Anyone help with pics of the OE Alt wiring for a TD42?

skik
Been here a while

Anyone help with pics of the OE Alt wiring for a TD42?

Unread post by skik » September 17th, 2017, 10:57 am

Hi all
my father's GU has crapped the alternator. unknown to us when it was last replaced they fitted a non genuine Bosch alternator and cut the plug off that goes into the side of the alternator with a white/black and yellow/red wires he now has a standard alternator to go back on but i cant find which way round the wires should go i don't want to put spade terminals on and just hope for the best if any one can help with a picture of the wire in the plug that would be awesome
thankyou
will upload a pic when i can get my phone and computer to talk to eachother

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone help with pics of the OE Alt wiring for a TD42?

Unread post by mydmax » September 19th, 2017, 11:15 pm

I tested on erecently for my sn in law.
From memory it has a diagram on the case. If it has these are probably the connections.
S goes to an ign switched power feed or usually it goes to battery as it is the sense of voltage wire/terminal and live at that point all the time. multimeter check that wire or test lamp to find which one.
L goes to the lamp on dash to indicate charge or no charge. Earth that wire with the ign ON and the dash lamp should light up. Place an indicator globe between the wire and neg to check. globe allows dash lamp to work but no short circuit can happen while confirming it is the wire.

If three wires then you have two of them and where they go so third shouldn't be a problem as it is the only one left.

skik
Been here a while

Unread post by skik » September 22nd, 2017, 5:42 pm

thanks mydmax theres no diagram on the alternator and because someone in the past cut off the plug i was worried about hooking them in the wrong way round

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Your alt is the version that doesn't have the vacuum pump on the back end isn't it skik?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “GU Patrol”