ZD30 Brain Teaser - it stops randomly! Any ideas?

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: ZD30 Brain Teaser - it stops randomly! Any ideas?

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » June 15th, 2013, 7:53 am

Lux77 wrote:Any decent mechanical shop should be able to read the codes and give you an Idea on where to start.
Read the original post again Lux77. There are no codes being logged..... Not an uncommon occurance.
Dan.

Outdoor_Steve
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Outdoor_Steve » June 16th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Lux77, It doesn't stop when you are taking off, it is always a short time after that (e.g. 20m -200m)?? Nisssan tried to read the codes but said there was nothing there, so I am trying to get a code reader so I can see what happens when it actually stops. As it is a random thing it never seems to happen when the mechanics have had it!!

cmar - you are telling me!

Cheers, Steve

Outdoor_Steve

Unread post by Outdoor_Steve » September 30th, 2013, 5:08 pm

OK, Quick update on the saga and a request for any new ideas!

Purchased a bluetooth adapter for the OBD2 port, but unfortunately the GU3 patrol has the OBD2 port but Consult software in the ECU. Have now purchased an ECU Talk reader, works great but no codes have been registered since installed a few weeks ago. Have replaced the Crank Angle (revolution) sensor with no joy :-( And trust me when the wife drives 15 min down the road to buy some fuel then prawns (bless her heart) and it takes her 3 hours to get home due to random stopping there is no joy!

Vehicle still stops randomly after a number of short trips. Sometimes this is just a straight loss of all power, and occasionally it will now miss a few times before shutting down. Still no codes or engine warning light! Today I quickly went on and off the throttle when it started to die and got a few more seconds of life out of the engine before it died. I could also restart straight away and it would idle fine, but would stop when trying to drive (just normal load). Then sat for 5 mins and was able to drive home with no issue??

Any additional thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » September 30th, 2013, 11:51 pm

I had a hq wagon we put a commie v6 into. After some time it started doing the same as your gu. I swapped sensors and check this and that. Turned out to be an ECU problem, appeared that it had suffered a spike. Was logging no codes but would just randomly stop, if I put in neutral while still rolling I could normally restart. The day I did this at 100k and turned key back to steering lock and put myself off the road was the day I decided I had to get it sorted. Replaced ECU and problem stopped. May not be anything close to your prob but the symptoms were identical dude. Thee are a few blokes wrecking gu's on this site, gumtree and nissanpatrol4x4. You may be able to get a second handie or put a deposit on one to 'borrow' and see if issue stops.

My 'new wagon'
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

Outdoor_Steve
When you turn on the key does the feed pump run for a few seconds?
When you drive it and it stops is the pump still running.
With a T after the pump and before the OE filter you can plumb in the T and fit a low pressure gauge to it It should read around 6psi when running and if suddenly the pressure drop at the same time as the misfire or the stopping it will show the fuel pump to be faulty OR the fuel pump is being switched off by the ECU. That can be checked by a small test light connected to the pump +ve wire. If light goes out at the same time then the fuel pump relay is faulty or the ECU isn't keeping the relay switched ON.

Try the easy stuff first and the ECU replacements later. Fuel pumps are cheaper than ECU. You can also use a car inline EFI pump to supply diesel to the OE filter if required.

Outdoor_Steve

Unread post by Outdoor_Steve » October 4th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions SparkieKev and mydmax.

I'll check the operation of the fuel pump first, then look at the other options.

Will let you know.
Cheers

Outdoor_Steve

Unread post by Outdoor_Steve » October 6th, 2013, 2:57 pm

mydmax,
I don't hear any pump run for a few secs when the key is turned on and there is full pressure in the lines when I check the primer on the fuel filter. Is there a feeder/fuel pump (manual doesn't show one in the fuel system or a fuse or relay for one)? Only a transfer pump from the 2nd tank to the main tank. There is only the injection pump itself.

SparkieKev,
Love the engine conversion - might be an option!! I have checked the eco relay and it looks fine and connections are all clean. I also have an EcuTalk gauge fitted to the OBD2 port that constantly reads all the data supplied from the ecu. Whenever the car stops there is no disruption the the data feed to the EcuTalk gauge so I assuem the relay and ecu are fine?

I agree in trying the easy stuff and are slowly working my way through what I can.
Cheers

Outdoor_Steve

Unread post by Outdoor_Steve » October 13th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Quick update. Changed the ecu relay with the A/C relay and have driven for the last week without one shut-down. Not celebrating just yet as it is such an intermittent thing, but it's the best result I have had for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions to date and will advise again in the future whatever the outcome is (hopefully it's successful).

Cheers

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » October 19th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Fingers crossed mate
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:

wombats80
Avid Poster

Unread post by wombats80 » December 9th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Chasing a "same but different" issue with an '04 ZD30 Y61. Did a number of tests including scantool check and the st would not communicate with vehicle, meaning loss of power to the ECU .. or zero ignition - no power.

This vehicle would lose accessories, use the indicators and they'd stop working - sometimes engine cut out - sometimes no dash lights with ignition key to on position, starter motor will crank normally but will not start and run. Some of the symptoms could've been co-incidental.

Found ant carcasses in the ignition, acc and blower relays. None were stuck within the contacts of the relays.

Did a bit of other playing around (how much for a replacement relay from Nissan? - solid gold contact prices)

Still fairly clueless as to the cause - the issue with my rig is (after the no ignition, no dash lights issue was sorted) that seconds after start up, it stalls. Intermittant. With all diesels in my care, i start them up and walk away for a minute or 2 to finish a task. This one can stall, whilst idling, after only a few seconds or even when i'm in it, not long after, reversed, and exiting the driveway it momentary cuts out but will keep running as i'm driving. Left to idle, engine shuts down like you turned the key off?

wombats80
Avid Poster

Unread post by wombats80 » March 29th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Raising an old thread but i landed on it while googling a similar problem with a current Patrol DI ZD30 & outdoor_steve didn't get back whether the relay c/over worked. Maybe it did. I tried the same thing but without luck on my earlier post but i did end up resolving the problem. With the engine sitting there idling i was moving relays in the panel when the engine cut out. Restarted it, wriggled relays and same thing. Sourced another relay panel from the wreckers and solved the problem. They are a multi layed circuit board, not just wires in the back and fuses/relays in the front. The same P was back in only a few weeks ago for a rego check, 4yrs on, still going well.

The current one loses all power while up it for the rent off from traffic lights or having just taken a street corner. So revs aren't high but throttle position is. Zero mods have been done to it, bog standard. It doesn't stall but loses power like engine was switched off, fanning the throttle does nothing but letting throttle go and you're away again.

Return to “GU Patrol”