servicing

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
nifty nev
Avid Poster

servicing

Unread post by nifty nev » June 23rd, 2009, 10:52 pm

after owning the terrano for a week now, im going to attepmt a service on it.
ive changed oil and filters before... but have never done diffs, gearbox's and have never SEEN a transfer case....
any special tricks i need to know? HOW do you fill them? is a pump needed?.... how do you know they have the correct ammount in them?
forgive my naiveness.... love my cars, just have never really bothered to play around with them much.

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » June 23rd, 2009, 11:14 pm

generally with all diffs, gearboxes and transfer cases there are 2 hex head plugs in each....1 on the base which is the drain other about 1/3 to 1/2 way up is the fill plug

in short remove the fill plug and using your finger feel inside for the oil...it need to be filled to the level of the hole!!

yes a pump is easier to fill them but if you use /keep an old 1lt fluid bottle with the spout built in, use that as a squeeze bottle to fill, slow but works!!

if your draining them for new fluid, drain once warm, not HOT warm will drain better!!

get your self a work shop manual, will have some pics to help, along with the type of oils and capacities of each ......will be handy ever
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

nifty nev
Avid Poster

Unread post by nifty nev » June 23rd, 2009, 11:44 pm

sweet.... thanks mate...will attempt tomorrow.

mr_diesel60
Avid Poster

Unread post by mr_diesel60 » June 24th, 2009, 12:20 am

Basically what Toyoda said.... I've just done my diffs / gearbox / transfercase last month. A complete pain in the arse, and very messy!! I went down to bursons and bought a big syringe. It took forever, and i did it over two sessions. It is awkward and slow, but it beat paying a mechanic to do it!!

Good luck. It's messy fun but it's a good experience. Just use a large tarp underneath your car!!
1985 HJ-60 2H Naturally Asperated Slug.

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » June 24th, 2009, 8:19 am

some people use a little transfer pump that works in the chuck of a drill...one end in the diff other in the oil bottle

God i love working out of 20l drums and a decent pump!
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

nifty nev
Avid Poster

Unread post by nifty nev » June 24th, 2009, 11:56 am

service didnt happen as yet...sick kids, and doctors visits...
manged to score an alloy roo bar in good condition for ZERO bucks...
so when im off work for a few days that will be the next challenge...
it came off of a patrol, and mounts wont fit the terrano, so i will make some custom brackets so it fits up...
not sure if i really want to take off the front bumper or not to fit it...looks like it will need to have slots cut for the indicators as well..

Dasha
Here and there

Unread post by Dasha » August 3rd, 2009, 8:47 pm

You may want to remove thr filler plug first,before you drain a diff or gearbox/transfer case.A few months back i drained the oil out off the rear diff on my Terrano then discovered the filler plug wouldnt budge. i tryed all sorts of things to get it undone but it wouldnt undo.Ended up i had to weld a big bar on the plug and use a jack to "crack" the plug.Might save alot of walking and few days buggering around like i had to do.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Re: servicing

Unread post by terrano2buck » January 24th, 2015, 4:49 am

On the Terrano 2, the front Diff, Gearbox and Transfer case all take the same oil. Normal gear oil. Get a 20 lt drum from Supercheap and get the 20lt drum pump. Makes it so much easier to fill them up. Get a good long handle with a 1/2 inch square drive on the end. If it is too short, you will not be able to get enough leverage to get the bung plugs out. They get quite tight. The rear diff has a LSD so you will need the correct oil for this. Do not use normal gear oil in the rear diff. Ensure it is for LSD. The engine oil is a bit of a hastle. You have to be Go Go Gadget to get to the oil filter. Make sure you have an oil filter tool. You WILL get oil all down your arm. There is no way around it. They are a bugger to change. My Terrano takes about 6.2 litres of Turbo Diesel engine oil. Z503 Ryco filter is about $23 from supercheap auto. I change my engine oil in my 1999 Terrano 2 every 5000kms. Do it yourself to save money. I do my fuel filter ever 10000kms. I do the running gear oil every 40,000kms or more often if I have been doing a lot of water crossings.

Return to “Other”