Power upgrades Terrano 2

Terrano, 720, X-Trail
terrano2buck
Here and there

Power upgrades Terrano 2

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 15th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Thought I would start a new topic as I have just had a power upgrade done to my Terrano 2. Since putting 31" tyres onto my Terrano 2 1999 2.7lt TDi, I have noticed that it does not have to get up and go that it used to have. Yep its 4wd capability is far better due to the 2" lift and bigger tyres however speed and fuel consumption have suffered. Last week I got a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust put on the old girl. It certainly felt better up through the gears and it felt like I didn't have to change down the gears as much around corners etc. My local mechanic Is an agent for Super Car Performance in Mackay who distribute Diesel Smart Modules. These modules are made in Germany and they have them for common rail diesels and also the EFI diesel pumps like what is on the Terrano 2. He rang me today to let me know that he has fitted the module. It was an easy fit as he has never done a Terrano 2 before. He said that it was an easier fit than a lot of the Landcruisers he has done. Basically he is very impressed with the increase in performance. He dyno tested it before the fit and also after the fit. He told me the figures and I will post them when I get back home. He took it for a drive and he said I will not recognise it when I drive it. The power is far greater and I am pretty sure the increase in torque was about 35%. I have read that the Terrano 2 puts out 92kw. They get nowhere near that. Mechanic said it may produce that at the fly wheel but not at the rear wheels. I will be doing some trips soon to check the fuel consumption. When I was running the metric 235 tyres I was getting in the 10lts per 100kms. Since putting on the 31" tyres I am getting high 11's and sometimes low 12's. i am hoping I can get it back down in the 10's per 100kms. Stay tuned folks for some exact figures after I have run it for a few weeks. He has a printout for me of the increase in kw and nm as well as fuel air ratio. From all reports they are impressive figures. Can't wait to get back home from work down South.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Re: Power upgrades Terrano 2

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 20th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Picked up my Terrano 2 and drove it around today just on road, no off road stuff yet. Well the Diesel Smart module and exhaust has made a huge difference. It is like driving a different vehicle. Lots more power off the mark and the torque is the best part. Drove up the Palmerston Highway today and it flew up the hills in 5th gear. I normally have to drop it down to 4th on some of the hills but it has heaps of grunt now. Before when I hit a hill you could see the speedo fall to 80kph. Now it sits easily on 100kph up the hills in 5th gear.

Power at the back wheels has gone from 51.7 kw to 81.1kw. Doesn't sound much but it has made a huge difference. Torque went from about 180nm to 240nm. This is where I notice the difference. Pulls up hills nicely now and I don't have to drop it dow the gears near as much. Hardly have to touch the right pedal now to sit her on 100kph on the highway and it gets there a hell of a lot faster.

Too early to tell on the fuel. Filled up today so I will see how it goes. Last tank averaged out at 11.92 lts per 100kms. That is running tyres 2 in bigger than normal. I lost about 50lts per tank when I went to 31"'tyres.

First impressions of the diesel smart module, bloody excellent. Love it and should have done it years ago.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 21st, 2012, 9:11 pm

Just to add to my topic on the Diesel Smart module on my Terrano 2. I did the first refuell today after getting it fitted.

My last fill before getting the module fitted, the Terrano 2 got 11.98lts per 100kms. That is with me running bigger 31'' tyres. Bear in mind I was in the 10's running the standard 235 size tyres. The last couple of days I have been doing some road trips close to home and was running the A/C most of the time. Milage today was 11.02 per 100kms. So it looks like the module is saving me close to 1 ltr per 100kms. Not too bad. The best part is still the torque. Chugs along nicely now and if I get under it the power is certainly there. Used to take a while to get up to 100kph now I am there before I know it.

Front Lokka getting fitted on Wednesday. Then it will be time to hit the 4wd tracks around Cardwell, get it into low range and see how it goes.

If you have a Terrano 2, get a power module!!!!!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 21st, 2012, 9:17 pm

Sounds good - more power, better torque, AND improved fuel economy!! Imagine what that extra fuel economy could be if you didn't drive it to use that extra power & torque, just drove it like you used to! ;)

Don't forget to give us a report once you done some 4WD tracks - pics too?! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

Absolutely mate. Front Lokka getting fitted so when I get home this time I will be straight down to Cardwell to do the power lines. Great little tracks down there. Soon as I get home it will be in the shed, off with the A/T's on with the Maxxis bighorns and into it. Must admit I am a bit nervous about the front Lokka. Good thing with the front auto lokka is it only comes into play when I go to 4wd unlike the rear ones. I have one place I want to try with some wombat holes. Blew a CV last time. Should be able to crawl through this time all going well.

