Should I turbo my TD27

Parkkos97
I'm new, be nice!

Should I turbo my TD27

Unread post by Parkkos97 » May 26th, 2018, 11:51 am

I've got a 1996 D21 TD27 Navara and I'm seeing what people think about me turboing it because it burns oil.
It takes about a month maybe more to go through about 1/8 of the oil and you cant see any white smoke coming out when I'm driving.

Should I still turbo it?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Should I turbo my TD27

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 26th, 2018, 7:36 pm

It's not necessarily WHITE smoke you want to be most worried about (altho that can indicate some problems) but rather more likely the blue/black oil smelling smoke that's indicative of worn oil &/or compression rings!! But it could also be simply that the fuel has been wound up too much searching for extra power (& that in itself may have created some worrying wear issues!!)

So regardless of it blowing smoke or not, doing a compression test and a 'leak down' test (which checks how long does it actually HOLD that compression for?!) BEFORE you commit to turbo'ing might be a bloody good idea!! Good results in both, plus not using much more than say 1 litre or so out of 8 litres over 5-7,500 km or so of the oil you put in at each oil change. So how much oil does your Navarra hold when you change the oil and filter/s?? And how much oil does it 'burn' between scheduled changes?

Burning much more'n that litre or so of oil between scheduled changes or a drop in compression or loss of ability to hold it in any one or more cylinders suggests that adding forced induction to it (ie, a turbo or supercharger) will be a quick way to blow your engine into a useless lump of metal! :boggle:

But it really is your choice (& wallet!) :rolleyes:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Should I turbo my TD27

Unread post by hoyks » May 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Excessive blow by that would be feeding the oil back through the vent pipe, into the intake and burning it will only get worse if you strap on a turbo and increase cylinder pressures.

You could swap the stock oil separator for an after market catch can that will do a better job and drain back to the sump, but that's just treating a symptom, rather than a cure.

It sounds like the engine isn't 100% and fitting a turbo will most likely be spending money so you can kill it quicker.

Return to “Navara”