Any Issues with your D40?!

Tappet
Here and there

Re: Any Issues with your D40?!

Unread post by Tappet » October 29th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Ok few Interesting posts. I have one of them. Late 2011 King Cab Thai built job. Had a couple of issues since new. One is the chassis, they are dodgy. Was lower on the D/S. Despite that, it does not affect the way it drives. I have rectified this, it now sits level but still not happy about it. Have up graded the suspension, shocks and springs, as they are pathetic as standard.

Clutch is fine and feels good, nice progressive take up. Although late 2011 Thai builds do not have a dual mass flywheel style clutch. (the ones that give the problems)

Brakes are fine.

On the good side- with a lift and good tyres they are pretty handy vehicles. Set mine up more as a tourer than see what she'll do 4WD machine but will still do a medium track fairly easy. It's quiet and comfortable, handy on a long trip. I get good fuel consumption. 9.5 l per 100K's or better.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 15th, 2014, 8:29 pm

I know it appears to be critical sometimes but a Central NSW dealer has a few D40 engines in pieces in their workshop, thinking it was warped cylinder heads ie leakage, but it turns out the ones currently apart, more than 4 of them at one place, all have warped cylinder blocks, not the head at all.
Nissan appears not to take responsibility and because they are already apart are making it the dealers responsibilty.

Be alerted to warped cylinder blocks is the message.

Zelcron
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Zelcron » December 21st, 2014, 10:27 am

This is my 1st 4x4. It is a 2012 Spanish dual cab D40, I purchased it to tow my caravan of 2300kgs. I bought it second hand from Nissan as it was one of their company vehicles with only 18k on it and balance of new car warranty as well.
I have just come back from the top end after 2 months on the road and to be honest the only flaw I have found is the turning circle which I compensate for.
Only mods so far are adding a canopy I got from 3MX in Geebung near Brisbane for $1200 without side windows to store camping gear, a deluxe ARB bulbar, fog light and Narva 175 spot/beam lights and the necessary electricals for the caravan and Waeco in the back.
I am looking at adding a 2nd battery to power the Waeco independently and possible upgrading the suspension to strengthen it no so much to raise it. Towing the van I got about 450-500 per tank. Having said that I came back from Brisbane to Sydney a few months ago, no van just the tug, and fuelled up just on the sth side of Brisbane and re-fuelled again at Berowra near Sydney. Was very pleased.
All up I am very pleased with it. Except maybe some recaro seats down the track :)
Paul
Campbelltown NSW
2012 Navara SPN D40 DC Tray/Canopy

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » February 4th, 2015, 6:13 pm

I thought I'd jump back into this thread. I've just replaced the clutch with a heavy duty Exedy clutch with a Single Mass Flywheel at 150,000 K's. The clutch wasn't truly shagged yet, but there where hotspots on the flywheel and the mechanic said there was way too much movement in the springs. The clutch plate itself showed some wear but really was still serviceable.

So 150K's on the original clutch, just started to shudder.

BTW this new clutch is awesome. A little noisy but man what an improvement from stock. Cost all up $2k

slim01
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by slim01 » April 21st, 2015, 3:25 am

I have an 09 Thai built extra cab STX, 6 speed manual. Used for carting a moto around and being driven down fire trails etc its fine. When empty I get around 660kms per tank. This is where any positive comments from me end.

Its simply a heap of s$@t for anything else than normal driving in stock form.

*I bought it with less than 100k on the od and the clutch was changed out at around 45k.

*I cannot take off in 2nd gear, it doesn't matter which god I pray to, it stalls every time. This is particularly handy when driving in sand and I want some momentum. Long story short, I needed to recover my utv which did a drive belt in the sand dunes. Thinking I would take my trusty navara in to tow it back I jumped with a mate and off we went,............... about 400 yards before the nav went into limp mode and wouldnt rev past 1500rpm. Not ideal when driving in sand. Looking around for a box of matches and not having any we managed to get back to the campsite and parked up. There is no hint of power under 1800rpm and as soon as it comes on song its gone again, revving but but works as hard as a kiwi scaffy on day rate. Combine all this with the tight shift pattern when changing gears and Ive been caught out more than once in the wrong gear and the thing stalls in an intersection.

**Disclaimer- Now before anyone recommends driving lessons, I've driven all the major brands at various worksites I've been to and haven't had any problems. The Amorok I drove suffered a similar issue with power delivery.

