Any Issues with your D40?!

brady_163
I'm new, be nice!

Any Issues with your D40?!

Unread post by brady_163 » March 18th, 2014, 5:28 pm

hey guys just after some feedback on D40 nissan navara D40's

I have read so many reviews on them, both good and bad.
So many people say that clutches wear easily on them if used for towing which is what i would use it for. They are one of the more powerful motors for a 2.5l but i cant decide if to buy one or not.

Just after some of you guys experiences with them, whether it be using them for towing, or off road and general around town

Cheers Brady

10571z
Been here a while

Re: Any Issues with your D40?!

Unread post by 10571z » March 18th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Hey mate i purchased a d40 navara about a year ago after owning a 80 series land cruiser. I also read what you did and i was a bit nervous. I purchased 2008 2.5l turbo diesel 89,000km (when purchased)

After reading all the horror stories about the clutch it ended up not being a massive deal. When i bought mine i knew the clutch didnt have much left so i replaced it once it started slipping. It cost me $1400 for a exedy clutch and single flywheel to be installed. The mechanic said that will last for absolutely ages.

So far my services have been cheap and its been good to hear back from the mechanic that the service went fine and there arent any extras needed. This was a relief after getting a phone call from the same mechanic saying i needed $4000 worth of repairs to my land cruiser(it did have 300,000kms haha).

As for 4wding yeah its not great to start off with but
Lift- $1200
Underbody Bash plates - $400 (apparently absolute MUST)
Tyres - ????

It would be a lot better like any truck.

Fuel is awesome and the ride quality is unbelievable for a 4wd. Its a dream on the highway and super quite in the cab. I have towed only a little bit and its been perfect plenty of power. You can always upgrade with a diesel chip if you want a little bit extra but TBH i find it perfect. Parking it is a bit tough as the turning circle is very average but its not a massive deal.

scottj
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by scottj » March 18th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I've had mine for a few years now, 07 6spd with 2" lift etc etc. It feels like a sports car after getting out of a Cruiser or Patrol, so much more nimble and dramatically quicker.

It consistently returns ~550km per 65l I put in it - this on 265/7016 and mostly inner city/cbd driving. It has a great sized rear seat and legroom though the rear seat is too vertical IMO.

I get it out on the tracks regularly and I have to say that I've never been stuck on anything though did have to get pulled out of a river once. Whilst it does generally go every where the Patrols and Cruisers go when we're out, I have to really push it to get there. I hop out of it at the top of a track and marvel at how easily the others do it. That said, the other dual cabs in our crew have to be pushed harder than my Nav,

Turning circle is ordinary but I haven't had any dramas with it. Its WB is 400mm longer than just about everything else, that and the inherent wide turning circle means choosing a park in a tight car park needs consideration. I have had to wait for the car next to me to leave once before I could get out. With a 2" lift I basically never scrape anything though, the guts are all nicely tucked up in comparison to Hilux etc.

On the whole, a great truck and no regrets at all. Looking for a Patrol though now as my wants have changed a little bit... and I spend too much time watching how effortlessly they get the job done.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 19th, 2014, 11:07 am

D40 is 3200mm wheel base, same as many others DC utes.

scottj
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by scottj » March 19th, 2014, 11:43 am

mydmax wrote:D40 is 3200mm wheel base, same as many others DC utes.
I wasn't referring to Dual Cab's, I was referring to "just about everything else". But of the dual cabs, its quite a bit longer than all the others, and substantially longer than Patrol/Cruiser/Prado/Pajero etc.

Interesting (to me at least) to see all the measurements in one spot, I feel like the turning circle is worse than most but don't have the numbers handy.

Below is from a sheet i knocked up whilst looking at going to a Patrol.

navara 3200 mm
hilux 3085 mm
triton 3000 mm
ranger 3220 mm
amarok 3095 mm
colorado 3096 mm
gu 2970 mm
200 2850 mm
Pajero 2780 mm
Prado 2790 mm

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Tell me about your D40!!

Unread post by mydmax » March 19th, 2014, 3:16 pm

You can't compare station Wagon bodies with ute really. Different concepts.
The 2011Collies and Dmax cab chassis and DC chassis models are 3200mm where the DC tub utes are 3050mm.

Still not in the SW class though.

Pee_Gee
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Pee_Gee » September 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm

This subject is of some interest to me...earlier this year I brought a 2013 Navara D40 2.5 4x4 5 sp auto (Thai built), still had the new car smell and had traveled only 12000km...I'll admit that I didn't a lot of research but relied pretty much on the name that Nissan has!...our prime reason for buying it was to tow our 2000kg caravan and after some 10'000km doing this it does this very well and I have little complaint, not totally happy with fuel consumption at 15-17L/100km towing but I understand thats not too bad.
My worries are more related to things I have heard and read...I have heard of steering boxes, front rotors failing early, and really worrying, the timing chain (a single row chain) failing and endimg up wrecking the motor!!. Now the D40 has been around for some years and I understand the 2.5L diesel, apart from various power increases, is virtually unchanged, with this in mind I was hoping to find someone who has owned a D40 and traveled high mileage, trouble-free...if nothing else but to give me some peace of mind. I intend to treat the vehicle correctly and ensure servicing is carried out. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee and I knew of many that had easily racked up in excess of 400'000 km....should I swap my Navara for a Jeep again??
Paul
SE Qld
2013 Navara 2.5LTD, 4x4 Crewcab

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 27th, 2014, 8:30 am

Pee_Gee
Does your Navara sit level? There are quite a few which have the tub low on the RHS and although it isn't spring related is IS malformed chassis related. Bump stop ride height looks/measures OK but the chassis shape holds the tub down on the RHS.
I know of 1 D22 made and sold with a bent chassis and it also has a malformed tub and of 4 other D40's which have the bent chassis from new and sold that way.
I have pics of two, side by side, brand new in a dealers yard.

