1987 Pathfinder engine removal

Nevyn64
I'm new, be nice!

1987 Pathfinder engine removal

Unread post by Nevyn64 » February 26th, 2016, 8:24 pm

I'm having to take the engine (Z24) out of my 1987 Nissan Pathfinder.
I have it all ready, but the sump is hitting on driveline from the front diff. In the manual it says to "remove the bolts that attach the rear mounting member of the front differential to the frame."
What piece is this (it doesn't show it in the book), and how difficult is it to remove?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 1987 Pathfinder engine removal

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 26th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Stick your head under the car behind the front diff... If you look, you should be able to see the bolts that hold the back of the diff up into the chassis/cross member - support the diff (on a jack) & remove those bolts then lower the diff down a little. It isn't hard at all, but by dropping the diff down just an inch or two it makes it sooo much easier to lift'n'tilt the motor up & out of the engine bay.

Hope that helps a little, good luck. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Nevyn64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nevyn64 » February 27th, 2016, 8:25 am

Thanks Peter.....that should help.....I have added the photo to be sure I have the right cross member.
I have also read that I need to remove the front and primary drive shafts out as well, is this correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2016, 8:46 am

Are you trying to pull the engine alone (ie, separated from the g/box & trans case) or the whole eng, g/box, trans case? If it's just the engine (& you generally hafta separate the box from underneath first to do that) then you shouldn't have to drop the parts numbered 1 & 4 on your diagram (altho it might make things easier.... :o) IIRC I just lowered the diff down an inch or two, then (once all the mounts & other connections were off) lifted the engines forwards & up, tilting them as they went so they came out at about a 60 degree angle (but it has been fair while since I played with one of those Pathies!! We even sold our R50 a few years back!! :( )

Certainly if you are trying to pull the complete engine/trans assy it'll be a helluva lot easier to drop everything you can from in front of the engine & from underneath, (including dropping the rear cross member & then removing it/sliding it out from under the car first!) so that you can let the trans end swing freely down as you lift the engine front end to clear the panels up front. And if you are going to do that, you need to have a fairly tall cross beam & endless chain lift arrangement or similar to lift everything high enough to get it all out of the engine bay!! Oh, & whatever way you try to pull things out of the engine gay, it's gonna be easier if you take the bonnet off first!! It might be obvious to some, but I've seen quite a few try to do this sort of stuff with the bonnet in situ, & it really does make things unnecessarily hard!! :rolleyes:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Nevyn64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nevyn64 » February 27th, 2016, 9:33 am

Yer, I'm just taking the engine out on its own to put into another pathfinder......with the bolts on the crossmember, do you undo the ones that go up through the diff with the nuts on the top? If so I think I'll need me rattle gun cos those are tight as, as well as difficult to get to with the engine already as far forward as it will go.....
will let you know how I go

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2016, 9:52 am

Sorry, I can't remember undo-ing any 'nuts on the top'.... but that could well be due to my increasingly capable 'forgettory' rather than anything else! :o But I do know I didn't use a rattle gun, didn't have one back then! And my hands certainly remember that now! ;)

Nevyn64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nevyn64 » February 27th, 2016, 12:16 pm

still having no luck....the crossmember is sitting on the torsion bars....have been trying to pry it across with a jimmy bar, but not getting it to come across yet.....no wonder a mechanic wanted $300 to change the sump gasket about 4yrs ago

Nevyn64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nevyn64 » February 27th, 2016, 8:05 pm

engine is out of the donor car, but only because I undone the gearbox cross member, disconnected the main tail shaft from the rear diff, and took out the front tail shaft....I was able to push the gearbox back far enough to get the shaft out of the cluctch and lift the engine straight up with the back a bit higher than the front

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Weelll, if that's what it takes?! :o

OR, maybe you dould drop all the body mount bolts out & lift the front end of the body a little, just enough to get the engine clear & start lifting it..... :thumb:

Sorry, don't mind me... :sillywink:

Return to “Pathfinder”