Diesel smell in engine oil

Lawrence
Been here a while

Diesel smell in engine oil

Unread post by Lawrence » August 18th, 2009, 1:31 am

Hi guys. I checked my engine oil today and for some reason I smelled the dip stick. It had the smell of diesel fuel. Is this normal? What would cause this. i also have a problem hot starting. I dont know if this is related. I dont know if its my imagination but the oil level also seems a bit high. But from time to time it seems higher than others, which I assumed was condensation. Are the injectors leaking? Is it the pump? Its about time for an oil change anyway, which I plan to do next week.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 18th, 2009, 7:51 pm

Is your engine a TD42?? Does it have an aftermarket turbo?? Does the oil feel thinner than usual, and has the oil pressure been low or the engine running hot lately?

If you are getting diesel into the engine oil, not only will that be creating major wear and lack of lubrication issues, but I'd be guessing that you hafta have some other major problems too!! Add that knowledge to your hot starting issues, and I'd suggest that it's time to get the vehicle to a mechanic pdq, before it blows up on you!!

Just leaky injectors alone shouldn't mean diesel in the engine oil, unless you've got very poor compression or major block/head issues, and you really don't want to run the engine much at all with diluted engine oil, it WILL damage engine internals very quickly. I can't see how any problems in or with the injector pump itself would end up leaking diesel into the sump, unless you have both a leaking pump front seal & front main bearing issues, and even so, you'd be more likely to see oil running out of the timing gear than diesel filling the timing case & running into the sump. So how else would fuel get into the sump - the only way I can see would be that combination of at least one perpetually leaky injector and virtually non-existent compression/oil rings on the same cylinder. And you really don't want to let it go too long like that!

So I'd suggest at the very least get a compression test done, and maybe even get an oil analysis if there isn't any really obvious result from that. If you've got a turbo-ed engine - DON'T RUN IT for long at all until you get this sorted, especially don't put it under load of any sort! If you have compression issues that result in the sump scoring cylinder compression, it can force oil up into the cylinders or even thru the turbo seals & into the intake, and once you are forcing oil into a cylinder it can diesel on at ever increasing revs until the engine shatters - quite an explosive situation and pretty terminal to the engine too!

Get it looked at immediately!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Lawrence
Been here a while

Unread post by Lawrence » August 20th, 2009, 1:39 am

Sorry for the late reply. Yes Peter, it seems as if I mignt have been wrong about the oil after all, but I am currently checking out the pump and plan to change the oil this week.

Lawrence
Been here a while

Unread post by Lawrence » August 20th, 2009, 2:08 am

Whew, just had it checked out by the diesel man and everything seems fine. Injectors need servicing though

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 20th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Phew!! ;)

An injector service is nowhere near as drastic as diesel in the engine oil, at least it's something you get done readily without any great expense.

Cheers.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

davatartwo
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Diesel smell in engine oil

Unread post by davatartwo » March 21st, 2018, 7:31 pm

These are old posts but my son in law has a 2007 Pajero & it suddenly increased revs [ luckily he was going uphill ] and he had a job stopping it. A huge pall of white smoke came out of it, so much someone rang the fire brigade..
He had it towed to a mechanic & the story goes he drained 17 litres of fluid from the sump, it smelt of diesel and was very, very fluid. He hasn't got the Pajero back yet. They suspected a leak from the fuel pump front seal as the injectors were replaced, fuel lines checked etc. This is the 4th week the mechanic has had it, I think its beyond him.
Looks like experts as against expurts [ drips under pressure ] are hard to find... davatartwo

Return to “GQ Patrol”