Oil Light 3ltr Patrol

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Oil Light 3ltr Patrol

Unread post by the-viking » March 31st, 2016, 3:23 pm

Ok the car in question is a 2004 3ltr Gu Patrol Manual.
If you have an original Poo joke do tell but please spare me the old ones…. lol :)

Anyway...
Over a year ago I was driving along when suddenly the Oil Light came on. I pulled over and switched off. I jumped out and looked for any obvious signs of oil or what ever. Found nothing. Spent about 10 minutes going over it. Started back up, Oil light went out. Sounded and drove normal. 5 minutes down the road light back on. This time I drove straight home as it was only a couple of K's. Popped the bonnet and what I did notice was that the dipstick seemed loose when I pulled it out, like it wasn't seated all the way. I then took the oil cap off to help settle the oil quicker. Gave it another going over with the eyes and found nothing odd. I let the car sit for about half an hour before checking the oil. Oil was clean and full.

All good for over a year until yesterday. Light came on. Pulled over and did the checks. All appeared ok. This time though I made mental note to check the dipstick before pulling it out. It wasn't fully seated. Took the Oil filler cap off, did some more checks before starting up. Light went out and has stayed out since. Drove most of the day on and off. Any thoughts? Cheers. :D

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Oil Light 3ltr Patrol

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 23rd, 2016, 4:47 pm

Just floating some ideas here.... I take it you check the oil level regularly & both times the lights have come on the level hasn't been low?? Has it been getting close to scheduled oil change time?? Of maybe just after or on the first drive since you've changed the oil & filters? Old oil losing viscosity maybe, or just not the correct oil level in the sump? Right grade/viscosity of oil & a good quality brand I hope, not a cheapie or supermarket special that could be no better'n honey or banana skins in the sump!!

How about... have you ever noticed 'excessive' blow-by pressure coming out the oil filler if you take the cap off once the engine is running? Might pay to check it immediately after start-up, then again once it's warmed up, & finally after it's been working hard.... What's excessive? Well, if you take the cap off & just sit it loosely back in place, a little jiggling is acceptable, but lifting the filler cap clear of the rocker cover or blowing it right off the engine is definitely excessive!! Excessive blow-by pressure sorta indicates the valve stem seals &/or rings are getting a little worn & the engine could do with a freshen up in those areas - and wear in either spot could cause loss of oil pressure & excessive oil use, altho worn pressure rings in diesels doesn't necessarily mean the oil rings are worn enough to cause excessive oil use, altho it is generally associated...

What about boost - do you have a boost gauge & have you noticed high peaks in boost pressure, probably shortly before the oil light comes on?? Turbo-ed diesels (well, turbo-ed engines actually) tend to have more blow-by than N/a engines, & these variable vane turbo's are renowned for having high boost spikes, usually not long before the turbo &/or engine blows because it's huffed too much of the oil out of the system!! You might be seeing the early stages of the dreaded 3.0litre melt-down, or maybe something similar?? But that normally doesn't present like this, so that's a long shot, but it's still worth checking the boost levels!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 25th, 2016, 8:58 am

Hi Pete and thanks.
Ok. This car of mine is serviced every 5k. The oil and filter is done every time using Nissan oil and filter. I do regular checks especially prior to a bush trip and while on a bush trip. Oil levels are always good and oil appears clean. I havnt noticed any pressure pop from the filler cap but I will look into that. I don't have a boost gauge. I'll look into a check on boost with the next service. I couldn't tell you whether the light came on the first time near service or not. The second time it did. This has only happened twice. It was put to me that a dicky pressure gauge could be possible.
Cheers. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 25th, 2016, 11:55 am

That's certainly one possibility.... Here's hoping!! :thumb:

But I still would suggest that you get & fit a good quality boost gauge & a similar quality EGT gauge with a post turbo thermo-couple & that you learn what's safe levels for them both on your vehicle plus how to drive off them/include watching them in every 'sweep' you do of the instruments - especially given the history this model of engine has for problems with over-boost &/or high EGT type melt-downs. Checking boost & EGT every time you check the speedo (if not more often) is a great idea on any turbo charged/forced induction Diesel engine! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nasty203
Here and there

Unread post by nasty203 » August 25th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Hi Viking
Have you had any luck with the oil light yet? i had a similar problem with my 2005 DI ZD30 it started out coming on every now & then until eventually it stayed on all the time. I changed both low & high oil pressure switches on the engine & no joy. I took it to an auto spark & he found a relay in the drivers kick panel that was faulty. Nissan wanted 180 for a new one i picked up a second hand unit from a wrecker for 20 & its been fine ever since. Hope that helps.
Cheers Wayne

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » October 4th, 2016, 11:06 am

Hi Wayne.
Jeez I haven't looked at this thread for a bit. Sorry for the no response.
Ok. So hears the thing. About two months ago the light was coming on as it does but with a little more frequency. About twice a week. In a very technical manner, for something different, I turned the ignition switch on and off about four times in quick succession. Not as in starting the car just to ''On'. The light went out and hasn't come on since, other than when starting and goes out straight away. Have I un-glitched a computer issue??????
:confused: :)

Nissan on Patrol
Avid Poster

Unread post by Nissan on Patrol » February 23rd, 2018, 3:37 pm

I know this an old thread but sometimes its just the simple things.

I have a 2003 Patrol 3.0 litre T/D. My situation did not involve any engine oil lights coming on but it did result in the replacement of my dip stick.

I kept on noticing oil under the car on the driveway and thought I must have an oil leak. Like you I crawled all over the thing and could find nothing more than the fact that the dipstick did not appear to be seated correctly. Pushed it in - happy days - so I thought.

Oil leak come back after a week or so. Climb all over it again just to be sure and come back to the same point of the dipstick not being seated correctly and of course the source of the leak.

The rubber grommet on the dip stick breaks down and corrodes over time and therefore does not seal properly with the engine and driving vibrations it wiggles loose and lets oil spew out of that port.................

Replaced the dipstick - happy days - no more oil leaks. :-)

Regards,
Scott.

Return to “GU Patrol”