Woo Hoo New JK

Kelranger
Been here a while

Woo Hoo New JK

Unread post by Kelranger » July 6th, 2012, 8:33 am

Hi all, yesterday put my money down on a new JK with Pentastar motor, over the last two -three weeks its been doing my head in on witch way to go and even then it was a last minute change of mine. Even after picking on what type of motor to get I then had to choose what colour :crazy: silver won out in the end. So now the fun begins the mods will be Front/Back bar, rock sliders, 2 inch lift,and rims with 33' oh a snorkel when they make one and a winch. So I'm open to recommendation on witch product to buy and so on, I wont be doing any mod to it for about 5-6 weeks I'll be hitting the Kimberly with the wife in my Ranger BRING IT ON

Kel Oh I would like to thank the minister of workbench fun/finance WOO HOO :lol:

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Re: Woo Hoo New JK

Unread post by Army_Barbie » July 6th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Woohoo!! Sounds like an awesome plan Kel! You're going to love it!:)

Kelranger
Been here a while

Unread post by Kelranger » July 8th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I hope so mate, I've always liked them and now my dream of owning one is becoming a reality. The dealer rang the other day and my silver JEEP is still on the boat (I thought they had their own motor to power the ship?) so when I get back from the Kimberly I'll be flying straight down to Brisvegas to pick her up :woohoo:

Kel

Army_Barbie
Been here a while

Unread post by Army_Barbie » July 9th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Haha what a great way to end a holiday! :p

furkew
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by furkew » July 25th, 2012, 7:33 pm

congrats on a great choice.

just one thing if its still a possibility if you wish, (and of course the legalities) but a 3" lift & 35" tyres are the ducks nuts and you will never have the nagging felling of "I wish I had...."

The AEV snorkels seem good value and good quality. I have a Tmax winch and have no issues, had an ironman on my old hilux (4 years ago) and it was "OK" but times have changed, so cant comment on the newer models.

My JK is a 2011 and I have done plenty of pimping, so any questions shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Paul.

I'm in vic and wish I had gone ofr 37" tyres :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 8th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Took a couple of newish Jeeps out for a run a short while back, a CRD Diesel jobbie & one with the new Pentastar engine & auto box; I must say that even straight out of the box they are both pretty impressive packages, but that Pentastar makes for a very nice drive, both on and off road, especially when teamed with the auto!! But can anyone tell me why they come from the factory with baby stroller wheels on them?!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

heffa
Here and there

Unread post by heffa » August 9th, 2012, 6:29 pm

What is the go with the new pentastar engine? is it better on fuel or does it have more power?

Im looking at a new jk and want to know if its worth getting one with the new engine or just get a 2011 runout model?

Cheers...

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » August 13th, 2012, 9:58 pm

By all accounts the new Pentastar is better than the old engine in every respect......more power & better on fuel. Supposed to be 3 sec quicker 0-100, not that 0-100 times tell the whole story but it shows the level of change. If you like your auto's as well it also gets a newer 5 speed auto rather than the archaic 4 speed that was used with the old 3.8l V6. From what I've read the new engine mates really well to the auto whereas most people recommended the manual as the better option for the old 3.8.

All that said, there are some great run out deals that will save you plenty of $ to put towards a load of mods. While the new engine is definitely better, the old one wasn't too bad and was reliable. Yes it's lacks a bit of punch, especially at highway speeds, but if you're happy to accept that then it should run forever (well, not quite, but you know what I mean).

I still like my CRD though :)

heffa
Here and there

Unread post by heffa » August 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info mate,

Decisions, Decisions..... i test drove a 07 crd last week and loved it but ive seen to many you tube vids of people thrashing there jk's so ive decided to go as new as possible as i need it reliable for work....., im going to test drive a rubicon next, whether or not i can afford one is another story.....

Hay Kel, have you picked up the new rig yet?

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » August 16th, 2012, 9:36 pm

In terms of the motor I'd say there was more chance of the petrol being thrashed than the CRD, just due to the nature of how they drive. The petrol needs to be worked harder to get more from it whereas the CRD doesn't. In terms of the rest of the car I'd say it should be easy to see how hard a life it's had by a quick look underneath at the bash plates.

Just FYI the 07 models were slightly different from the 08 onwards in that they had 16" wheels whereas all later models have 17". They also had 4.1 diff ratios, which were changed in 08 to 3.21 for the manuals and 3.73 for the auto (with the exception of the Rubi that kept the 4.1's). If you're looking at putting bigger tyres on, especially if you're looking at a manual, then the 07's 4.1 ratios will be good. The 3.73's in the later auto's are OK for 33" tyres but the 3.21's in the manuals aren't even that good for 33's (and really don't help the slightly weak clutch in coping with the torque of the CRD's!) and you'll likely want to look at changing ratios to 4.1 or higher if you're going to 35's.

The CRD really is a good motor. They are proving to be very reliable with the exception of the odd one but any issues show themselves quickly so if the 07 motor is still going strong then it should be a good one. There was a press release about the Pentastar engines this week saying that they had issues with the head though only under specific (but unspecified) circumstances. That has the potential to affect over 1.5 million engines as the 3.6l V6 is used in a few different Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. Any issues would be sorted under warranty though so not the end of the world and any new ones will have a new design head fitted.

Kelranger
Been here a while

Unread post by Kelranger » August 17th, 2012, 12:43 am

heffa wrote:Thanks for the info mate,

Decisions, Decisions..... i test drove a 07 crd last week and loved it but ive seen to many you tube vids of people thrashing there jk's so ive decided to go as new as possible as i need it reliable for work....., im going to test drive a rubicon next, whether or not i can afford one is another story.....

Hay Kel, have you picked up the new rig yet?
No mate still on the way home from the Gibb River road, I hope yo have it shipped up to Mount Isa next week or two from Brisvagas

Return to “JK Wrangler”