jk clip falling off?

BJR76
Here and there

jk clip falling off?

Unread post by BJR76 » February 4th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else with a jk 4 door has had the clip on the transfer case fall off. Its the one that holds the cable onto the shift arm. Mine has popped off while off road leaving me in nuetral until I figured it out and crawled under the car and shifted it back into 4wd by hand. I have had a interesting discussion with my local dealer who was practically shouting at me and implying that it was my fault. I have a good friend with the same car and his did it at about 2000kms, mine made it to 10000kms. I was just wanting to see if it was only us? I think it should be warranty.
cheers.

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » February 5th, 2009, 8:18 am

Have not heard of that particular issue raised on the ausjeep forum or the projectjk forums either. Might have to get under the rig and have a look.

Bad that the dealer implies its your fault for using it as it was designed!

JTO

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » February 5th, 2009, 9:17 pm

actually it has been raised by someone on the AJOR forum and I've also seen it mentioned around the web before.

Its not an uncommon issue.

I think its just uncommon to most JK owners because they don't actually use 4wd...lol :p

I cannot imagine it being hard to fix and prevent from happening again...

BJR76
Here and there

Unread post by BJR76 » February 5th, 2009, 9:36 pm

when the dealer is finished replacing the 2 little bushes and the 'e' clip I plan to lockwire it on so it cant come off again. Learnt that those little lockwire pliers are gold back in my enduro and motorcross days. I think that should do the trick:thumb:. I just thought it was strange that my mate (who bought a Rubicon after seeing what mine could do)had the same thing happen about a month ago.
Thanks guys.

BJR76
Here and there

Unread post by BJR76 » February 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm

BJR76 wrote:Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else with a jk 4 door has had the clip on the transfer case fall off. Its the one that holds the cable onto the shift arm. Mine has popped off while off road leaving me in nuetral until I figured it out and crawled under the car and shifted it back into 4wd by hand. I have had a interesting discussion with my local dealer who was practically shouting at me and implying that it was my fault. I have a good friend with the same car and his did it at about 2000kms, mine made it to 10000kms. I was just wanting to see if it was only us? I think it should be warranty.
cheers.

It seems that the clip is actually just a push on plastic grommet, costs about 5 dollars and it just plain wears out if you use 4wd (which I probably use maybe once a week as I have a playground right at my back door) didn't worry about the warranty for a 5 dollar part. I now have 2 of those grommets, one to fix it and one for the glovebox. cheers, maybe this post will save someone else from having the problem. happy travels.:)

simsy
Been here a while

Unread post by simsy » May 8th, 2009, 12:26 pm

BJR76 wrote:It seems that the clip is actually just a push on plastic grommet, costs about 5 dollars and it just plain wears out if you use 4wd (which I probably use maybe once a week as I have a playground right at my back door) didn't worry about the warranty for a 5 dollar part. I now have 2 of those grommets, one to fix it and one for the glovebox. cheers, maybe this post will save someone else from having the problem. happy travels.:)
Had the same happen to mine at 3500k. Albion jeep Brisbane replaced the whole cable under warrenty. but i could do with a couple of those clips as well.

simsy

markh84
Getting to know the place

Unread post by markh84 » June 20th, 2009, 5:05 pm

i had mine come off last weekend, was the tamest 4wd trip too, had to reach in under and around the hot exhaust pipe to put it back on best i could, good thing i had gloves in my recovery kit to protect from the heat

BJR76
Here and there

jeep clip

Unread post by BJR76 » November 9th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Good to see I wasn't the only one (kinda?) with the plastic grommet falling off. I havent visited for a while now. I have had my Jeep for a year now and am happy to say that the clip has't fallen off again, the whole shift lever seems to have freed up a bit and I guees that has helped. I am happy to report that I have not had any other problems at all with my Jeep and am a very happy camper. I have done some pretty hard off roading in that time. I am planning to go down to camp coffs at easter should be a whole lot of fun!!:thumb:

pmturnbull
Avid Poster

Unread post by pmturnbull » December 18th, 2009, 10:57 am

one of the magazines had the same problem with there test vehicle when they were comparing all solid axle trucks so the mag gave it a did not finish so no result or last

BJR76
Here and there

Re: jk clip falling off?

Unread post by BJR76 » November 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Well I had my fun in the rubi, she has moved on and so have I. This clip was the only problem I had in 3 years, I will miss it like mad. Just got a diesel Grand Cherokee 70th anniversery edition, which is much better for the family and the long trips we do nowadays. Boy the thing is flash!

simsy
Been here a while

Re: jk clip falling off?

Unread post by simsy » November 23rd, 2011, 6:16 pm

BJR76 wrote:Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else with a jk 4 door has had the clip on the transfer case fall off. Its the one that holds the cable onto the shift arm. Mine has popped off while off road leaving me in nuetral until I figured it out and crawled under the car and shifted it back into 4wd by hand. I have had a interesting discussion with my local dealer who was practically shouting at me and implying that it was my fault. I have a good friend with the same car and his did it at about 2000kms, mine made it to 10000kms. I was just wanting to see if it was only us? I think it should be warranty.
cheers.

Hi all just bought a new transfer case lever from double black . no more breaking the plastic clip. the lever has a bush and a nut to hold the cable on :)

Return to “JK Wrangler”