Since nearly all dealers don't actually do a pre delivery which has any meaning ie they don't pick up anything wrong, the servicing is a factor which has to be thoroughly checked to make sure it is really done for you. ie brake fluid change is rarely a bleed though of the system and is merely a suck out and replace the reservoir fluid by nearly all makes of vehicle dealers.
Gearbox and diff fluids are often not done. Dealers usually don't use the best of engine oils either.

Pee_Gee
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Pee_Gee » September 27th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Hi mydmax, My D40 sits pretty well flat although few cars would sit perfectly flat me thinks....I too am cynical about servicing shops not doing the right thing...when your car is still under warranty they pretty much have you buy the curlies.
Paul
SE Qld

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 28th, 2014, 6:45 am

Pee_Gee
It is good if yours sits flat because there are quite a few I have seen and measured which are not level.

I am not at all cynical about dealers servicing of vehicles, I know what many dealers do to their customers and that takes any cynicism out of it. So much so you can almost predict each outcome.

Pee_Gee
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Tell me about your D40!!

Unread post by Pee_Gee » September 28th, 2014, 10:13 pm

After reading the comments on this and other 4x4 forums it seems to me that the Navara D40 cops more than its share of criticism...there are many happy owners out there too..it also seems to me that every brand has its issues, even 'unbreakable' Toyotas.
I have to admit that I was becoming quite disappointed with my 2013 model, not because of there being anything wrong with it, quite on the contrary, I am very happy with it...it just seemed that everyone I talked to had a Navara horror story, from failing steering boxes to premature brake issues to timing chain woes ...you name it. I even read a car section write up in a newspaper paper about the 2015 Navara and how Nissan says it has 'corrected the quality issues' from previous Navara's!...they didn't say what these issues are however.
I know they are possibly not as capable 'off the shelf' in the dirt as a HiLux or even a Colorado unless you are prepared to spend after market money on them.
But if you go to the forums for any of the mainstream 4x4 utes you will always find unhappy customers....maybe Navaras, D40 or D22 are not that bad after all, not like there are only a couple around...
Paul
SE Qld

10571z
Been here a while

Unread post by 10571z » September 30th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Yep Pee_Gee, i think most 4wd's have their own issues. I still haven't had any with my d40 after 2 years. Absolute no extras with services (besides the clutch i did)

My mechanic said most of the new 4wd dual flywheel clutches have had a lot of problems. Toyota's having injector problems ect

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » October 1st, 2014, 9:04 am

I have a 2010 ST Navara manual, currently with 130000k's. I do take it 4bying. It's been to Birdsville via Cameron Corner. through countless water crossing and bog holes, and I believe any issues I've had with it have been self inflicted.

1. Left hand tie rod recently been replaced
2. Freewheeling clutch on the alternator exploded
3. Front engine oil seal (repaired under warranty)
4. Transfer case oil seal (repaired under warranty)
5. Alternator drive belt frayed and cut through air conditioner hose

I tow a 1600kg Jayco, drawers and fridge in the back, bulbar/winch in the front, 2" lift and auto locker (in the front) and 140ltr rule tank. It's been chipped and the EGR has been blocked. Currently on 32" tyres.

No clutch issues, chassis isn't bent, timing chain doesn't rattle. I'll need to put some new brake pads on before the next trip away and looks like the rear diff seal may be weeping. It still has plenty of paint on the roof.

The seals are most likely dirt and mud getting into them, and the roads out west most likely wore out the tie rod (big mud tyres probably didn't help either). Not sure why the freewheeling clutch thingo exploded, but most likely dirt/dust/mud had something to do with it.

Overall I am really happy with it, it has given me less hassle than any other car I've ever owned. It's big and comfortable. Takes me anywhere I want to go, and relatively good on fuel. I think you'll find many owners that are in the same boat as me, but don't take the time to write up about it on forums. Really does anyone want to read that my Navara is boringly reliable?

Pee_Gee
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Pee_Gee » October 6th, 2014, 4:39 pm

fastwrx...you said..."Really does anyone want to read that my Navara is boringly reliable?"..YES!!!, god yes, I was starting to think that Navaras are just junk!!...thank god at least someone is happy with theirs!!..lol, thanks mate...I needed that. :)
Paul
SE Qld

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » October 6th, 2014, 6:03 pm

You're welcome, to make you feel even better, my son bought a new Colorado, and whilst it's an awesome truck, it has nowhere near the grunt my D40 has.

Return to “Navara”