What would make Battery, Brake, & Sub-Tank lights do this?

the-viking
Part of the furniture

What would make Battery, Brake, & Sub-Tank lights do this?

Unread post by the-viking » December 31st, 2015, 6:52 am

Ok. Some history.
Approx 2 months ago I got a electrical burning smell from my 2004 3ltr GU. Had a look in the engine bay and there was no obvious tell tails.
Next day no more smell and was like this for about a week. Smell back and another check revealed nothing to my eye.
Car went well for several weeks then I noticed starting was slightly slower. Not much but noticeable.
Two weeks ago I started the car. Battery, Brake and Sub-Tank lights came on. No flickering just came on solid.
Over the next day, flat battery.
Google diagnostics from reputable sites such as this led to several things, the main being the alternator at fault.
Into Nissan. Their diagnostics was alternator.
New alternator fitted Xmas eve.
Drove home from Nissan. No dash lights on, all looking good.
Next start that afternoon around 2pm, to go to work, I noticed my Battery and Sub-Tank light not on when key turned to 'ON' prior to 'START'. Hmm!
Called Nissan when I got to work. Told them my symptoms. They told me to just check to make sure the wires running to the alternator were plugged in securely. All appeared good there. Called them back to arrange another visit.
Later that night checked under bonnet. Negative cable to the battery loose. Just pulled it off with my hands. Re-tightened it.
Made no difference. Grrrrrrrr :irked:
Just enough grunt in the battery to start when I finished work to get home.
Called Nissan Tuesday and booked car in for today. Major apology re the neg cable.
Stepson who has just finished his Mechanic Apprenticeship bought home his Multi-meter and battery charger. Charged the battery over night.
Next avo with the Mult-Meter. Battery while not running was around the 12.3 something. When running it dropped to 11.7 something. Poo!!!!
The car has got several accessories including a dual battery system. However no accessories added since 2009.
All fuses appeared ok.
Thoughts anyone? I'm steering towards the wiring going to the alternator personally.
More interesting to me atm is what would cause no Battery and Sub-Tank light? Could this wiring do this?
Cheers and Happy New Year. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What would make Battery, Brake, & Sub-Tank lights do thi

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 31st, 2015, 10:01 am

What sort of Dual Battery Isolator do you have?? Solenoid type isolators have been known to fail over time; then again the burning smell does suggest a short somewhere....

Good Luck (& Happy New Year)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » December 31st, 2015, 12:20 pm

thanks mate. Just handed it in. Told them they can have it for a few days if needed.
It's been good to me. These things have got to come up sooner or later I guess. Least we didn't have any trips planed.
Cheers.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » December 31st, 2015, 1:35 pm

Hi Pete.

Just realised I didn't answer your question re the isolator. To be honest I don't know. However the good news is about 30 minutes after getting home Nissan called and very apologetically informed me that there was a wire on the alternator not even done up!!! Grrrrrrr. Battery and Sub-Tank lights back on and Multi meter readings all good. Phewww! Cheers again.
:) :) :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 31st, 2015, 1:54 pm

:thumb: I hope that's solved the problem!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

goldiexxxx
Been here a while

Unread post by goldiexxxx » March 3rd, 2016, 6:40 pm

I'm surprised they actually apologised............ very unlike the motor industry. I would have expected them to just replace a component, charge you for it and blame it on that.

Return to “GU Patrol”