I'm new, be nice!

Will Auto locking hubs work on a front diff that had manuals

Unread post by eggn8er » July 14th, 2014, 6:15 pm

hey guys, in need of assistance
my front diff in my mq shorty sh@t itself
now my problem is the diff in it has manual locking hubs
and the diff i just bought has auto locking hubs
will the diff n hubs still work/ingage
if not what do i need to do/get to make it work.

any help will would be muchly appreciated.
cheers eggie

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Will Auto locking hubs work on a front diff that had man

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 14th, 2014, 6:23 pm

It shouldn't make any difference - the auto or manual hubs simply engage on the end of the stub axle, so just make sure that whichever version you fit works before you finish that job! ;)

PS, don't fill either of the hubs with too much grease!! Over Greasing is one of the most common causes of failure in auto AND manual hubs!! All you need is a full cover smear, if that makes sense!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

eggn8er
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by eggn8er » July 14th, 2014, 6:26 pm

cheers mate, thamks for the quick responce. i know all too well about over greasing hubs lol

eggn8er
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by eggn8er » July 14th, 2014, 6:49 pm

one of my mates tell me that the auto hubs wont work due to not having any wireing,

not really mechanically minded so go easy.

im swaping diffs completly.. so my diff with manual locking hubs
will be replace with a diff that has auto locking hubs. what wiring is my mate talkin about?
and how would one aquire such wireing?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 14th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Unless he's found something odd, AFAIK all Nissan Auto hubs of that vintage don't have any electrical bits at all..... they work by winding a screw section inside the hub itself until it locks, but that only winds to lock once the axle starts being turned by the driveshaft/trans case...!! So once you've stopped the vehicle, engaged 4WD, & then driven forwards about 3-5 metres, the Auto hubs are locked & will remain locked even if you go back to 2WD, effectively giving you 'shift on the fly' once you've done that first lock the hubs stop - but if you reverse at all then it 'unwinds' that screw section & disengages the hubs!! And that means you need to stop again before trying to engage 4WD once more! :)

So you shouldn't have ANY issues swapping the entire diff & housing with the Auto hubs across to your vehicle - but it also wouldn't hurt to take the auto hubs off & fit the manual hubs in their place! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “MQ / MK Patrol”