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » October 23rd, 2012, 12:38 pm

Great information shared. Thanks you have just helped me decide on my next steps.

Lets us know how your truck goes off road with the extra power and the lokka?

Thanks.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 23rd, 2012, 3:19 pm

A good result all round.
Just a note about the extra power.
If you are going to use the extra torque to power up hills which you used to have the hit 4th or even 3rd, then with the power it might be a good idea to drop to 4th and use the straight through in the box, cos the piddly little outrigger 5th gear in most boxes will possibly collapse, then no 5th at all.
If that happens the hard bits will immediately go through the rest of the gear teeth and then you no drive anymore.
Then the chip isn't cheap.
As Peter suggested, use the power wisely for best results.

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 23rd, 2012, 10:02 pm

Thanks for that advice mate. I will put it in the memory bank. Yeah last thing you need is gearbox problems. That just means one thing, Big Money. I remember driving a couple of troopies and they had a sticker, never drive in 5th unless you are over 80kph.

Hey just worked out the increase in % on the diesel smart module since getting it installed.

Power up by 56.86%

Torque up by 33%.

I had a guess earlier on when I got the dyno chart back and said it was about 35% for the torque. Wasn't far off. Got the calculator out today at work.

Singlespeeder
Here and there

Unread post by Singlespeeder » October 25th, 2012, 9:11 am

When is the torque coming in now? Hopefully around 1500rpm?

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » October 25th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Away from home working at the moment. I will post more once I get home in about a week and put it through the ringer!!! Can't wait to see the difference the front lokka makes.

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » October 29th, 2012, 6:39 pm

So good to hear that you are happy with your power up grades.
After having dramas sourcing and fitting some steering components( i now browse UK pages for stuff i need, thanks for the heads up) i'm stoked to say that i have finally booked Green T to have the Roo systems chip, i bought what feels like ages ago, fitted. I am also going with a 2.5" mild steel,mandrel bent exhaust.
I booked it in for next tuesday on my way home from work tonight, got home and and just read your post.
I cant wait!
Loving the car more and more. Steering is now solid and true. Finally put my new rims and 30" A/T's back on it and if the power upgrade is as good as yours sounds i think i'll be happy for quite a while...Well maybe... :rolleyes:
If you're lucky enough to be at the beach...you're lucky enough!

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » April 10th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Hey Green T. How is the roo systems chip going mate? I was going to get one but the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I think they wanted $1400 unfitted when I rang them. I got the diesel smart module supplied, fitted and dyno tuned for $990 and I am very happy with it. I am sure the roo will kick arse however.

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » April 18th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Hey T2Buck
The chip and exhaust upgrade, as you said is well worth it if you are after a big increase in horse power. Iam really happy with Roo systems chip.
I went through a bit of a long winded process to get my car to where it is, but i have power to burn now. Through the journey i found out that the fuel was lean( fuel pump was not set up right) and that the MAF needed replacing. I was only getting 38kw in the beginning and even after the two upgrades it was only around 50kw. I havent had it on the dyno since its all finished but it is definitely pushing out a lot more than that now.
To be honest, i probably wouldn't have got the chip if i had sussed the these problems properly first but it's fun to drive now.

Now im trying to decide whether to buy a replacement electric window mechanism or change them all to manual.

Green T
Here and there

Unread post by Green T » April 18th, 2013, 8:32 pm

It cost me around 1500 and a lot of hours...but im slowly getting to know my T2 :)

terrano2buck
Here and there

Unread post by terrano2buck » May 2nd, 2013, 9:18 pm

G'day Green T.

When I first got my Terrano 2 at the end of 2002, it was a gutless piece of S#$t. It had nothing. Turned out to be the mass airflow meter. I honestly think that is why the original owner got rid of it and Nissan were no help at all. My local mechanic trouble shooted the problem for me but it took some finding. I think all T-Rex's had this problem and Nissan should have done a bloody recall on them. Cost me $800 to replace mine. They are heaps cheaper on Ebay now a days. Bosch does one. Mine is still going well. No problems with it. Did some serious stuff a few weeks ago and it went anywhere the patrols went, thanks mainly to the front Lokka. Bloody thing crawls everywhere now. No more slipping and spinning. It just crawls up wombat holes like they are not there. Really want to do the CREB track this dry season followed by cold beers at the Lions Den Hotel near Cooktown.

Return to “Other”