View topic - D22 Turbo Whistle?? Please help

D22 Turbo Whistle?? Please help

I'm new, be nice!

D22 Turbo Whistle?? Please help

Hi all
I have a d22 with the ZD30 motor in it, and whenever my motor is reving my turbo whistles and gets louder the higher i rev. I know all turbo's whistle but mine just seems a little too loud. Does anyone else have this problem? I know the early ZD30's had problems but i have the updated motor (the newer ZD30) and my turbo has only done around 70k and the car has been serviced regularly.

Does anyone know of ways to check to see if my turbo is shot.

Cheers
Following those dirt tracks to anywhere

Unread postby Watto_56 » September 11th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Here and there

Dear wattto,
Sorry but someone may have pulled the pin on your "handgrenade" go see colin Schubert on Fameschon Cres Modbury, he is a champ and specializes in nissans

Unread postby Treders » September 11th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Need to get out more

might just be a hose leak. check the hoses from the turbo. Is it a wirring/grinding sound or a whistle?

Unread postby joshy » September 11th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Avid Poster

The whistle of a turbo's music to a truckies ears...
Pull the intake hose off and check for end float (there shouldnt be any) and play up and down it the shaft (a few thou is acceptable not sure how much on your model turbo but someone else on here might). and make sure all the hoses are sealing properly so you havent got a boost leak.

Unread postby HZJ75_John » September 11th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Here and there

go and get it looked at straight away as thats what mine did before it went boom and cost me a brand new engine with all the srapnel going straight into the engine

Unread postby bognoel » September 11th, 2009, 7:07 pm

I'm new, be nice!

joshy wrote:might just be a hose leak. check the hoses from the turbo. Is it a wirring/grinding sound or a whistle?

yeah mate its a whistle not a grinding noise

Unread postby Watto_56 » September 11th, 2009, 8:21 pm

I'm new, be nice!

bognoel wrote:go and get it looked at straight away as thats what mine did before it went boom and cost me a brand new engine with all the srapnel going straight into the engine

far out mate thats no good.

how long did it make the noise for before it went boom

Unread postby Watto_56 » September 11th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Here and there

I had a progressively stronger and stronger whistle coming from my '02 d22 and I took it straight in. The mechanic told me that it was a missing bolt and a blown seal in the exhaust - I had noticed a bit more than normal exhaust smell when I popped the bonnet. $120 latter and all is good.

Unread postby Big_Col » September 11th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Been here a while

Never good to hear a loud whistle from a turbo but like its been said before get to a mechanic quick smart, you may be lucky.
Good luck.
WHY GO AROUND IT, WHEN YOU CAN GO THROUGH IT!

Unread postby MY-TD6i » September 11th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Here and there

Hi Watto i have seen several of these with a exhaust leak at the manifold you can have a look at the exhaust manifold it normally is on no4 cylinder on the top side if you have a good torch & are fairley flexible jump on the front & have a look you need to check the area where the manifold meets the head look for black carbon deposits its not easy to see but you may find it the only other sugestion is dont do it with a hot engine as it burns. hope this helps patrolingalong

Unread postby patrolingalong » September 11th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Getting to know the place

From previous experiences..
Complete diff car.. (skyline)

i had a whistle which turned into more of a scream...or squeal.. (over time)..

Have a look at the manifold/turbo housing.. possible a stud or 2 have snapped.. or just loose.. Its one thing to look for i guess..

Unread postby D40Junky » September 12th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Here and there

Watto_56 wrote:far out mate thats no good.

how long did it make the noise for before it went boom

watto i had only got the car so knew no difference and had it for a month, if the turbo looses power every now and again you have a week

Unread postby bognoel » September 14th, 2009, 7:48 am

Been here a while

the hoses from the turbo are a good idea to check. noticed mine were a little loose about a week ago and after tightening them up the turbo whistle quietened right down.
04 D22- 3" lift, 33" STs, 16" Enkei Race wheels, Locked up front and a whole lotta grinding!!!!!:D:D:D
plus the dual batterys, uhf, 50l fridge, roof racks, bashplates and onboard compressor.:truck:

Unread postby BushyD22 » September 14th, 2009, 11:20 am

Been here a while

As someone has said pull the hoses off the intake side and lightly push and pull the compressor wheel and shaft. There should be no or very very slight movement. Up and down or side to side movement is fine so long as the compressor wheel does not touch the intake housing. This is usually visable.

Other things, check for leaks between turbo and inlet manifold and the start of the exhaust (harder to do without the right tools).

Check the boost pressure (if you have the tools) as higher boost pressures usually whistle more and can have very bad effects on your engine.

Unread postby Brooko » September 14th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Return to Navara