terrano 2.7 td overheating

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
terrano2buck
Here and there

Re: terrano 2.7 td overheating

Unread post by terrano2buck » July 21st, 2013, 9:30 am

I live in FNQ and I am pretty sure my T2 has only started to get hot up hills since I put on a Diesel Smart Power chip. On the flat and low range it is fine. Only gets to 1/2 on the gauge. Up long hills at 100kph, it gets up to 3/4. I have installed new radiator, new thermostat, larger exhaust and it still does it. As soon as you hit the flat it is straight back down to just under half. Make sure if you are on long hills at speed, drop it back to 4th. Don't go up hills at 100kph in 5th even if it seems to be doing it pretty easy. That advice was straight from my mechanic. I am convinced that it is just the way the vehicle is. As long as it doesn't get in the red it will be OK. I have stopped worrying about mine. Be a bit of a worry if I was towing a camper trailer I think.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » July 21st, 2013, 9:32 am

Forgot to say on my last thread, the latest Nissan 3lt would be nice in the T-Rex. It would be unstoppable I reckon. I wonder if a Patrol donk would slip straight in?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 21st, 2013, 1:23 pm

Hey buck, as per the advice from your mechanic, diesel engines overheat when they get too much fuel or start to drop off air intake/boost while you keep your foot down, so trying to hold a higher gear/maintain speed on hills is likely to show you very quickly if your pump is pushing too much fuel. Trying to maintain speed in 5th as the boost drops off is a good way of cooking your engine, even if it feels as tho it's doing it easy! Turbo diesels should have an EGT & boost gauge for this very reason, so that as the boost starts to drop off and the EGT climbs, you can drive off those gauges and simply change down a gear & back off a tad once the EGT's start to climb or get too high. ;)

However, this overheating you report is also a good indication that your chip/pump settings are pushing the limits as far as over-fueling & heat stress on the engine is concerned, and the coolant temp gauge is simply not a reliable enough way of telling if the engine is managing - you either need to wind the fuel back until it NEVER overheats on long climbs & put up with the loss of power; or you need to get an EGT gauge installed & drive off that, but be warned that if you ignore or miss it climbing thru the top of the safe range, you may only have seconds before engine or turbo meltdown; or you could get it tuned/dyno-ed with an eye on EGT's so that the fuel gets set such that you don't/can't cook it - and since every single time the EGT's get high enough to push the coolant temps up you will be approaching 'melt metal' temps somewhere inside the turbo/engine, you need to do it soon!!

The damage you will be currently doing doing every time the coolant temp goes up is cumulative and eventually terminal in nature, so get it sorted ASAP and until you do, drive conservatively so that the coolant temps DON'T go up, especially on long hills or when you put your foot down in high gears. And while not getting the coolant temps into the red is a good idea, it won't necessarily mean that your EGT's aren't at melt the turbo or piston head temps, altho it probably means they aren't staying at melt metal temps for long! Still, metal that gets hot enough will begin to get 'plastic' and over time will lose strength & form or get brittle due to the frequent temp changes, all of which is why it's cumulative and eventually terminal.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » July 29th, 2013, 8:34 pm

T2B,

After 2000 the T2's in europe came out with a 3L option. The download workshop manual has all the 3L stuff in it. Its doable but the easiest way would be get a half cut from europe if you can. I haven't looked into it cause the QD3.2 from the Navara slots straight in , gearbox and all. This would be my option.

clatterbang
Here and there

Unread post by clatterbang » August 15th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Change your water pump to an Australian spec pump, the euro pumps cannot cope with Australian conditions, nor could the Jap pumps on the series ones, once changed if the rest of your system is good you will have no more problems

cwolf
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cwolf » October 6th, 2013, 8:25 am

So what is the difference between the "Aussie water pump" and the rest ?
I've looked at the original one off my Terrano and one off a navara wreck and a new one and can see no difference.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » October 13th, 2013, 7:19 pm

I used to own one of those beasties, what was described is perfectly normal, however when my fan clutch died, go to Super Cheap and order a 2.7 Navara aftermarket replacement waterpump (it is all one piece). Not only is it waaay cheaper than the rip off Nissan price, but it will help greatly. It won't fix it completely, it will still heat up quickly when working hard but it won't ever actually overheat and breakdown, and it will drop quickly once you take the load off. BTW the turbo is water cooled. Pray you never have to replace the two small hoses that feed it. Yes the TD27T is basically the TD 42 with 2 cylinders lopped off. This means it is an inheriently strong and reliable if unexciting engine. Consequently most of the front end stuff is cross compatible with TD42 Patrol or Navara TD 27, mine wore a wrecker sourced Navara alternator for years after the original one died and I didn't want to fork out ~ $1000 to Nissan for a new one. Eventually the Navara one died too and I replaced it with a Chinese copy - worked OK!
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

cwolf
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cwolf » October 13th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Hi cmar, seems to be the terrano's achillies heel.
I replaced the water pump just recently but I've ditched the viscous hub fan altogether and installed twin 12" thermo fans.
Much better than the stock fan nissan endowed them with but still not enough.
I need a new radiator as well so will most likely be gettin a custom 3 core made up for it.
Hopefully these mods together with a thermostat that opens earlier should do the trick.
Cheers.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » January 24th, 2015, 2:35 am

My Trex does the same. Work it hard uphill or try to stay on 100kph towing the boat and straight to 3/4. I thought it was the diesel smart module I got on it but I think it is a Terrano thing. As soon as you stop working it hard, down just under 1/2.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » May 16th, 2015, 2:20 pm

My terrano 2 was getting way too hot, especially towing the boat and going uphills. Thought it might have been the Diesel Smart module I put on. I disconnected it, didn't make a difference. My next door neighbour who is a mechanic pulled the viscous hub off the other day. When he pulled it apart, it had nothing inside. It is supposed to have a gel inside. Anyway I went to Toyota and got 4x tubes of this special viscous silicone gel. It is about $10 per tube. Troy put the gel inside and refitted the viscous hub. Wow it made a difference. The Terrano is running heaps cooler now. It isn't a big job guys. Yes you do have to take the radiator out which is an easy job but at least you can flush that at the same time. Get your viscous hub looked at. It could well be the problem. My terrano 2 tows the boat now and sits under 1/2 on the gauge. It still got hot at one stage but I was fully loaded and towing a boat up a steep range. It was working hard. On the flat and small hills, the temp was really good. I feel heaps more confident now that I have fixed the viscous hub. Nothing worse than seeing your gauge rise when the vehicle isn't working hard. I just got back from Cairns. On the highway unloaded and not towing, the gauge was on 1/3. Heaps cooler.

Return to “Other”