Info on terrano II

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
jinxi
I'm new, be nice!

Info on terrano II

Unread post by jinxi » December 24th, 2007, 9:45 am

G'day,
does anyone have any info on a 1997 terrano II. I cant seem to find what iam looking for if i use the search function. I have found one at a local yard for a good price and just want to know if you can get a snorkel or any other mods for this vehicle.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated :thumb:
When you take out all shades of grey theres only black and white...........

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » December 24th, 2007, 10:15 am

terrano+2 - Google Search=

Go through these reviews, The TD27 is a good motor, apparently the speedo's dont like going over 70mph (I think its about a 115kph).

I haven't heard to many bad things about them.

FullyInjected4x4
Here and there

Unread post by FullyInjected4x4 » December 24th, 2007, 12:17 pm

My girfriend bought one and it is a great 4wd, its followed my patrol though alot of places without problems and probably out does the patrol on the beach until the rutts get big, but maxtrax keep it going. Dual battery trays are available, Toughdog do a 30mm lift, An airtec mazda barvo snorkel will fit and East coast bars make a bullbar for it. In standard form it goes alot of places.
Get the 2.7 turbo diesiel not the petrol. Change the air filter regually and get genuine nissan filter its better than after market one which is hard to find and dont bother with the K&N washable ones, because the air flow sensor doesnt like them.
They have a real 4wd drive line in them, with a transfer case, high and low 4wd and a patrol like Limited slip diff in the rear. Not like the xtrails and other compact 4wd which are just all wheel drives. Probably the best compact 4wd ever build.
Never had a problem with the speedo.

dakar61
Avid Poster

Unread post by dakar61 » December 24th, 2007, 6:47 pm

These are not a bad little fourby at all. The TD27T is as tough as goats knees and they go quite well. I have driven both autos & manuals and I prefer the manual and have also heard the auto can be exxy to repair.

Things to watch for are; air mass sensors die young esp. if they are downstream of a non genuine filter, symptoms; absolutely no power. Injector pumps tend to have a fairly finite life also. We see them around the 200 to 250,000km mark for major work. The pump on the Brazilian car is a Bosch unit, as opposed to the Zexel in the R50 & Pathfinder models, and is dearer to rebuild. Symptoms are; power loss, hesitation on acceleration, changing idle speed and hard to start hot. Turbos tend to behave themselves if the engine has been well serviced.
Hope this helps.
[font=Tahoma][size=100][color=blue][i]Cheers, Dakar61[/i][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=75][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=75]"[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]I see DEAD diesels.....ALLLLLLL the time"[/font][/size][/font]

chris&mel
Here and there

Unread post by chris&mel » January 2nd, 2008, 8:51 am

We've had a 97 TD for about 5 years now. Just turned over 225,000Ks as we finished a 3 month, 25,000 tour of WA with a fairly heavy camper trailer. No problems and economy about 13-14l/100Ks. Only problem we've had was a starter motor about three years ago. Standard replacement cost about $2000 but a 2nd hand (Navara I think) fitted for about $400. In our experience its reasonable comfortable, performs well and will go almost anywhere. Thoroughly recommended.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Re: Info on terrano II

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 11th, 2012, 1:34 pm

I am glad I finally found a site with other Terrano 2 owners. Well I bought mine in Brisbane in 2002 when it was still under new car warranty. I got the Terrano 2 as I had a Terrano 1 when I was working up in PNG. 1st thing I noticed about the Terrano 2 was it was absolutely gutless. Took it back to Nissan and they didn't find the problem. Anyway months later after putting up with the total lack of power, I took it to a mechanic in Townsville. He couldn't work out the problem either. Just so happened that there was another Terrano 2 in the workshop that day for a service. He took the Mass airflow meter out of that one and put it on mine. Away it went like a beauty. Trouble is the new one cost me $800. Yep it was out of warranty. Every Terrano 2 I know of has had problems with the MAF. Nissan hould have done a recall on the bloody things. If it ever goes again, you can get them far cheaper on ebay. Bosch ones on there for $200.

Anyway since then I have had it into Pedders for a suspension upgrade. Heavy duty shockies, they wound it up 2inches to give more clearance. I then fitted 31"all terraíns onto it. I also got 31" muddies but they were scrubbing so I had to do some cutting with a hacksaw. No problems now. I run the mud tyres only when I go on tris as they do effect the fuel consumption compared to the all terrains. I got a custom stainless steel snorkel made for it at Stainless Customs in Townsville. Looks real good and only cost $450 fitted which is pretty good value.