*If I tow a trailer (of any size) I lose at least 150kms per tank. It doesn't seem to matter how much weight is in it (3 bikes at most) and how well behaved my right foot is, economy suffers badly. Seeing as I bought this car to replace my petrol 80 series thinking it would be better on fuel, this annoys me, alot! This car has not missed a service since day 1 and the log book is stamped every time. When overtaking I may as well be in my landcrusier,.... actually I'd prefer to be in my landcrusier.

*Buying aftermarket parts or any parts for that matter are bloody pain in the arse. Unless I can recite the last 3 residences of the sister of the guy/girl who put the top bolt in the radiator bracket in which ever country it was assembled, no one seems to be sure what will actually fit with any certainty. A recent joyous occasion was ordering new shoes for the nav. I go into the local tyre joint and ask, "will Deegan 38s (38s not being the size) fit?" Seemed like a simple enough question. After some discussion the answer is "yes, ..with new rims and front suspension raised 2 inches. I say "damn the expense, give me the cheapest rims you've got to go with these $400 each tyres" and it was done. Come back in a few days they say, they'll be here waiting for you. I wont go into the week and a half that followed but I can say with some certainty that he enjoys the suffering of others and is in line for an Oscar when he gives me his surprised face when looks under the desk after I ask if my wheels have turned up yet?

A week and a half later, after travelling to Thailand to find out those 3 addresses I find out that there may be a problem, offset. Depending on where the car was made Spain or Thailand depends on what the offset is. Either way, apparently anything larger than standard will be a problem. Ive read that many on this site are happy to scrub the front end to gain an inch or 2 but surely Nissan, when designing a car these days can cater for someone who wants a slightly bigger tyre on a 4wd ute without having to get the grinder out and buying new top A-arms if you want more than leveling the front of your car to match the back. Needless to say I poked out my bottom lip, cursed quietly at the wingnut who told me 'she'll be right, they'll fit' and left the shop. Trying to leave the car park to show them I was displeased I dumped the clutch, (almost stalled as the revs werent above 6000rpm) and I thought I heard some tyre squeal as I left,... but that may have been my coke can moving in the drink holder. :urgh:

*The glove box has been designed to take up as much room as possible making it difficult for the passenger to stretch out on those long drives (providing you are not towing anything, then you passenger wont have time to get comfortable before you stop to refuel again). Aside from the factory manual and logbook you will struggle to fit a CD in there as well, its like the opposite of the tardis, looks big on the outside but inside there is no room for my Vanilla Ice CD.

*The headunit had been replaced with a new DVD model which is good until you actually want to use it. The angle of the dash means the sun is always shining on it and I cant see a bloody thing, I'd be better off with a solar panel in its place instead.

* There is a 12v socket which sits very close to the drivers edge of the console. Just as you're getting comfortable driving but before the fuel light comes on, (Im towing remember), you will roll your left leg to the side and your knee hits what ever device is currently plugged in. Its quite literally a pain in the knee, also you have disturbed the device charging but havent noticed until you pull up and realise said devise has a flatter battery than when you plugged it in :confused: I dont remember Clark Griswald having this much trouble with his land-yacht when he's on vacation.

* I could add more but these are the main things that make day to day driving more difficult than the pleasure its supposed to be.

I have been pretty keen to trade the nav in on something else but the girlfriend clipped a kangaroo and has wrecked the front bar and done some damage to the guard, bonnet and passenger door. Unfortunately its not insured (although her car is :irked: ) so now Im stuck with it. With this new project I desperately needed because life has been so easy lately I will be making the best of the situation (unless I remember to buy those matches) and improve upon the above mentioned faults.

I would not buy another newish navara without being prepared to spend a good $3000/$4000 to make it what it should have already been in stock form.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » August 28th, 2015, 6:52 am

We've had our 08 D40 Spain built for 3 years, it's done 210,000 and I've just replaced the clutch with a heavy duty. It was the original clutch still in it which amazed me, seeing it'd had done 140,000 when we'd bought it. It's been an incredible car/4wd and utterly reliable. Living in a remote community in the NT I drive troopies which are the biggest pieces of antiquated crap and I wouldn't give one garage space. Interestingly, a fellow camper here in Alice (also a Nav driver) said on a recent visit to a local dealership here he saw passageways in the service area lined with pallets of V8 motors. You guessed it, for Landcruisers and troopies.
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 28th, 2015, 9:56 am

emjan.
It is interesting you haven't heard about the very large number of D40's which have malformed chassis and engine failures, warped blocks included. All makes have some failures and depending on use and care it then may fail.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » September 5th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Mydmax, I've heard about problems with ALL makes, none are exempt. But if you gave me a choice of a troopie or a D40, i'd take the latter for comfort, handling and economy. I drive one of 3 troopies everyday for work and that's enough for me. They're top heavy and dangerous which is why a lot of companies are pulling them out of circulation after tip overs/rollovers in the tourism industry. Have heard tht Toy is going to stop their production of troopies in the not too distant future. Damn good thing, just have to come up with something a bit better for a remote ambulance. Shouldn't be too hard!

