Got any good Anti theft devices or ideas?

mad66
I'm new, be nice!

Got any good Anti theft devices or ideas?

Unread post by mad66 » December 16th, 2017, 7:05 pm

G'day fellas I am hoping to get some info or ideas on anti theft security for the Gq patrol. I have heard of a few thefts of late and one was used in a ram raid. I understand that if someone wants it bad enough it is gone but there must be a few tricks out there to help solve the problem. Any info would be great . Cheers

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Re: Got any good Anti theft devices or ideas?

Unread post by NZ LUX » December 16th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Have a switch in the ignition circuit that goes to the fuel pump solenoid. That's nice and easy, and effective too. Basically this stops fuel from entering the pump, and therefore the engine will only crank over, but not fire up.

Just wire it in somewhere downstream from the ignition barrel on the steering column. You can even use an existing button/switch on the dash to make it even harder for them to figure out what's going on.

mad66
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mad66 » December 17th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that it is a diesel motor and have head they are easier to pinch than the petrol jobs.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » December 17th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Yea, I was referring to a diesel injection pump. That's all it takes to get the things going - a 12V feed keeping that solenoid open, and either jumping the starter motor or just giving it a good push start in gear will get most old school diesels going.

They're bloody simple which makes maintenance and fault-finding a breeze, however the simplicity also means they're easier to start if someone wants to grab it, although they'd need to know what they're looking at and gain access to the engine bay.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the only reason why the petrol versions are harder to get going is because you'd have to find a 12V feed for the fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank, however I could be completely wrong on that one.

mad66
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mad66 » December 18th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Thanks NZ wasn't sure what you meant but that is a good idea and will look into doing it. Cheers

Flash6
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Flash6 » December 18th, 2017, 9:37 pm

How about removable steering wheel? If you can't steer it how can you drive it?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » December 30th, 2017, 9:42 pm

wire a switch to the ignition, so that when on, the ignition triggers the central locking and locks all the doors, then wire in a solenoid that fires a can of mace out from under the dash. . . . . completely illegal of course but I'd love to try it out on someone trying to steal my chariot! :twisted:

Return to “GQ Patrol”