Supercheap Auto have got roof racks to fit it as well as a luggage basket to put the swags etc for trips.

Got a dual battery system fitted. Piranah have a tray for the Terrano 2. I also got a Ctek dual 250s DC to DC charger for the battery system. Does a great job keeping both batteries charged up and I also have 120w solar panels that I can hook into the Ctek when I am stationary for a few days camping.

Did a CV shaft 4wdíng. Pedders have CV shafts for the Terrano 2. Supercheap have fuel and oil filters. I get my air filters from the UK via Ebay. No dramas there and it saves me a bit of money.

Yep, my diesel pump just deleloped a leak. It has done 235,000 kms so it seems they do encounter problems around this time. Wasn't bloody cheap to fix either. New seal kit by Cairns Diesel services.

2 days ago I got a 2.5 in mandrel bent exhaust system fitted in Cairns for $1100. Could not source one already made. I have ordered a diesel smart power module and it will be getting fitted in a week or so. Can't wait to see the difference it makes. My local mechanic is supplying, fitting and dyno tuning the diesel smart module for $990 which is bloody good. Roo systems want $1400 unfitted and Steinbauer about $1500. From all reports the diesel smart modules are very good. Good reviews from some Navara owners as to the power difference. The old 2.7 can do with a bit more power and torque.

I have also looked into diff lockers for the T2. ARB want over $2500 for a rear air locker. Can't justify this expense at this present time. I have however just ordered a 4wd systems Lokka. It is an automatic front Lokka for the T2. $570 delivered from SA to FNQ. They are apparently Aussie made and have good reviews. With installation (4-5 hours labour) it should be about the $1000 mark. Everyone worries about on road performance. When it is on the road, I will be in 2wd so it will not effect the steering at all. The front auto lokka only comes into play whn you engage 4H or 4L. From all reviews it will make a hell of a difference in the tough stuff.

Can't wait to tackle the Cape next year. All in all I love my little Terrano 2. Mates think it is a soft 4wd like xtrails, Klugers etc but I know what it can do. It is a very capable 4wd and it will be even better when I get the front Lokka and diesel smart power module in the next cuple of weeks. Stay tuned, I will give you all an update once it is done.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 20th, 2012, 9:42 pm

If you have a 2.7TDi Terrano 2, put a diesel module on it. Just fitted a 2.5in exhaust and diesel smart module. The difference is amazing. Well worth the money.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » November 1st, 2012, 11:24 pm

Well I have finally got the front Lokka fitted and I picked it up this afternoon. Straight out to the wombat holes where I blew my CV earlier in the year. Well I got onto the gravel road leading to the creek and put her in 4H. Instantly I noticed a difference in the steering. It is a funny feeling. It is like somebody is under the bloody car jiggling the steering as you are driving it. You really have to keep a firm grip on the wheel at any sort of speed. I got to the wombat holes and put it into low range. Going to the creek I was on 2 wheels and it felt like it was going to tip. Coming back the other way which is where I blew the CV last time I crawled through at a real slow speed. 2 wheels in the air and she just kept crawling nice and easy. No need to bounce it up the wombat holes. No chance of damaging the vehicle either. I can already tell that this front Lokka from 4wd systems is going to make my Terrano 2 an even more capable vehicle. Going back tomorrow to do it again and get some photos and video. All going well, the CREB track from Daintree to Wujul Wujul on Sunday. That will be a great test for it. I think the more I drive it in 4wd the more used to it I will get. Forget what people say about not being able to steer. You can still steer no worries at all. It just feels like it wants the centre so you have to keep pressure on the wheel. No change in 2wd. Just like normal. I didn't notice any clunking noise from the Lokka disengaging. Neither did my mechanic when he test drove it. Seems very quite. I think if you hear loud clunking noises, you may not have installed it properly.

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » November 20th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Great news terrano2buck. If you trouble post pics PM me and I'll give you my email address.

How the power modes going? Any more fuel figures?

