nissan terrano 2.7 turb diesel.
overheating uphill ?????
radiator been done and still doing it.
anyone knows about this problem??:confused:
[b]should change my name in "ROLLOVAJACK"[/b]

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » February 21st, 2008, 1:53 pm

I have heard this is is common, have you thought about putting a bigger exhaust system on.

Get the pump and injectors checked, might need tweaking.

Good luck

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » February 21st, 2008, 2:33 pm

Did you change the thermostat? Noone ever seems to consider that the thermostat might not be opening right up when it needs to.

Also check the viscous coupling for the fan. If its not working properly it'll overheat fairly quickly when its working hard.

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » February 21st, 2008, 8:33 pm

everything seems to work ok.
under normal driving it stays bit to cool i think.
just on a quarter.
at idle it slowly creeps up to half but goes down again when your driving.
and as soon as the turbo has to work hard on a hill it goes up real quick and seem to stop just over 3/4 on the gauge but this is not good.
a diesel should not get this hot.
i know it gets a bit warmer when the turbs needs to work hard but on my cruiser it never gets over half no matter how hard i flog it.
by the way , this is not my terrano but i'm working on the thing and need to find out what's going on with the thing.
will double check the thermostat again tomorrow and make sure it works properly.

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » February 22nd, 2008, 12:16 am

Water pump may need checking also.

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » February 22nd, 2008, 9:30 am

Heating up at idle is bloody obvious - replace the viscous hub on the fan. Or fill it up with more fluid like people do with the patrol hubs (cheaper option)

its heating up at idle because theres no airflow through the radiator.

Apart from that its probably also well worth the time to replace the thermostat AND the waterpump. Obviously the thermostat is there to keep the engine at a constant temperature and as this is not what it is doing it would be reasonable to assume it may not be functioning properly. Cooling system is one of the most neglected items on cars around the world, which is a ridiculous practise here in australia where the cooling system being up to scratch is extremily important.

Other cheaper things to start with are obviously flushing the whole cooling system and cleaning the radiator fins.

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » February 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm

nah! radiator has been cleaned out and fanclutch is ok.
am going to check the thermostat again and probably replace it to be sure.
take it from there and drive it again.
thanks all o you for your advise.
if a new therm doesn't work i'll be back

Yom
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yom » February 22nd, 2008, 6:05 pm

how do you know the fan clutch is ok?

the viscous hubs nissan use are known to be pretty shitty at the best of times!

chris&mel
Here and there

Unread post by chris&mel » February 22nd, 2008, 6:29 pm

We've had a Terrano II 2.7TD for about 4 years now and have worked out that the porblem you are describing is one of its idiosyncrosies. Ours usually sits on 3/8ths or so, cruise at 100 - 110 an it will rise to 1/2 and really push it on the beach or add a camper trailer and cruise at 100 - 110 and it'll soon go to 3/4 - 7/8. Doesn't seem to go any higher.

My understanding is that the 2.7 is 4 cylinders from the 4.2L six and the consensus is that the water galleries in the head aren't big enough to dissipate the heat quickly enough.

I think the solution is to give it a rest as soon as possible after you've worked it hard and it'll recover nicely. The heat doesn't seem to do them any harm.

We drove from Cobar to Broken Hill on a very hot day with the Camper in tow and it sat on 3/4+ for the whole time except when slowing down for a town or coasting down a hill. It seems to have done it no harm because that was 12 months ago and we've covered 25000 ks since.

SantaAus
Here and there

Unread post by SantaAus » March 6th, 2008, 9:47 pm

You will never cure the over heatibng problem with the 2.7 engine. I have replaced the radiator with a large 3 core, new viscous fan coupling, repacked with extra grase, new thermostat. (have trialed a 83degree, with and without extra 1/8th holes drilled in, a 78degree with and without 1/8th holes drilled. am now running a 78degree thermostat with 1 additional hole drilled. seems to to be the best so far. I have fitted a head temperature sensor. The 4by will run at around 80 degress normally, will hit 90-100 around town , depends on stop start trafficon the beach will sometimes get up to 110 then I will back off qand let her cooll down. as far as I am concerned the engine was not made for the qld heat. which I am ok about, but does limit me sometimes. My engine is in A1 condition, was rebuilt 30,000km's ago.

SantaAus

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » March 6th, 2008, 10:12 pm

did ya sort it out jack
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » March 6th, 2008, 10:20 pm

ive never had the displeasure of working on one ....
As they are a turbo.. what does it have in the way of turbo cooling??

and as for peoples questions/comments or Understanding re the viscous fan ..a viscous fan only serves a purpose at idle or at other low speed times where airflow thru the radiator is reduced/not available.....when there is forced air through the radiator the viscous fan is irrelevant....

Jack...im not gunna tell you how to suck eggs either...obviously youve dont the normal stuff, u know what ya doing ...
...id look at cooling the turbo down..
...upping the exhaust size
...stuff a thermo fan in there ( along with main fan if can fit infront..)
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Terrano-saurus
Been here a while

Unread post by Terrano-saurus » March 7th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Mine has a 2 and 1/4 inch exhaust with a straight thru muffler, K & N air filter, 12psi boost, re-directed anti pollution (so it does not go back into the intake), 82 degree thermostat, and I adjusted the fuel adjustment screw so that the EGT do not go over about 550 post turbo. I do not have a problem with overheating
1993 Nissan Terrano Wide body, 2.7TD, 5spd manual, 5door, JGC springs 2.5 inch, Turbotech boost controller set at 12 psi boost :thumb: , Pyro gauge, turbo boost gauge. MY other toy is my self modified Harley with big cams, stage 4 heads, etc

MR MAC GU
Avid Poster

Unread post by MR MAC GU » March 7th, 2008, 4:23 pm

You need to run it on a dyno under power and have the exhaust temp checked it may need more fuel.

Terrano-saurus
Been here a while

Unread post by Terrano-saurus » March 8th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Yes he got it sorted, below is a messgae that offroadjack sent me via a PM

Originally Posted by offroadjack
Hey buddy, guess what....it was the water pump/visco fan clutch which is one thing, never seen anything like it before, but anyway the pump has been replaced but probably an aftermarket one as there are 2 different pumps. We got the one that was made for the oz conditions and makes a hell of a difference! The old pump was new BUT not the Australian version visco clutch on it. Went for a drive and climbed the big hill on full throttle and it climbed up to just over half and that's where it stayed which is good!
toy yoda wrote:did ya sort it out jack
1993 Nissan Terrano Wide body, 2.7TD, 5spd manual, 5door, JGC springs 2.5 inch, Turbotech boost controller set at 12 psi boost :thumb: , Pyro gauge, turbo boost gauge. MY other toy is my self modified Harley with big cams, stage 4 heads, etc

Return to “Other”