Installing an alternator in an 89 Nissan Patrol GQ

mumof3monsters
I'm new, be nice!

Installing an alternator in an 89 Nissan Patrol GQ

Unread post by mumof3monsters » November 6th, 2009, 3:17 pm

I am taking out the old alternator and fitting a brand new one. Any tips from people who have done this already?
:(

flyin-bogga
Here and there

Unread post by flyin-bogga » November 6th, 2009, 3:49 pm

might not be much help but pretty simple just remember how you take original out and it will slide straight back in just make sure you got a few differant sets of spanners and sockets ( i found that a ratchet spanner is the best tool) you dont have to try and take a normal spanner off the bolt and try and find the head of the bolt again to put it back on... but maybe just a ratchet with a knuckle fitting would work..., good luck... i done one about 12 months ago only took about 30 mins in my drive way

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Make sure that you have the correct wiring adaptor for the new Alt BEFORE you mount it!! There are a few different plugs on the back of the various alternators, and most require an adaptor from the Nissan wiring loom. If you don't have the correct one, it can be awful hard to get in there and see which pattern you need, and can awful hard to reach in there to change adaptors if you find you need to!!

And at the risk of stating the obvious; if you haven't already noticed, (it IS hard to miss!!) the vacuum pump on the back of the alternator is important! You can fit an alt without one, but you'll find braking and maybe even changing gears (except for DX/Std models) hard if you don't have one! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mumof3monsters
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mumof3monsters » November 6th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Thanks for that fella's, i have made sure the new one is an exact match with both the wiring and the vaccum pump at the back. Will be giving it a go tomorrow with a patrol manual in hand as well. Wish me luck.

:)

DRTYBOY
Been here a while

Unread post by DRTYBOY » November 10th, 2009, 2:31 pm

very easy to do. just disconnect battery so you cant accidently arc out on anything and a tip is to unbolt the top bracket. makes getting it out alot easier.
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL

jeffs5
Been here a while

Unread post by jeffs5 » November 10th, 2009, 4:41 pm

mumof3monsters. Good luck, Can you do mine next?? :thumb: :thumb: :truck:

skid65
Here and there

Re: Installing an alternator in an 89 Nissan Patrol GQ

Unread post by skid65 » August 26th, 2015, 6:06 pm

I installed a projector battery monitor on tuesday, today the alam in it went off saying it was pumping 15.2 volts, I spoke to my auto elecy and he said the alternator was stuff so I bought a new one today, it is rated at putting out a max of 14.7 V, After a short drive when everything warmed up the alarm went off again saying it was putting out over 15 V. I call the sparky back on of the guys there said to check to make sure there wasnt a blown fuse, then he told me to pull the 2 wire plug out of the back of the alternator and put a test light on eash terminal in the plug, he said one should light the test light up bright the other should be dim, I did as he said one wire lights the light up the other doesnt, he said that was more than likely the sensor wire nd with out it any alternator would go crasy, Tested all fuses, all ok, when the car is realitivly cold to just warm the readings on the guage are fine, once it heats up, the voltage goes to 15 and over. called sparky again he said that a wire can be installed to bypass the break in the dead wire, rather than paying him can anyone tell me from the dead wire in the plug, where do I run the other end to?

its a 2000GU was origionally a 3ltr but previous owners converted it to a 4.2 so it a large degree the wiring under the bonnet has be barstardised, so I cant go by the wiring diagrams in my manual.....

Any advise one where I run the wire to fro the plug would be greatly appreicated...

Return to “GQ Patrol”