Power upgrades Terrano 2

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
pedro97
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Power upgrades Terrano 2

Unread post by pedro97 » May 25th, 2014, 9:04 am

Hi Terrano2buck,
Have been reading this forum for 3 weeks now and amazed at what I have found out about my Terrano II. I thought I was the only person alive wanting to go off road in a Terrano!!! Very interested in the diesel chip you put in your vehicle. Yes the roo system will cost a King's ransome.

I have inherited mine 4 years ago at age 13 with 90,000K on clock. Kissed and put to bed every night, never set foot on beach or serious off road. :lol: I knew this vehicle from new and it was stock standard. Never so much as a scratch or dint on the paintwork. Hardest driving it ever did was towing a van on the black top.
4wding was new to me so I set off doing off road and soft sand course through RACQ. I have since been hooked.
Started modifying the vehicle so I could take in a few trips to Moreton island. Have done:-
Bull Bar with IPF Sports 900 Lights
Airflow Snorkel
2nd Battery with BCDC & rear vehicle power(fridge coming soon)
Couplertec rust protector
Cooper AT3 tyres
On Board ARB compressor
GME Radio
150 litre long range fuel tank
Full suspension replacement to give 2" lift. King Springs and Torsion bars with Oztec Shocks. Just did Fraser Island and what a difference this has made. reality was got 3" lift as old springs rather sagged from towing van. Air bags now in as well.
Have had a couple of expensive maintenance issues along the way but I suspect that in part, is the change in off road driving. New clutch, diesel fuel pump rebuild, new starter motor after doing some "duck diving" on Fraser and both master cylinders.
Have found this to be one very tough truck. To date have kept up with the mates patrols, cruisers and prados. Rescued 100 series landcruiser and snatched out Pajero no problems.
Really interested in what you did to get more power and specs on lockers???
Look forward to hearing from you.
Peter Walden
Peter Walden

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » May 29th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the T2 owners group. I have to ask where did the big fuel tank come from?

Thanks, Paul

pedro97
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by pedro97 » May 31st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Paul,
I priced a fuel tank through Opposite Lock for approx. $1600 however would have to be shipped from WA to QLD.
As luck would have it, I found my tank at the wreckers the very next week on a T2. It was about the only useful thing left. Removed it myself for the princely sum of $40. It cost me a further $20 for the pump seal which had to be replaced. Other than that it was an after market factory made tank complete with baffles which I installed myself. Made a huge difference to my last trip to Fraser Island. Spent 5 days touring the island and refuelled back on the mainland. The heavy duty springs and airbags have also assisted with extra weight. Regards
Peter Walden

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » January 29th, 2015, 10:57 am

How did you go with the chip pedro97?

I have fitted a Steinbauer Module myself and there is a massive difference in drivability. Pls note that doesn't mean huge gains in power but certainly is quicker, way more pulling power between 3000-4000rpm. This was fitted a year after fitting a 2.5in exhaust with a custom dump pipe that has exhaust wrap down to the gearbox. I have also fitted an intercooler fan before the module fitment.

I would say if I took everything back to stock there would be a big difference in power, but since I have added bits over time the overall difference feels less than the actual result.

Best bit it cost in total including the fan less $1500. You can pick up a correct module from Denco Diesel for less that $500 delivered and this isn't hard to fit. The worst bit is feeding the throttle signal wire through the firewall and then finding the correct variable voltage signal on the electronic loud pedal.

Pls note I do need to a dyno tune, though this will waiting until I fit a boost gauge and EGT gauge and a variable boost tap since I want to up the boost a couple of PSI.

I hope this helps, sorry for the delay.

Return to “Other”