View topic - Fuse Keeps Blowing

Fuse Keeps Blowing

Here and there

Fuse Keeps Blowing

Hi Guys,

This problem just started yesterday when driving down the road.

The fuse line that keeps blowing (within 2 minutes of fresh fuse) is the parkers/dashboard/numberplate circuit.

I have the electrical knowledge of a monkey, but im guessing there is a short somewhere.

Was wondering if you guys have experience this and might be able to offer me some advice, or first places to start looking, or a checklist of things i should look at (easiest to hardest).

Thanks heaps everyone.

Cheers,

Chris
[color="Red"]Check Out My Shed![/color] - HADES GQ :truck:

1994 GQ LWB, 3" RidePro Springs, RidePro ROX Shocks, Snorkel, Spotties, Dual Batteries, 33" Claws

Unread postby vektahaus » September 18th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Part of the furniture

prob start at ya number plate light give it a clean and see how that goes, check the condition of the wirring around the light. make sure you have the appropriate size fuse as well maybe its been running ok on a smaller fuse for some reason but the actual fuse is bigger possibly..

hope that helps.
[align=center](80 series Poverty pack 1HZ TDI.)[/align]

Unread postby Muckinhell » September 19th, 2009, 7:35 am

Need to get out more

Trailer plugs can also cause dramas.

If you got one, and been playing in mud etc. It might pay to check it out.
93 Dual Cab Lux - The "Pisslux" - SOLD :(
www.mudrhino.com.au
New V8 luxy - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55302
REDLINE IS ONLY A SUGGESTION

Unread postby BushTuckerNed » September 19th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Been here a while

i had the same problem on my first gq 10 years ago after fitting a new after market stero. it turned out that the neg wire used in the original stero harness changes polarity and this was the cause. so i just ran the earth from the unit to the dash. (have you just fitted a new stero)?

Unread postby Outlawgq » September 27th, 2009, 3:43 pm

I'm new, be nice!

I had a similar problem but mine keeps blowing the ignition fuse?? Went though 3 of them trying to get home. Nothing else affected. Checked all the wiring and couldn't see anything dodgy. I have a turbo time wired up. Wondering if it could be that playing up??

Unread postby bout time » July 31st, 2010, 11:17 pm

Avid Poster

well the turbo timer will be wired into you ignition no doubt (i have never wired one up before so i cant say with any certainty)...just go through and check any earth connections that have anything to do with the ignition (as a start)...make sure they are clean, secure and are actually a good contact for an earth.

Unread postby Mat_P » August 1st, 2010, 6:03 am

I'm new, be nice!

Thanks Matt, I'll check that out. The strange thing is it just started happening?
Drove it to work in the morning, and started playing up when I left??

Unread postby bout time » August 1st, 2010, 2:05 pm

I'm new, be nice!

fuse keeps blowing

mate...its pretty simple. Pull the driver's side front indicator out, and 9 out of 10, its the wires there that are rubbing on the steel. Over time these wires peel and expose the inside, causing it to short circut. Trust me, Ive had 4 patrols over the years and all have done the same thing.
First time it happened, i took to electician, who charged me without fixing:mad:. Anyway i proceeded to pull apart the patrol. Im talking everything!! dash, panels, interior, even some engine parts! everything was fine but then when i pulled the lights out i saw the bare wire.
GQ's indicator wire is put in a really bad place, it rubs all the time.
Anyways, a bit of electrical tape.....fixed! i then put some flexi-plastic tubing around it to protect it. Fixed it right up.
In the following patrols....when that happened. it was the first place i looked and it was always same problem.
so look there...

Unread postby not-e-nuf » August 12th, 2010, 10:14 am

Return to GQ Patrol