99 nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
turbo 1hz
Been here a while

Unread post by turbo 1hz » August 31st, 2010, 5:13 pm

nah mate i didnt do it the old bloke that we brought it off said he did then we looked through the service recpits and its got navara water pump fitted. not sure on the modle number. i blew a cv and long axal on the weekend and had to drive it for 4 hour trip(first long trip ive done) and it never even looked like getting hot

goody59
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by goody59 » August 31st, 2010, 11:31 pm

Thanks anyway mate. I will look into it.

smac
Avid Poster

Re: 99 nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

Unread post by smac » October 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm

got any more pics of the Terrano?

i reckon these are just begging to be a project car!

turbo 1hz
Been here a while

Unread post by turbo 1hz » October 17th, 2010, 9:26 am

yeh i recon. were taking ours to the cape and i told the minister of finance that if it gets any dings up there that itll be geting solid front axal when we get back

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » July 12th, 2012, 7:07 pm

may be a silly question but would the water pump be from the same year Navara?

99 T2 = 99 Navara???

Plus i am planning to use my car for a fair bit of towing in the future and would like to increase its power, i have looked in to getting a chip and exhaust package. Has anyone done this? or has anyone any info about chipping a T2.

what kind of flexibility in tyre size would any potential power up give me too?
If you're lucky enough to be at the beach...you're lucky enough!

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » July 19th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Mate I have a 1999 Terrano 2. Been up the cape as far as Lakefield National Park. Had her over 10 years now. Great little 4by. I really want to get a rear locker but. All 4by's are good till you get 2 wheels off the ground. My ambition is to have the best Terrano 2 in Australia. Just got to win the lotto. Got a bullbar snorkel 31 inch bighorn muddies, roof rack, awning, UHF side steps. Getting winch, mandrel bent exhaust and steinbauer this year then the locker next year. I like the look of your drawers. I was thinking of making some but I am a spastic with a hammer in my hand.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » July 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Roo systems can do a chip for it. Got quoted about $1400. My mechanic is doing me a diesel smart chip for $899 fitted but I am getting the exhaust first. ARB can do the Steinbauer chip for the Terrano 2. They have the power figures. Trouble with ARB is they are expensive.

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » August 8th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Hey terrano2buck,

i'd be really keen to hear how you go on your quest for the best T2.

I am still looking at getting the navara pump to keep mine cooler this summer. I have found two to choose from one with a gap between the pump and pulleys of 25mm and another with a gap of 30mm. it'll be next thing i buy. Have you had any issues with yours getting hotter than you'd like?

Then it's an exhaust and some research in to whether i should chip, upgrade turbo etc etc...

So it sounds like you haven't modified the engine as yet... how does it perform on road, running the bigger tyres? I would like to upgrade my tyre size eventually but i want to see what kind of output i can get. When i fist started looking in to upgrading the engine Roo Systems were advertising a chip and exhaust package for around $1300, i didn't want to rush in before doing any research but now i wish i had jumped at it.

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » August 17th, 2012, 1:18 am

Hey there,

I have a 99 T2 and looking for a 2 1/2 exhaust + chip to try and get the exhaust temp down when under hard load. I got a quote for $1200 for full 2 1/2 in in mandrel with a dump pipe. Cheapest chip I found was 200 euro thats pre-programmed.

The previous owner fitted the Davies Craig Electric Water Pump and Digital Controller plus a 16inch thermo fan. Tihs has given me nothing but grieve due to the original installer. Luckily Davies Craig has helped me with a new system. I have also fitted the PWR radiator and that is the business. Green T I would look at that with the Aussie Navara WP fitted apparently D21 is the one.

Does anybody know where to get a cargo barrier from as Milford don't make them anymore?

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » August 20th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Well boys so much for my exhaust and diesel module. The bloody fuel pump developed a small leak. My mechanic took it off and sent it to Cairns Deisel Services. They tested the diesel pump and the electrics were fine. They put a new seal kit through it. Anyway $2000 later. Just took it out to Karumba and back. Did about 1600kms. The T2 went well. I ran the 31" all terrains for the trip. I was not happy with my fuel consumption. It was a bit higher than normal. I think it needs a good dyno tune but I will get that once I get the exhaust and diesel module. I have decided to get a 2.5" mandrel bent system from Tuff ***** exhausts in Cairns. The bloke had a look and quoted $800 for the entire system which I think is pretty good. He said I will notice the turbo kick in a bit lower down and that the vehicle will run cooler and more fuel efficient. My mechanic is an agent for Diesel Smart modules. He is going to fit and dyno tune it for $899. Apparently they have 4 settings. Economy, power, light tow and heavy tow. I was hoping to have this by now but the bloody diesel pump put me behind the eight ball. I am currently saving for the exhaust and diesel smart module. Can't wait as my mate at work just got his 2.8lt patrol done with a package and said it was like a new vehicle. Heaps more power for towing his boat. The Terrano 2 originally came with size 235 tyres. Fuel economy went to crap when I put the 31" A/T's on and it is even worse with the 31" maxis bighorn muddies on but far better for 4wd'ing with the bigger tyres. I will let you know once I get the package. This latest trip was a good test for my new dual battery system. The Ctek D250S dual kept the batteries full and ran the 95lt fridgemate no worries. The eBay solar panels also went really well hooked up the the Ctek. Got a lot of comments from other campers. Amazing how many people try to run both their batteries just off the alternator. Nothing wrong with the eBay solar panels, they worked a treat. Overall the T2 was reliable as ever. She is due for her 230,000 service now. Besides the diesel pump it has been a very reliable 4wd for me and I intend to keep it a while longer yet. Bring on the exhaust, module and rear locker!!

