D22 Oil dipstick - accuracy.

Ridgie
Here and there

D22 Oil dipstick - accuracy.

Unread post by Ridgie » November 29th, 2009, 7:38 am

Hi folks,

I have a concern about the accuracy of the oil dipstick in my 2006 D22.

Since getting it I have changed the oil twice - once to do the filter and ensure I had clean oil, the second time was to ensure I had not over filled with oil due to the dipstick showing way over the full mark.

6.7 litres with filter change.
6.2 litres without filter change.

These are the measurments I got from this forum for a 2003 3.0 ZD30 - which I have assumed would be the same for a 2006 model.

When draining I have let it drain for several hours.

I have checked when the motor is stone cold, 15 minutes after driving, 10 minutes after driving, at home, at work, on the side of the road, in the morning, at night - I'm almost obsessed with it!

The vehicle runs well and I have no issues with that - once I got used to the cold engine noise and the need to nurse her through the cold starts. Power is good.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Pog
Need to get out more

Unread post by Pog » November 29th, 2009, 11:23 am

1. Drain oil.
2. Remove filter.
3. Replace bung.
4. Fit new filter.
5. Fill with new oil to full mark.
6. Run engine for 1-2 mins to fill new filter.
7. Top up oil to full mark.
8. Crack a tinny.

Are the measurements you used for a Navara or a Patrol? Not that it matters because you should only be filling to the full mark and not putting in a quoted measurement anyway.

Not sure what you mean by "cold engine noise" either.
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

Ridgie
Here and there

Unread post by Ridgie » November 29th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Thanks Pog.

What's the point in having the oil capacity for a vehicle if you can't be confident that is what it holds. Anyway - I understand your point.

Cold engine noise - this is my first diesel and she makes a lot more noise when cold than my V6 did.

Ridgie
Here and there

Unread post by Ridgie » November 29th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Here is the fluid spec that was posted in Feb 2009 under the thread "I need Navara ZD30 specs from Manual"

"Ok, this is from the 2003 manual for my Navara.

Engine: ACEA B3 rated oil, search around for the technical bulletin that mentions 10w40.
Capacity with filter change: 6.7 Litres
Capacity without filter change: 6.2 Litres"

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 29th, 2009, 5:37 pm

So I take it that when you changed the oil and filters and put in 6.7 litres of oil the resulting oil level on the dipstick was above the mark?? And the same when you put in 6.2 litres of oil without changing the filters?? Was that reading immediately after putting the oil in; or did you check the level, run the engine for a while, then let it sit for a coupla minutes on level ground and check the oil level again?

Often when you change the oil, the dipstick can show high immediately after filling but before running, simply cos the drain process has emptied most of the oil from the engine, and the refill hasn't left any oil coating the insides of the engine; so ALL the oil is in the sump, giving a false high reading. After running the engine for a couple of minutes then turning it off & leaving it sit for a minute or so, there will still be some oil held up in the engine itself; and in the filters, rocker cover, etc, so the dipstick will give a 'closer to the mark' reading.7

Regardless, the dipstick itself isn't always all that accurate a measure; after all, it's just a stick in a hole - 1mm of difference on the stick can be a lot or just a little oil to be out, and even the slightest lean on the engine can create a false reading. You are best off the carefully measure what goes in, and confirm with the dipstick that you haven't gone way over or way under - but rely on your accurate measurement and filling initially, then use the dipstick as a guide to keeping things about right (give or take that 1 or so mm of difference that you'll never get away from!)

Don't worry too much about the dipstick level (except as a guide) if you are postive that your fill quantity is accurate and correct - I'd be checking to make sure the Fill Quantities are correct - FIRST, and even making sure that you are working to the right levels for your engine, from a more reliably accurate source than this or any other forum. Not necessarily implying that anyone here gave you a bum steer on purpose, but after all, the relative unknown nature of any source here could be an issue & there may havd been a change between 2003 & 2006 - have you even got a workshop manual for your vehicle yet?? That should be your first step, confirming that you are using the right levels from known reliable and authoritative source; then make sure that you are putting in the correct quantity of oil; and only once you done both should you feel justified in questioning the accuracy of your dipstick.

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Ridgie
Here and there

Unread post by Ridgie » November 29th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Thanks Peter - appreciated.

I am confident with my measures and as I said in my post I have checked many times in a variety of settings.

I will swing past Repco tommorrow and order my manual.

The ute is due for it's 100k service soon and I have a reliable mechanic so I'll ensure I know the right measures and pass it on to them and see where it goes.

Cheers.

Ghost01
I'm new, be nice!

Re: D22 Oil dipstick - accuracy.

Unread post by Ghost01 » November 23rd, 2017, 7:29 am

Hi Guys
A bit late into this but can someone pls confirm there is a revised version for the D22 Navara ZD30 DDT? I came across a thread (about NADS I think) and it mentioned a couple of contibuting factors for oil starvation on this model were 6.2 or 6.7L capacity for earlier models were wrong according to Nissan. It is supposed to be 8.3 and also earlier dipsticks were too long

Return to “Navara”