Best snorkel for JK?

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » April 12th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Junior 91 wrote:Hate to break it to you, but the AEV snorkel is illegal unless fitting the bonnet as well.

And as to the above comment about the safari snorkel rattle with the aerail to fix this just zip tie it to the snorkel grill it works fine then :thumb:
Chris,

Why is it illegal? Just curious on your comment..

JTO

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » April 12th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Also after looking at all the ones on the market atm the TJM Airtec one looks the best and is not overly intursive.

JTO

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » April 12th, 2010, 8:21 pm

jeeptheone wrote:Chris,

Why is it illegal? Just curious on your comment..

JTO
Cutting holes in your bonnet isn't illegal but cutting through structural sections is and the side of your bonnet is part of the structural construction of the bonnet mate.

Wasn't trying to be rude.
Who cares what it is just drive it...

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » April 12th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Nah thats a fair comment you have made. As you know anything goes in the US.

JTO

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » April 12th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Yeah it does seem that way doesn't it and also it is legal if you get their bonnet but it will cost a small fortune just for a legal snorkel.
Who cares what it is just drive it...

V860
Been here a while

Unread post by V860 » May 2nd, 2010, 9:47 pm

Is JeepKonnection the only place that sells the AEV Snorkel in Aus?
2009 JK Unlimited "Genii"
1984 HJ60[color=black] "Tinker Bell"
[/color]

llew
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Best snorkel for JK?

Unread post by llew » June 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Mate i got the AEV from jeepkonnection, was cheeper, looks better, have had no rattling (they supply a small hose that goes over the aerial in the kit) from the aerial, there is a shroud supplied in the kit that goes over the cut out (puts back the structural integrity i would imagine) as well as covers edge. I was scared sh**less of cutting my 2010 bonnet but worked out a treat (see my profile pic). My bro-in-law got an airflow, what a job, took him 12 hrs + to fit and the moving things under bonnet suc's. Another thing with the AEV is it is a direct path to the filter box. Your choice at the end of the day, but i think it is a better snorkle, $950 + fitted at the dealership on the gold coast, fitted it in about 4 hrs myself (letting the undercoat and painted sections dry included in that time). Anyway hope it helped some.

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » June 24th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I got the Safari snorkel fitted purely as I thought it looked better than the Airflow (I know, showing my great technical knowledge!) and they had a good general reputation. Didn't know about the AEV at the time. I had a few issues with it, though admittedly most were due to the incompetent idiots who fitted it.

Now, in hindsight, if I was to get another JK I think I'd get the AEV snorkel next time. Quite a few people have issues with the vibrations on the Safari (though thankfully I haven't yet) and when you look at the convoluted way it snakes it's way through the wing and then up and around the engine bay to the air box it's a wonder any air gets through at all. I presume the Airflow is similar as it goes through the front wing in approx the same place. The AEV seems far more efficient, running straight down the wing before entering the air box which can only be a good thing and also means that it it isn't taking up valuable space inside the engine bay (very valuable space in the diesel!).

Hadn't heard about the legal issues of cutting the bonnet but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get pulled up for that.

pile_driver
I'm new, be nice!

Re:

Unread post by pile_driver » September 9th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Junior 91 wrote: Hate to break it to you, but the AEV snorkel is illegal unless fitting the bonnet as well.

Hey guys, the above comment is just not true. The AEV is EXACTLY the same as the Mopar one supplied from Jeep (Jeep just charge a lot more for it) and it is fine for road use so don't be too stressed about legality isues ;) Call Jeep for clarification, it meets ADR standards for road use.

Junior, I'm not trying to be a douche so please don't read it that way :D

simsy
Been here a while

Unread post by simsy » November 12th, 2011, 3:19 pm

go the AEV. i fitted mine myself, with a very sharp hole saw and was ***** scared but it fitted great, has been on for 2 1/2 years and has been through the desert and around australia. just a thought but if you buy the AEV one jeep may be able to fit it.

steve

Return to “JK Wrangler”