Best snorkel for JK?

J..
I'm new, be nice!

Best snorkel for JK?

Unread post by J.. » October 20th, 2008, 7:28 pm

G'day people. Looking for a snorkel for a JK CRD but I've been told not all snorkels are equal??

Does anyone have any experience with this brand available on ebay quite often?

Whats the differences in various snorkels?

Snorkel Kit Jeep JK Wrangler - S64 - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Oct-08 21:49:33 AEDST)

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » October 20th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Looks to be nearly exactly the same as the Safari one.
Who cares what it is just drive it...

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » October 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm

I have used Safari snorkels for about 14 years now on two 4x4s and can't fault it. I would ring ARB or TJM and check prices that ebay snorkel seems expensive to me. My last Safari snorkel was $350-400 fitted to a GQ.

Lushy
Here and there

Unread post by Lushy » November 3rd, 2008, 1:38 pm

I like the AEV as it keeps all of the intake up level with the airbox, no tubing below it at all.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD, 3"Lift, ARB Delux Bar and a Winch on the way.
For Sale 2003 Ducati ST2 with all the bits for Touring 11 Grand ONO.:thumb:

cj
Been here a while

Unread post by cj » November 5th, 2008, 7:18 pm

I have had both Safari and Airflow on other vehicles and they are both fine. A mate has a Safari fitted to his JK and has had problems with the aerial vibrating on the snorkel due to it's design so in this instance I'd look at the Airflow. AEV do some nice products too.

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » January 26th, 2009, 3:56 pm

I would go the AEV as the Airflow and the Safari require extensive cutting and some reloaction of some items under the bonnet to get them in. The AEV is only a notch in the bonnet and it plugs into the airbox.

Just my opinion.

JTO

up2nogood
Here and there

Unread post by up2nogood » January 31st, 2010, 8:07 am

AEV. No plumbing in the engine bay at means room for the locker compressor. Simple to fit.

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » February 5th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Had a good look at the TJM airtec one and it looks good, minor cutting and no relocation of bits in the engine bay. I am trying to choose now between the AEV and the TJM one.

JTO

V860
Been here a while

Unread post by V860 » April 11th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Does any place actually sell and fit the AEV. I prefer the design however I'm not good enough to cut my bonnet. Heck I don't even have my Jeep home from the dealer yet. I'm in Sydney
2009 JK Unlimited "Genii"
1984 HJ60[color=black] "Tinker Bell"
[/color]

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » April 11th, 2010, 11:13 pm

For anyone reading this thread and trying to decide, if you have a CRD JK don't bother with the Safari snorkel unless you like epic vibrations through the cab. Something to do with the harmonics from the engine's induction. I have spaced my Safari snorkel out from the body and mounted it on rubber to try and minimise the bloody vibrations. Has worked quite well but looks crap.

Not pleased with the money I spent there I can assure you of that and if I could do it again I'd go AEV for simplicity.

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » April 11th, 2010, 11:16 pm

jeeptheone wrote:I would go the AEV as the Airflow and the Safari require extensive cutting and some reloaction of some items under the bonnet to get them in. The AEV is only a notch in the bonnet and it plugs into the airbox.

Just my opinion.

JTO
up2nogood wrote:AEV. No plumbing in the engine bay at means room for the locker compressor. Simple to fit.
V860 wrote:Does any place actually sell and fit the AEV. I prefer the design however I'm not good enough to cut my bonnet. Heck I don't even have my Jeep home from the dealer yet. I'm in Sydney
Hate to break it to you, but the AEV snorkel is illegal unless fitting the bonnet as well.

And as to the above comment about the safari snorkel rattle with the aerail to fix this just zip tie it to the snorkel grill it works fine then :thumb:

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » April 11th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Yom wrote:For anyone reading this thread and trying to decide, if you have a CRD JK don't bother with the Safari snorkel unless you like epic vibrations through the cab. Something to do with the harmonics from the engine's induction. I have spaced my Safari snorkel out from the body and mounted it on rubber to try and minimise the bloody vibrations. Has worked quite well but looks crap.

Not pleased with the money I spent there I can assure you of that and if I could do it again I'd go AEV for simplicity.
Hey mate this is the first i have heard of this on a JK and i have driven a lot with the snorkels fitted, not trying to be rude at all but was it fitted propely at all and don't use rubber use neoprene foam instead as it is softer and will take away the vib better as that is what ARB use to get rid of it on the 200 series snorkel.

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » April 12th, 2010, 9:26 am

Junior 91 wrote:Hey mate this is the first i have heard of this on a JK and i have driven a lot with the snorkels fitted, not trying to be rude at all but was it fitted propely at all and don't use rubber use neoprene foam instead as it is softer and will take away the vib better as that is what ARB use to get rid of it on the 200 series snorkel.
Zip tying the antenna to the top of the snorkel causes even more vibrations on the diesel. It is fine on the petrol. I used some rubber tubing around the antenna to isolate it from the snorkel. Worked fine and only hear the antenna whipping the snorkel when offroad which I can live with.

You're not being rude by asking if it is fitted properly either. You guys did the fitting.:)

The rubber solution works just fine and i have no intentions of letting anybody touch it.

Junior 91
Need to get out more

Unread post by Junior 91 » April 12th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Yom wrote:Zip tying the antenna to the top of the snorkel causes even more vibrations on the diesel. It is fine on the petrol. I used some rubber tubing around the antenna to isolate it from the snorkel. Worked fine and only hear the antenna whipping the snorkel when offroad which I can live with.

You're not being rude by asking if it is fitted properly either. You guys did the fitting.:)

The rubber solution works just fine and i have no intentions of letting anybody touch it.

Ha really which one is it i might remember it. Have you brought it back at all so we can take down the information of whats going on to pass it onto Safari?

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » April 12th, 2010, 3:13 pm

I'd rather not.

Return to “JK Wrangler”