View topic - What do you think of patrol vs pajero in Auto's?

What do you think of patrol vs pajero in Auto's?

Getting to know the place

What do you think of patrol vs pajero in Auto's?

hello all, i have my eye on a pajero but also looking at gq patrol, i need an auto and have seen there a bit gutless as an auto, they seem a bit cheaper then pajeros and most come with the mods i want, are they any good and what should i look out for, we really want it for general off road and beaches.

Justo

Unread postby loveme4wd » May 19th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Been here a while

Re: patrol vs pajero

The autos are good unless you don't get them serviced when they need to be.
Then you start with the repairs & $$$$$.
White 1990 GQ patrol 5" lift 35's

Unread postby stripey patrol » May 19th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Re: What do you think of patrol vs pajero in Auto's?

ok i think thats all cars but isnt it, im gonna look at any 4wd i can find and be as picky as i can, so far ive got some great tips from all the posts here
Justo

Unread postby loveme4wd » May 20th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Need to get out more

If you want more off road capability and toughness get the Patrol but the 3.2 Pajero leaves it for dead in the power stakes.
You can chip both to get more power too. I recently put a Chip It in a new Pajero and it pulls a 2.7t van like it's not there.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Unread postby sudso » May 24th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I used to have a 89 Pajero (1st generation) and now I've a 95 GQ Patrol. I drove the Pajero around Australia (35,000km) and it didn't miss a beat. I've the Patrol just for a few weeks so far.

I think Pajeros are cheaper. I could have bought a 2000 or 2001 Pajero for the same price. Patrols are tougher.
I would think it's easier to find a Pajero in mint condition (service history, school run) than an old Patrol. Usually people use the mods they put in their cars. If you get a car with 35s and lockers front and end you will have to know exactly what to look for to find any gremlins.
Pajeros should run cheaper (especially if you get a newer one for the same $) but don't have as much power and are supposed to be more "complicated" in their construction.

I decided to get a Patrol this time because I wanted more power, a tougher car, a car where less can go wrong and every mechanic can fix it since I want to go deeper into the bush. If you don't want any of this because you only go on weekend trips, don't feel like driving hard tracks and probably don't need to tow a trailer the Pajero will give you a more modern car.

Unread postby Flo-w » May 29th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Been here a while

Can you define tougher?

From what I can see the Pajero drive train is very robust and almost never fail (similar in size and capability to the Patrol) this is compared against a Hilux or Prado. If you check the Pajero forums there are very few incidents of drive train/diff etc issues

Unread postby AlphaGen » May 29th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Here and there

AlphaGen wrote:Can you define tougher?

easy. how many comp trucks you see with pajero drive train and how many with patrol drive train. patrol transmision/tranfer case combo weights 160kg

Unread postby karol » June 2nd, 2012, 9:23 pm

Been here a while

karol wrote:
AlphaGen wrote:Can you define tougher?

easy. how many comp trucks you see with pajero drive train and how many with patrol drive train. patrol transmision/tranfer case combo weights 160kg

I would imagine a long distance offroad race across countries and different terrains would probably be the most true test for the toughness of a vehicle and its ability to take constant pounding of every piece of its drive train, engine and components, especially when in almost factory spec configuration. I suspect the Patrols you talk of are highly modified away from standard??

I do not see a Patrol listed here at all, but many many Pajero's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Dakar_Rally

Unread postby AlphaGen » June 2nd, 2012, 10:14 pm

Here and there

comp track are highly modified, but cars as such. they are modified often buy installing patrol drive train in them which is in standard form the toughest. thats a fact.
i think most of the people are more likely to go on a fun day out in the bush on a weekend as opposed to go on "a long distance offroad race across countries and different terrains".
and paris dakar pajeros have nothing to do with standard pajeros. according to your theory the best car for off road trip across australia could be as well citroen c3 or c4 as they were so successful in WRC in last 10 years

Unread postby karol » June 3rd, 2012, 6:30 pm

Part of the furniture

karol wrote:comp track are highly modified, but cars as such. they are modified often buy installing patrol drive train in them which is in standard form the toughest. thats a fact.
i think most of the people are more likely to go on a fun day out in the bush on a weekend as opposed to go on "a long distance offroad race across countries and different terrains".
and paris dakar pajeros have nothing to do with standard pajeros. according to your theory the best car for off road trip across australia could be as well citroen c3 or c4 as they were so successful in WRC in last 10 years

Not entirely true Karol.
In years gone by, 4WD's used in the Dakar rally were very close to the cars you could buy off the showroom floor and drivetrain wise they would have been pretty much identical.
These days on TV all you pretty much see are the T1 class cars which probably share next to nothing with the production cars that they are narrowly based on. Bit misleading really as what is now described as a T1 class BMW X3 for example is not much more than a buggy with a fiberglass shell (that looks a little like an X3) and a few BMW bits thrown in.....
There still is however, the T2 class for 'production vehicles'. You don't see too much of these on the TV but they are still out there getting the job done. Landcruisers, Hiluxes, Prados, Patrols and of course Pajeros amongst many others. Of course they will be modified in the way of suspension, tyres, roll cages etc etc but they are still production cars using the same basic running gear that you or I can buy off the showroom floor.
It's a shame they don't televise more of the T2 class, I would really enjoy seeing more of it.....
Cheers, Dan.

Unread postby Aussie_Dan » June 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

Return to GQ Patrol