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » August 22nd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Hey mate, your post came at a good time i was just about to to ask you about running the 31's. you said that the fuel economy went down but how was the performance? did it feel sluggish? did you have to lift your T2 to run the bigger tyres?
I have contacted Roo systems again and i'm pretty keen on their package of diesel chip tuned to run a 3" exhaust. Have you looked in to their packages?
cheers for the heads up about pwr radiator, could be a goer...are you still running the thermo with it?

I've been sweet talking the missus in to letting me spend some cash on the car and i'm hoping to power up, cool down and run bigger shoes before summer hits, but i want to make sure i'm making the right choices. As an owner for over 10 years i would appreciate any advice/feedback.

The dual batteries sounds good too...money money money. :rolleyes:

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » August 23rd, 2012, 10:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I definitely have fuel economy issues running 31 inch MTZ especially around town. I've been thinking of getting a set of D22 16inch rims and running HT's for everyday and sand. I got the truck with a HD suspension lift from Toughdog over 50mm lift in the rear, I have a pair of 3 inch lift arms for the heading my way this week for the WD21 from https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/hardbod ... p-141.html heaps cheaper than Calmini.

Terranobuck2 nice price on the exhaust can they make it as a kit and ship it to Sydney?
I'm also worried about the pump at just over 200k. When were your injectors overhauled last and Number one injector replaced? Also have you cleaned or replaced your MAF Sensor? The latter I replaced after buying truck, picked it up from a Bosch dealer in the UK for $120 deliver - $400 trade price here.... This may help your fuel economy.

So you recommend the C Tek D250S Dual? I have a Piranha 140S unfortunately its not pushing enough voltage.

Green T I'm running a 16inch thermo fan behind the PWR however I have an electric water pump that is controlled by a computer than allows the room for the fan. I can email you pics if you PM your email address.

Are either of you running an idler arm brace? If you are not get one as its stops pulling of the steering under brakes, cornering and heaps stiffer off road if running 31's or bigger. Get the D21 from Snake racing ($75 +pst) you will need to re drill one mounting hole, but an easy job.

I think I'll be looking at a Front Mechanical Locker before the rear my LSD works well still and the amount of flex I have in the rear I'm not worried about traction, however the front lift wheels too easy as you guys would know. Also $500 plus fitting for that compared to nearly triple that for a rear ARB air locker.

I need to sort out blown head gaskets on our suby and sell it so plans for Boab 48L slim tank behind the rear seat and home build drawers next to the already slide mounted 40L Engel are on hold until I get the other sorted. The lack of an available cargo barrier is annoying, any ideas?

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » September 11th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Hey there,

A 4b mechanic told me today that he heard that T2's can go into limp home mode after the exhaust has been done. I don't understand how this can happen considering boost isn't controlled by the ecu and the exhaust temps are not monitored by the ecu.

Anybody heard about this or experienced this?

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » September 15th, 2012, 7:26 am

Im pretty keen to find out the answer to your question as i'm looking to get an exhaust fitted to compliment my chip.

Plus...i have just had some new rims and tyres fitted and the guys at the tyre place said that i need to replace tierod end, idler arm assembly and pitman arm before they can do an alignment. while it was still in the workshop they quoted me $440 for the Idler arm assembly and passenger side tie rod end fitted...Expensive!
They also said that they cannot source a pitman arm for a T2 and that even Nissan cant supply.

My question is, are all these parts the same as the parts fitted to a wd21 pathfinder? are they likely to be cheaper?

i would like to go through and replace all worn parts but no extra cash to do it, would it be ok to replace just the parts that have been pointed out?

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » September 16th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Hey GT,

I'm going ahead with the exhaust I'll let you know.

With your steering the idler arm is a weak point and need a brace like the pic I sent you. You should be able to get replacement bushes for the arm.
Pitman Arm, why is it worn out there isn't a moving joint on it the moving joint is on the centre link. The centre link is a big issue for vague steering and accelerated tyre wear. This is what you should replace it with http://grassroots4x4.com/ it bomb proofs your steering you have to drill out the holes on the pitman arm and idler arm, but if you have wear in the taper its a great fix.
If you need a Pitman arm source it from the UK, available and cheaper.

Top ball joints are an issue too.

Some parts are the same as WD21, I'm still working out whats what at the moment.

Hows the T2 going with the chip fitted?

Return to “Other”