L28 to RB30 conversion-trouble getting gearbox to fit.

dirtgirl
Been here a while

L28 to RB30 conversion-trouble getting gearbox to fit.

Unread post by dirtgirl » May 27th, 2011, 9:34 pm

OK before my husband blows a gasket or maybe just sets the beast on fire I need some info. Haven't had my computer or I would have asked all the relative questions before the car got pulled apart.
We have stripped the L28 out of our 85 MQ. Everyone assured us that the Rb30 we have sitting in a skyline would slip straight in and into our existing 3 sp auto-and hubby tried to do this with gearbox still in MQ rather then take it out, fit it on and slide both into car. Well it doesn't seem to be happening as easy as we would have liked and after a wasted weekend he seems ready to send her to car heaven. Are we wasting our time? Is it something that can only be done with conversion kits etc? Very short of funds and we're only attempting this because the parts we need for the L28 (like a distributor, voltage regulator etc etc) cannot be found since Japan got hammered and the skyline was just sitting there collecting rust.
I've read through every thread on every forum I could find since the computer was fixed but no one seems to talk specifics about the types of gearboxes that will and won't fit onto the RB30 and to tell you the truth I'm sick to hell of reading through posts lol

Help please

eldo
Part of the furniture

Re: L28 to RB30 conversion-trouble getting gearbox to fit.

Unread post by eldo » May 28th, 2011, 12:53 pm

maybe try joining a patrol forum, surely it has been done by someone on there.
i was a nissan man back in the days when i drove datsun 1200, 1600 etc.
if an RB30 gearbox bolted up to a L series engine i would of heard about, unfortunately i have never heard that before, im not saying cant be done. as above try a specific forum and hopefully someone will have the knowledge your after.
also quick search on google turned up this
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

google is best to search for info, even threads on this site

smokaharma
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by smokaharma » September 15th, 2011, 8:25 am

How did you get on with this? From what I know the rb series engines will bolt up to the mq/k MANUAL headboard with very little mods,
Now with yours being auto you would of been best off using the rb30 auto and having a jack shaft made up for the remote transfer.

dirtgirl
Been here a while

Unread post by dirtgirl » September 15th, 2011, 9:29 am

ended up failing the heart transplant. Finances at the time prevented anything from happening the way it should. By the time we were able to finance it it was no longer viable (too much work needed on the rest of the car). Now the owner of a 60series in smick condition and hubby is doing up a GQ ute as we speak ( he still wants his Nissan).

Return to “MQ / MK Patrol”