Oil blowing smell in cold weather

dom14
Been here a while

Oil blowing smell in cold weather

Unread post by dom14 » April 21st, 2015, 3:20 am

Hey guys,
I've been driving a Nissan Patrol GQ RB30 for past few years.
It does something during cold weather that I can't work out.
It's blowing oil(smell)during cold weather.
It can be smelt from inside the car strongly during first few minutes of driving, after starting the car. I'm pretty sure it's the smell of oil. It must be getting through the small vents on the firewall to the inside of the car.
It does tend to very slowly blow oil out of rocker cover gasket, which I attempted to fix in the past by sealing the rocker cover properly with some silicon.
PCV is not blocked. The PCV valve is working fine.
The oil blowing smell comes out of the engine bay even after a full wash.
i would like to get to the bottom of it and fix it up.
Funny thing about this problem is that it goes away during warmer months and comes back during colder months.
Any tips or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
One quarter of the food you eat keeps you alive
The other three quarters keep your doctor alive

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: Oil blowing smell in cold weather

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » April 22nd, 2015, 1:54 pm

Oil dripping onto the exhaust as it warms up?

Degrease the engine and put a new rocker gasket in.

dom14
Been here a while

Re: Oil blowing smell in cold weather

Unread post by dom14 » April 23rd, 2015, 2:08 am

It goes through a degrease wash at least once every two months.
Smell is very noticeable during a cold start in winter months.
If the oil is dripping on to the exhaust during start up(or before), I need to find out the reason for that.
Yes, it's quite possible oil's dripping onto the exhaust, hence the reason for strong odor during a cold start during colder months(Oil's leaking, or rather blowing from the rocker cover gasket near cylinder 5 and 6)
It already has a new rocker cover gasket as well as gasket sealant holding the rocker cover tightly to the cylinder head.
So, I would like to think it's not caused by a weak rocker cover gasket.
Something else is going on.
I am about to do the valve stem seals.
If that doesn't fix it, I can't think anything else, other than worn oil rings, even though it has passed the compression test & leak down test on all the cylinders.
I read somewhere(or heard somewhere) that even with a good compression test results and good leak down test results, the oil rings can still be bad.
I don't know if that's true.
I hope some fella can advise me about that, or any other possible reason for oil blowing & smelling, specially when it's cold.
Thanks mate

P.S. The smell doesn't go away after an engine wash(if I remember correctly). I will wash again and see if that makes any difference. But, I'm pretty sure, a new rocker cover gasket won't fix the problem.
One quarter of the food you eat keeps you alive
The other three quarters keep your doctor alive

Return to “GQ Patrol”