Will a fibreglass swb roof hold up under a roof top tent?

Fudd
Getting to know the place

Will a fibreglass swb roof hold up under a roof top tent?

Unread post by Fudd » January 30th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Gday all,
Ive recently picked up a tip top swb mk/mq patrol with the fiberglass canopy on the rear.
Its come with a set of rolla roof racks on itand the owner i got it off claimed i wouldn't have an issue with my plans but i think id be more comfortable hearing from some of you guys.

Those plans are to buy an eBay roof top tent (45kg-50kg) and mount it to the previously mentioned racks.
My concerns lay with the strength of the fiberglass on the highway and the doing a bit of offroad work , if it would really hold up ? Finally after all that would it be ok with me lobbing my 110kg of lard up on it for an evening. I mean to me yes it looks and feels rather strong, but this is my first 4wd and first time ive ever done anything like this.
appreciate hearing your thoughts
Cheers

Fudd
Getting to know the place

swb roof top tent question

Unread post by Fudd » January 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Gday all,
Ive recently picked up a tip top swb mk/mq patrol with the fiberglass canopy on the rear.
Its come with a set of rolla roof racks on itand the owner i got it off claimed i wouldn't have an issue with my plans but i think id be more comfortable hearing from some of you guys.

Those plans are to buy an eBay roof top tent (45kg-50kg) and mount it to the previously mentioned racks.
My concerns lay with the strength of the fiberglass on the highway and the doing a bit of offroad work , if it would really hold up ? Finally after all that would it be ok with me lobbing my 110kg of lard up on it for an evening. I mean to me yes it looks and feels rather strong, but this is my first 4wd and first time ive ever done anything like this.
appreciate hearing your thoughts
Cheers

jPathy
Been here a while

Re: roof top tent on mq question.

Unread post by jPathy » January 31st, 2012, 2:15 pm

I just put a brand new Carryboy Fibreglass canopy on my Hilux with full intentions on doing what you are going to do with a roof top tent aswell.

I rang Carryboy and they reckon that it will hold the weight of the tent but probably not two people in it aswell, So next wednesday im off to the local exhaust/rollbar manufacturer and he is going to bend up a frame that will fit inside the canopy and the roof rack bolts will then bolt through the plates in the frame enabling the weight to be placed on the frame and not just on the fibreglass.

Return to “MQ / MK Patrol”