Cheers, Paul

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » January 1st, 2013, 4:36 pm

Last refuel was 11.28 lts per 100kms. I guess that is not too bad considering I am running bigger 31"tyres. The diesel module has made it better on fuel but I will never get back into the 10's again unless I throw on the smaller tyres which will then not be as good going through the rough stuff. I can handle 11's. Talking to my mate last night. He has a 100 series petrol cruiser. He is about 20lts per 100kms so I feel pretty good now. Fraser Island in 3 weeks. Bring it on.

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » January 2nd, 2013, 9:36 pm

That is great figures with 31" tyres on. Enjoy Fraser Island like to see some pics of the T2 in action.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » January 30th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Boys I am back from Fraser and the Terrano 2 kicked arse. Got to snatch out a GQ patrol and a Toyota Prado as well as pushing out a few other idiots that don't know about letting down your tyres in soft sand. Fraser in January 2013 was pretty bad. I have been there a few times but the tracks were real bad this time. Extremely soft sand and rough as guts. The Terrano 2 didn't look like getting stuck. The diesel smart module was great. It gave me the power just when I needed it. And more good news, on the way home to Innisfail in FNQ I managed to get her into the high 10's per 100kph. This is the first time I have got the fuel consumption in the 10's since fitting larger tyres over 6 years ago. So the diesel smart module has made it better on fuel as long as you drive it smart and not like an idiot. I got a few comments on Fraser. That's a tough little Nissan was one comment as I was snatching out a Prado. The front Lokka has made the world of difference also. I am used to the steering now and when I put the foot down in the soft sand the lokka just got me up on top of the loose stuff no worries at all. Not sure what ARB Lockers are like but the steering with the Lokka from 4wd systems fitted is no worries at all. Bit strange at first but when you get used to it, the steering is OK. The T2 is running like a dream at the moment. Next project, a rear storage system.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » April 9th, 2013, 2:54 pm

G'day fellow Trex owners. Thought I would do another update as I have just come back off a pretty good 4wd trip down to do the Dalbeg Track near the Burdekin south of Townsville. Type Dalbeg track into youtube so you can see it for yourself. The Dalbeg is a pretty hardcore place for 4wd's compared to a lot of places. This is low range only territory. I went with 4 other vehicles. 3 patrols and a JK Jeep Wrangler. Let me say that the Trex held its own against the big boys. I am really happy with its low range capabilities. There were a heap of steep hills with large wombat holes. Locker territory. The front lokka crawled the Terrano 2 everywhere. Didn't look like stopping. Really happy with the Trex. Never let anyone say it is a soft 4wd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » April 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm

The Trex in action, Dalbeg Track NQ. Didn't miss a beat. If you have a Terrano 2 and want better performance, obviously a lift, better suspension and good tyres. Then throw on a 2.5"exhaust, diesel smart chip and a front Lokka. This thing kept up with the patrols and did everything they did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro97
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by pedro97 » April 12th, 2014, 7:36 am

Do you still have your Terrano II? I am interested in what you did to get more power out of the 2.7 diesel.
I have inherited mine 4 years ago at age 13 with 90,000K on clock. Kissed and put to bed every night, never set foot on beach or serious off road. :lol: I knew this vehicle from new and it was stock standard. Never so much as a scratch or dint on the paintwork. Hardest driving it ever did was towing a van on the black top.
4wding was new to me so I set off doing off road and soft sand course through RACQ. I have since been hooked.
Started modifying the vehicle so I could take in a few trips to Moreton island. Have done:-
Bull Bar with IPF Sports 900 Lights
Airflow Snorkel
2nd Battery with BCDC & rear vehicle power(fridge coming soon)
Couplertec rust protector
Cooper AT3 tyres
On Board ARB compressor
GME Radio
150 litre long range fuel tank
Full suspension replacement to give 2" lift. King Springs and Torsion bars with Oztec Shocks. Just did Fraser Island and what a difference this has made. reality was got 3" lift as old springs rather sagged from towing van. Air bags going on over Easter.
Have had a couple of expensive maintenance issues along the way but I suspect that in part, is the change in off road driving. New clutch, diesel fuel pump rebuild, new starter motor after doing some "duck diving" on Fraser and both master cylinders.
Have found this to be one very tough truck. To date have kept up with the mates patrols, cruisers and prados. Rescued 100 series landcruiser and snatched out Pajero no problems.
Really interested in what you did to get more power and specs on front lockers???
Look forward to hearing from you.
Peter Walden

Return to “Other”