rear door wont stay open - any tips to help?

bt50les
Getting to know the place

rear door wont stay open - any tips to help?

Unread post by bt50les » February 19th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Has any one got a simple fix to keep the small left hand side rear barn door stay open
Please (I searched the form for the topic but I could not see if anyone has asked the question)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: rear door wont stay open - any tips to help?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 20th, 2016, 9:24 am

Has your door still got the small stay that is meant to hold it open?? Quite a few original owners didn't like that the door only opened to a tad less than 90 degrees, so they removed the stay, which let the door swing out well past 90 deg.... but meant that unless you were parked with the LH wheels in a ditch, the door wouldn't stay open!!

Check that you have that stay. If not, get one, new or wreckers, last time I looked they weren't expensive - they are held on by only a roll pin on one side & a couple if bolts/screws on the other, takes all of 30 secs to remove/replace. Maybe yours has just lost the roll pin & is no longer attached, that can happen too?!

Buuut, If you do have it and it's not working well, try using a flat bladed screw driver & a pair of multi-grips to widen the gap between the two halves (top & bottom) without making them bow - ie mult-grips grabbing in the flat section on the middle with the screw driver blade between the halves on one side, twist hard to widen the spacing, then repeat on the other side of the grips.... That can often be just enough to make things work again, but if not, it's likely the 'grip' component of the stay has worn... it happens, especially if the stay is left to collect dust & grit in the lube on the bar & then never cleaned/serviced.... If that's that case, get a new one!!

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » February 20th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Gee thank you Peter Aawen. I was hoping you would answer. I sleeped on the problem over night and got up this morning and pulled it out. The small door was a plastic one. so unclipped the bit inside the door and there was two plastic pincer slider and two rubber blocks to provide the tension for the slider. the pincer slider was worn so ended up putting some packing to provide more tension. It will last a bit longer now. Thank you Peter. All this started with the back doors and the red light on the dash for a unclosed door flashing. I thought keeping the small barn door open was the easier job. I will search the forum for the dreaded unclosed door flashing door light problem now. The large right back door must provide an earth for the small back door I have worked out through trial and error. Thank yuou Peter

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 20th, 2016, 12:53 pm

The hinges on the back door do tend to wear a little over time too, especially if you leave the spare tyre hanging off it!! And the big door itself can start to bend, flex, &/or crack under the continual load. So it can pay to get the spare off the rear door by whatever means - a rear wheel carrier/rear bumper replacement; put it on the roof rack; carry it in the back; or even leave it at home for all your local running & just take it for any remote trips.

Regardless of what you do with that down track, it is worth looking at tightening up the latches for the big door where it shuts in the middle of the opening, then adjust the smaller door to shut firmly on the newly tightened closed rear door. The latch strikers can generally be moved in a little, & there is a small bracket thing underneath the centre latch that should be adjusted up so that it properly carries the weight on the door, rather than just supporting it when extra loading from vibrations etc bear down.

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » February 20th, 2016, 1:47 pm

I bought new strikers for the rear door and fitted them about 2 weeks ago plus adjusted the support bracket as high as it could go. The open door light only flashed occasionally them BUT the large door road up on the striker and support brcket. so i have been trying to stop the door open flashing light at all. This morning took the inner lining off the large door and the spare off the door. You could see inside the door that the door had moved downwards on the bolts that hold the large door to the inner door hinge.. I relifted the door and now the light for the open door stays on alll the time. I started the car and opened both barn doors. closed the large door while keeping my finger of the small door close door activation switch BUT kept ed the small door opened. the light would not go out. Then the big door was closed tight and the small door kept ed opened and my finger on the door close button. I pushed and pulled the large door and the door close light when on and off. THERE MUST BE An activation switch of earth on the big door WHICH I CAN|T FIND. Have you any ideas Please Peter.

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » February 20th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Please any one.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 20th, 2016, 3:44 pm

For the GQ's, the 'activation switch' for the rear door was built into the door side of the lower latch on the big door & completed by earthing thru the closed latch on the little door- that lower latch on the big door had to shut firmly onto the lower striker plate on the body AND then the little door had to grab the big door firmly too.... looseness or rattling in either the big door lower latch or the small door latch would activate the door open switch!!

So adjust everything on the big door (without the spare fitted) so that there is absolutely NO movement when you pull all your weight on it; & then adjust the small door so that it closes firmly into the catch on the big door. That should sort the light....

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » February 20th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Thanks Peter. GU4 4.2tdi wagon 225,000ks 2005 It must earth through the big door on the GU I need to make the big door square as you said. IN FACT BOTH DOORS. ( I have taken the spare off the door now) I will have another go TOMORROW. Thank you very much. I read most of the posts on the forum and I remember you saying to check interior light wiring at light as a last step. ( I have on overhead roof counsel with led lights for interior light. That would not change anything.) Thank you.

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » February 21st, 2016, 6:01 pm

DONE Replaced drivers door hinge 12 months ago as door sagged and I thought would solve flashing door light problem

This time Replaced door strikers in rear doors (3 in total)
REMOVED spare from door mount.
adjusted large back door hinge as it had slipped on hinge inside door under the weight of the spare on the door
adjusted weight support on back door to as high as it would go and door closes on same plane as bottom striker
noted large back door top hinge is worn and has up and down movement. Back door adjusted up on hinge to compensate
adjusted back doors as explained in previous post by Peter. I can swing on the back doors/push and pull them and the dreaded door open light will not come on
noted cracks in back door that carry spare. The only ones i could find were the back window frame which are no problem and will not cause the dreaded door open flashing light.
lubed and cleaned 5 door closed switched and tested them that they work
Looked in cab at interior light for broker plastic or any malfunctions (a previous post about back door and problem with light(
Checked fuse no 20 (10amp interior light) for good contact.

THE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN I TURN SHARPLY AT SPEED. A normal sedate turn the light does no come on I have to hit a reasonable bump at 100kph for the light on flash when driving.

I have not looked inside the overhead roof consul yet.
STILL NEED SUGESTIONS. Could it be an earth problem at a point away from the door sensors

bt50les

Unread post by bt50les » March 3rd, 2016, 5:31 pm

It ended up being the driver door switch

madcow
Been here a while

Unread post by madcow » March 18th, 2016, 7:03 am

This maybe what your after

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-modi ... od-145329/

Will be doing it to mine ( one day)

Return to “GU Patrol”