Tasnav
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tasnav » September 11th, 2015, 10:52 am

I have an 06 STX dual cab 2.5 6 speed manual Spanish built, got it with 100k on it and had it for a couple of years now.
It had a 2in lift with ironman suspension under it, bull bar with light bar and arb canopy when purchased and since then have fitted roof racks and awning and have also installed a chip and blocked the egr which has made a great difference in power and economy. Highway driving will see approx. 700ks before the fuel light comes on so loving that. Around town it averages 600-650. Really happy with economy.
Still has standard clutch and brakes so will be upgrading them once needed and also an exhaust.
slim01 wrote:
*I cannot take off in 2nd gear, it doesn't matter which god I pray to, it stalls every time. This is particularly handy when driving in sand and I want some momentum. Long story short, I needed to recover my utv which did a drive belt in the sand dunes. Thinking I would take my trusty navara in to tow it back I jumped with a mate and off we went,............... about 400 yards before the nav went into limp mode and wouldnt rev past 1500rpm. Not ideal when driving in sand. Looking around for a box of matches and not having any we managed to get back to the campsite and parked up. There is no hint of power under 1800rpm and as soon as it comes on song its gone again, revving but but works as hard as a kiwi scaffy on day rate. Combine all this with the tight shift pattern when changing gears and Ive been caught out more than once in the wrong gear and the thing stalls in an intersection.

**Disclaimer- Now before anyone recommends driving lessons, I've driven all the major brands at various worksites I've been to and haven't had any problems. The Amorok I drove suffered a similar issue with power delivery.
This ^^^ is also my one real problem with my D40 and it s#$% me to tears. I tow my boat with it and have now gotten into the habit of putting it in 4 low to take off on any boat ramp so I don't have to excessively rev the motor and ride the clutch to avoid stalling. Is this why there are so many complaints of shagged/slipping clutches?? Does fitting an aftermarket clutch with single mass flywheel fix or at least help this situation?

Overall though I am pleased with my D40, comfort, handling, power and economy are all to my liking and its not a bad looking bus.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » September 26th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Tasnav - We've just replaced our dualmass flywheel clutch after 210,000kms which I think is pretty good. It could NEVER take off in 2nd gear, after all the 2.5 4cyl doesn't have the same torque as a 6cyl or V8 landcruiser which barely needs a 1st gear. We always had to use low box to reverse tow or start off on a hill. The chip and exhaust have helped, but since putting in a SM flywheel heavy duty clutch the towing in the lower gears has been awesome, I was able to reverse the 2T CT up a rise without low box assistance whereas before the nav would always stall. If you're towing a boat up a ramp out of water low box is a pretty good option to get out. What we noticed is that the SM flywheel clutch is much noisier because it doesn't have a dampener to absorb vibrations and noise, the gear change ratios are also different now but easy to get used to, clutch feels great now instead of like a brick

Slim 01- Limp Navara sounds like a turbo issue. We had a loose wire driving the Plenty last year when there was no turbo to help get us through 400kms of corrugations and bulldust, all fixed with a replacement sensor.

Tasnav
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tasnav » October 17th, 2015, 1:57 pm

That's great to hear emjan! looks like I will be finding out first hand very soon anyway, clutch started slipping on the way home yesterday so time to get it done.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » February 19th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Phew, guess I'm pretty lucky ours lasted 210,000! The SMFW takes a bit of getting used to, it doesn't have a dampener so there is a bit more vibration but if feels pretty good underfoot. We've done a heap of rough stuff with our Nav but have spent a fair bit on decent mods and have never pushed it beyond it and our limits. Maintenance and checks are first and foremost in remote where there are sometimes no second chances when it comes to a breakdown.

Tasnav
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tasnav » March 12th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Well new heavy duty clutch and SMFW have been in for a while now and you are spot on Emjan about getting used to it, the vibration was noticeable but no biggie. The best thing is how solid it feels and easier to drive. Towing is better also.
All up it cost me $2000 and that included replacing the rear main seal and changing gearbox and transfer case fluids so pretty happy with that.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » March 12th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Excellent! Makes a helluva diff with the towing. At least now I don't have to reverse the heavy Cub Camper in low box 1st gear anymore either. Like a hot knife through butter.

Return to “Navara”