What are the Best value for money oils for a D22?

DaveK69x
I'm new, be nice!

What are the Best value for money oils for a D22?

Unread post by DaveK69x » December 20th, 2015, 3:55 am

Hi All,
After some opinions as to what the best quality engine, diff and gearbox oils are around for my D22. Looking for value for money without breaking the budget. Only recently purchased my first 4x4 so interested to hear every ones ideas.

Cheers

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: What are the Best value for money oils for a D22?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 20th, 2015, 9:12 am

Gulf Western - use it exclusive for all my vehicles - available from Stuperchip
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

DaveK69x
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DaveK69x » December 21st, 2015, 12:25 am

Cheers Chris

BBQboy
Getting to know the place

Unread post by BBQboy » March 26th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
It is bit $$$$ but uhhhh engine clean as brand new excellent protection ,,,,too much to list. Mercedes trucks tested and they using on ACTROS models .

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 27th, 2017, 12:56 pm

The Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 full synthetic is what I use in my Dmax.
The engine oil stays cleaner for far longer than when using Normal 15w40 Delvac. Currently at 16,000km on the oil and the engine runs very smoothly.
The sealing of the rings must be far better than with normal oil because there is far less burn combustion getting into the sump.
Therefore less blowby and less intake goo formed because there is less blowby.

For me, combining longer oil change intervals and less filter changes means using the oil is not much dearer than the 'change often routines with inferior oils' where the oil gets BLACK and the filter is also highly contaminated with BLACK and requires regular changing too.

(Similar story with petrol engines using 98 octane fuel, it often costs no more to use the better stuff; sometimes the more costly stuff turns out to be cheaper in the long term. Use E10 and the costs will go UP.)

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » April 28th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Delvav is an excellent oil but I'm always suspicious of oils that "don't get dirty" if they're not getting dirty then they're not doing their job of suspending carbon deposits and stopping them from settling inside the engine.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 29th, 2017, 3:25 pm

cmar
Delvac oil has always been used because of it's detergent qualities which constantly cleans the internals and keeps any contaminants in suspension. That is what is is formulated to do.
If the oil also can seal the rings better, ie, Delvac M1 Diesel then the same cleaning is happening but the oil gets dirty less quickly because of the sealing of the rings is better.
So two good features there.

Some crappy oils don't do either very well and are less effective.

Where I did my apprenticeship the company only used Mobil for the proven life of the engines. I am sure they tried other oils but they never were used for the fleet: all road making machines, all earthmoving machines, all road vehicles, all used Mobil. None of the engines I rebuilt ever had gunge build up inside, even when worn out.

If an oil isn't performing you will fairly quickly see a build up of crap when the filler cap is removed.

Return to “Navara”