Nissan Patrol GQ RB30 engine swap - Do I need a hoist?

dom14
Been here a while

Nissan Patrol GQ RB30 engine swap - Do I need a hoist?

Unread post by dom14 » October 30th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering,

Can the engine swap for a GQ RB30(manual, carby) be done without having access to a
hoist?!!
Basically, if I raise the vehicle safely and high enough using either jacks and stands or tree stump cut offs, that should give me enough access under the car to undo the gearbox bolts?!!

Or do I need to raise the vehicle at all?

Basically, can this be done with an engine crane and jacks/jack stands and few tree stumps(if I need to raise it any higher)???!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. My idea is to pull out the old worn engine and put in a low km RB30 engine from a Nissan Skyline.
One quarter of the food you eat keeps you alive
The other three quarters keep your doctor alive

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Nissan Patrol GQ RB30 engine swap - Do I need a hoist?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 2nd, 2016, 9:39 am

I know this is old, but for anyone else who maybe looking for the same/similar info....

More than likely the issue is going to be getting an engine hoist that will lift the engine high enough to clear the engine bay to get it out!! Sure, it's not untoward to do an engined removal/replacement without a hoist, in fact, there must've been thousands (millions??) done that way!!

Access underneath a Patrol to disconnect the gearbox isn't too difficult, but the gearbox/transfer case assy is bloody heavy & not easily held up or moved once it's disconnected!! You really need a good solid & level concrete floor and a heavy duty floor or trolley jack with a g/box cradle attachment on it, & ideally a few beefy mates - the trans assy weighs in at about 200kg, so even with a HD floor jack it's gonna be fairly intensive work to pull the g/box clear of the clutch/flywheel once the bolts are undone!! After that, lifting an RB30 engine out is the lightweight bit, but if you've raised the body too far to get the g/box back & clear, then you hafta lift the engine up an awful long way to clear the fenders!!

Still, it can and has been done!! :thumb: (You want hard?? You wanta try it with a heavy engine as well as a heavy g/box & trans case assy!! The TD42's are just a tad heavier, but remember, these are just smallish 4WD's, there's even worse out there!! :eek:)

Sorry this might not have helped you dom, but maybe it'll help others! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “GQ Patrol”