4.2 clutch burning smell.

bone
Here and there

4.2 clutch burning smell.

Unread post by bone » April 5th, 2016, 6:37 pm

Hi all,
looking at picking up my first patrol soon (long time lurker, just been in zooks and tojos)
Have inspected a 1994 4.2 manual, with a new HD clutch installed last month.
On the receipt it states that the flywheel was machined 'due to having many hot spots'.
A new spigot bush was also installed.

Took it for a test drive up a reasonable hill, and then back down (about 10km downhill).
When I got to the bottom of the hill I could smell a clutch smell. Didnt think much of it as we were in traffic, and I hadnt used the clutch for the last 10km.

When I pulled up (about 5km away from the hill) to go over the car again there was a faint burnt clutch smell coming predominantly from the drivers side of the engine bay.

The owner took it to mechanics today, who couldnt replicate the smell. Reported plenty of bite left in the clutch etc. Owner said that warranty is transferable, and I can call the mechanic to confirm this.

Firstly - What could have caused this? (and i can drive manual fine you smart arses )
Is it likely to be an alignment issue, or something else?

Secondly - Would you walk away, or risk the purchase after this scenario?

Thanks in advance for your help

bigpig
Avid Poster

Re: 4.2 clutch burning smell.

Unread post by bigpig » April 5th, 2016, 11:10 pm

10kms down a reasonable hill, did you use the brakes, same smell is all?
If its slipping then maybe the pedal play is not adjusted correctly (pumping itself off with every press.

bone
Here and there

Unread post by bone » April 7th, 2016, 8:52 pm

thanks for the reply mate, not brakes though.
used engine braking to control the speed downhill.
had a truck pull up to us at the bottom lights, and thought it was the trucks brakes.
thats why i didnt think too much of it at the time.

then when i got back to the carpark, popped the bonnet to inspect there was the smell of clutch under bonnet.

pedal felt alright (first patrol driven), and no noticeable slipping.
gbox was a little notchy, but i just assumed that it was because it was 300km gbox.

bone
Here and there

Unread post by bone » April 9th, 2016, 7:51 pm

also, clutch is only 1000km old... is there a bed in time frame or something that may not have been followed??

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » April 9th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Try and take off quickly in second gear, or once in 3rd or 4th gear at about 1500revs, put your accelerator to the floor and while its accelerating slowly, put your foot on the clutch slightly to see how much you need, before it slips. If its not adjusted correctly it might still slip when you take your foot off the clutch, it Shouldn't slip in the last quarter. Don't let it slip for more than a second or so as it will get hot quick. If it continues slipping when your foot is off the clutch then there is something wrong. Other wise, it was not the clutch you could smell.

Return to “GQ Patrol”