Replacing Steering Wheel

Finchy260
Need to get out more

Unread post by Finchy260 » December 23rd, 2009, 12:42 am

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! gq pete!! what ever you do!! do not put a pulsar wheel on your patrol!! i have had a wheel similar size on mine. and it was a pain in the arse!! always bashing your hands on the indicator and wiper stalks. and putting extra stress on the steering box as you need more in put when you have a smaller wheel. i have recently replaced mine with a autotecnica steering wheel which is 380 in diameter. your only problem is finding a replacement steering wheel that is dished. i couldnt but you might find something.

wickiwickiben
Been here a while

Unread post by wickiwickiben » December 23rd, 2009, 2:03 am

you could have easily repaired your own by injecting glue into it. takes 2 minutes and a couple of bucks

GQpete
Been here a while

Unread post by GQpete » December 23rd, 2009, 5:00 am

Bugger, bugger, bugger, I will check here first in the future. The new pulsar wheel is 370 mm so should be okay, I hope. Have a good Xmas all
91 GQ ST 3.0 RB30
[b][font=Arial Black][color=black]TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED[/color][/font][/b]

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » December 23rd, 2009, 7:00 am

Cant remember the name of the dude who does the resin injection, but he is mobile. If you google "Glass Technology", go to QLD section they list the techs phone numbers.

stormpatrol
Been here a while

refurbish

Unread post by stormpatrol » December 26th, 2009, 5:27 pm

A place called east side kustoms its in newcastle he did my old wheel fixed the loose stuff and then hand stiched a leather wrap around it bloody top job $ 250.00 cant better that im my book a few blokes at work are now doing thissame mod
DILLIGAF/ STEREO BY SIMEX LOCKED@LOADED

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 27th, 2009, 9:20 am

Don't know what pulsar wheel you are talking about Finchy but I never have a problem with hitting the indicator. I even think that it is less with the pulsar wheel.
Yes I had the same problem with a momo wheel. But never with with a pulsar wheel. Size of pulsar wheel is about that 370mm

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » December 28th, 2009, 12:09 am

GQpete wrote: The original patrol wheel is 400mm, so a reduction to 375mm would seem fine.
I'm having trouble finding a decent steering cover that fits the skinny GQ wheel. (It gets a bit slippery in the rough stuff so I want a grippy cover)
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Finchy260
Need to get out more

Unread post by Finchy260 » December 30th, 2009, 12:10 am

BigDutchy

well i do have a problem with the pulsar wheel - the reason you hit the stalks, is because the wheel is not dished enough and its too small. 370m is way too small mine had one of these stupid things put on it and i replaced as soon as i got it, as it was a pain in the arse. you should really replace the steering wheel with something of 380 dia or bigger, as any smaller and the indicator stalks become the biggest issue and finding a wheel that is dished enough will be your next biggest problem.

just my thought

GQpete
Been here a while

Unread post by GQpete » December 31st, 2009, 8:24 pm

I just fitted the SSS Pulsar wheel today that I bought off ebay and it is much better than the other pulsar wheel, it is thicker but the same size 370 mm. I did have to trim a little bit off the back of the well with a stanley knife though. I have not had any trouble yet with the indicator stalks either. It also looks much better than the gray pulsar wheel as well. Cheers
91 GQ ST 3.0 RB30
[b][font=Arial Black][color=black]TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED[/color][/font][/b]

Dirtydog16
Been here a while

Re: Replacing Steering Wheel

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » September 22nd, 2016, 5:06 pm

i know its an old thread but i knew a bloke that had a nissan micra and replaced the steering wheel with a pulsar one for some reason and i got his wheel, straight bolt on to 90 model gq.

It is a bit smaller though and you have to bend your neck a bit sometimes to see the hundred mark on the speedo.

I got given it thought so that's what I've got.

My old wheel not only twisted in my hands but stared to go powdery and would break apart in my hands while driving.

Return to “GQ Patrol”