (and then not rattle apart as you bounce and twist over whatever obstacles you're playing on at the time) to keep it water tight. I keep the hard top on mine and I get a slight trickle down the drivers door window in prolonged torrential rain. I can live with that though as it rarely rains that much and it's even more rare that I'm out driving in it. All in all I'm surprised at how water tight it is when you consider how many parts there are.

engine surge/lack of power - again, not heard of or experienced this one.

'Jeep death wobble' - This is a concern for some guys who lift them. From what I can gather I think it is quite easy to upset the front end geometry when lifting the suspension. That said there are some excellent and comprehensive lift kits available (I'm saving my pennies for one) that address all of these issues. I think it's just a case of "do it properly" and don't try to cut corners.

The JK's do have their fair share of issues but no more so that any other car these days. I've certainly had less issues with the JK than I had with the X-Trail I had previously. Both brand new cars. From my experience I also think Jeep are more helpful and forgiving in terms of warranty claims than Nissan are. I'm not saying the Wrangler is perfect. I think it's fantastic but others will hate it as it's not exactly refined. The JK's were a huge step forward in creature comforts from the earlier models but it's still a long way from a Grand Cherokee/Disco/200 Series. That said, it was never meant to compete with them in the first place.

Going back to the original post by tcf, the noise levels aren't bad. I use the hard top permanently and have never had any problem. Can't really say for the soft top though a I've never used it. It is noisier than normal sedans/SUV's as it has the aerodynamics of a brick so you do get wind noise, even more so when you add a snorkel but it's not intrusive. I have a bluetooth handsfree kit and can hear/be heard on that well enough and you can hold a quiet conversation easily. I can hear the engine, especially if it's working hard but I like that. Drove a friends Disco 3 and hated it as it was so quiet. I felt completely removed from the driving experience. It was more like piloting a simulator.

Return to “JK Wrangler”