Nissan Pathfinder R50 mods

scottybaz87
Getting to know the place

Nissan Pathfinder R50 mods

Unread post by scottybaz87 » January 25th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Hey guys im only new to these forums so please excuse my lack of extensive knowledge on vehicle modifications ect.

I own a 2002 pathfinder R50 st. has high K's but is in good nick for its age so ive decided to open my heart (or should i say wallet) and add some extra's to make it more suitable for fishing/camping trips and day trips with the family.

ive attached my own mesh platfrom to the original nissan cross bars (i had to track them down from wreckers because they didnt come with the base model) and a tigers 11 2x2 awning.

i am considering some new suspension, maybe a slight lift, and some steel wheels with mud tyres.. does anyone have any advice on the optimal wheel/tyre combinations for offroad driving and what sort of suspension set ups might give me good off-road performance without breaking the budget?

any advice for any other mods suitable to this model of vehicle would be appreciated..

also anyone with a similar vehicle that has added extras onto their pathys let me know what youve done! im on a low budget so DIY/cheap ideas are welcome!
Nissan R50 Pathfinder ST 2002. 2x ARB spotlights, factory nissan bullbar, DIY false floor with sliding drawer system and hatches, uniden UHF radio antenna, kenwood cd player, tigers 11 awning, factory nissan roof rails with DIY mesh platform attachment. More mods to come..

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Nissan Pathfinder R50 mods

Unread post by hoyks » January 25th, 2014, 10:25 pm

pcoa.org.au would be a good start. Lots of blokes, and girls, played with the R50 there.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 26th, 2014, 2:06 pm

There is a lot of stuff here on the Forum about Pathfinders, a fair whack in the Tech Sections under Pathfinder and a few Member's Rides & Projects as well, so it's worth a look. I haven't done anything specific in the way of searching, but something in all the threads below might help you find the info you are after, or at least give you some ideas! ;)

search.php?keywords=Pathfinder&terms=al ... mit=Search

Bear in mind tho, that with the monocoque construction and the strut front end, you will probably be restricted to about 40-45 mm of lift up the front unless you want to start doing things like diff drops or fitting longer arms & spindles etc, and that can get expensive fairly quickly. The rear end is not so hard to lift, but the 'frame/construction method' of the Pathy isn't quite as tough overall for off roading as it is on the Patrols & other vehicles with full chassis' & suspension mounted to that, so you do need to err on the side of caution back there too or you can break important things & make your vehicle unsafe!!

Still, there is a fair whack of stuff around to mod them up for most tastes; with most of the major stuff you might want available (except for snorkels for some reason!?) including things like bull bars, long range tanks, rock rails etc. They make a pretty good daily driver with some real off road capability, even if they might not be quite as capable in the extreme stuff as the Patrols etc; and the engine does use a bit of fuel if you work it hard too!! But you can get a Detroit Locker for the rear (it's the same as the Patrol Front Detroit) and fitting one of them back there with a good set of tyres under the vehicle can help them go just about anywhere you can drive, within the given ground clearance constraints of course!! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

scottybaz87
Getting to know the place

suspension & lift on R50 pathfinder question

Unread post by scottybaz87 » January 30th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I have a feeling that this may be a topic already covered but from sifting through the posts i am still yet to find some concrete information on suspension and lifting an R50 pathfinder...

i currently operate a 2002 r50 ST pathfinder and have decided to add accessories to turn it into a suitable camping/off-road driving vehicle, I have added a new cd player, a mesh platform roofrack and tigers 11 awning, it had a bullbar and ARB spotlights when i bought it and im halfway through building a false-floor with a sliding drawer system in the back.. im looking for mods i can do that wont break the budget but will help turn this into a decent all-rounder for camping and hitting tracks.

my question is, from standard, how high can the pathfinder be lifted (without breaking the law), what type of suspension is suitable (for off road use) and what type and size tyres would also go with the lift/suspension change?

i wouldnt mind a small lift and some steel rims with mud tyres, i dont want anything ridiculous or against the law.

any advice and links to where i could purchase said items would be greatly appreciated, i have my own mechanic so i dont need referral to workshops, just types of parts and where might be suitable to find them.

Cheers
Nissan R50 Pathfinder ST 2002. 2x ARB spotlights, factory nissan bullbar, DIY false floor with sliding drawer system and hatches, uniden UHF radio antenna, kenwood cd player, tigers 11 awning, factory nissan roof rails with DIY mesh platform attachment. More mods to come..

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 30th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Return to “Pathfinder”