View topic - Help with removing a TD42 Engine?

Help with removing a TD42 Engine?

Here and there

Help with removing a TD42 Engine?

I need to change the clutch on my GQ and i took some advise that it would be easier to remover the engine rather than the trans, All was going well until the last step. I have everything undone ready to pull it out but i cant seem to get it to split cleanly from the trans. At first i missed one bolt :rolleyes: but thats out and its has moved a little but not all the way out. Are there any tips to get it out is it just a case that i need to align it properly before it will slide out? If this is the case what is a good way to align it ?

Unread postby s-pack » May 5th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Admin

Re: Help with removing a TD42 Engine?

It's rarely any easier to remove the engine to get at the clutch on these things, as you've found out!

You'll need to put the engine back with it's weight on the engine mounts as tho it was still bolted up and then try to pull/'encourage' the gearbox back away from the engine to split it BEFORE you try to move the engine at all, cos you hafta take the engine forwards & up a bit before it's clear of the gearbox enough to get it out. Not much space to do that and pulling it up at the same time as trying to split it from the gearbox just jams it on harder. You hafta split the gearbox off entirely BEFORE you start moving the engine. We've been called in to help get things sorted once people have gotten this far fairly often, & invariably we've found that if you've made it to this stage & can't get the gearbox to split off then you'll hafta put the engine virtually right back in & might even hafta bolt it up to the engine mounts again or you'll never get the gearbox to move backwards enough to split it without dragging the engine along with it!!

So put the engine back as it was, bolt it up to the engine mounts if necessary, then split the gearbox off by moving it back; that does usually require removing the rear cross member so make sure that you have something suitable to support it in such a way that you can still pull it straight back from the engine block & drag the input shaft straight & cleanly out thru the clutch splines etc. Once it's all split apart, then you can decide if you still want to pull the engine out, but since it's probly gonna take a pretty hefty holder/lifter to carry the gearbox/transfer case arrangement that weighs in at around 200kg in order for you to split it, I reckon that you might find it just easier to finish by pulling the gearbox out from under that way instead, but do properly & firmly support the rear of the engine so it doesn't sag out of alignment or it'll make putting the gearbox back a lot harder.

And don't forget that putting the gearbox back in requires that clutch to be aligned properly on the flywheel, you can usually get fairly cheap clutch alignment tools from AutoPro or SuperCheap, probly less than $20 that will help with that - but then you need the engine to be fairly firmly fixed in place in order to align the gearbox & input shaft to let it all slide straight in too. That's where a good gearbox lifter comes in handy - it lets you line everything up and then just gently push them together; and it's not something you are likely to be able to do anywhere so easily if you are trying to do it the other way with the engine swinging off a crane etc while the gearbox is flopping around under the vehicle. Much easier with the engine fixed in place & the gearbox on a lifter.

Then again, you could remove the entire engine and gearbox, transfer case arrangement in once piece, then split the gearbox off with it all out of the vehicle, do whatever, re-assemble it all, and then put it back into the vehicle in one piece - but that's not fun either. I'd be putting the engine back, getting hold of a bunch of axle stands (or borrowing a hoist) & a gearbox lifter, and removing the gearbox out from under while leaving the engine in place. Anything else is gonna take more work & be more hassle. Or you could pay someone else to sort it all out for you, hopefully someone with all the right gear on hand and experience with doing these things. ;)

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » May 5th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Here and there

thanks for the advice, i ended up getting a mate around to help today and bingo after playing around with the angles she just slid off easy. Once out hey its a brand new clutch and the machining marks are still on the flywheel however something had let go inside the were little nicks all over the pressure plate and a few in the bellhousing, plus a few loose bits of metal shavings.

The other reason i wanted to pull the engine out is to do the sump gasket as it was really oily aand as i found out the rear main has a little leak aswell so i will be doing that will its out plus a good wash with the pressure washer at work. The top of my engine is so clean with the brand newturbo kit and all the welsh plugs seem to be done aswell so now i should have a bottom end to match.

Unread postby s-pack » May 6th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Admin

Hope you've found the loose bit in the bell housing?! Apart from that, it all sounds good, you're more than half way there! Good Luck with the rest. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » May 6th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Here and there

I've never had to go through that sort of drama to get one out before and really can't think of any reason why you would need too.

Just put a floor jack under the bell housing to lift the front of the box up, that will let you lift the engine off its mounts and give room to move. Then it's just a mater of prying the two apart to break the bead of sealer that nissan use.
With the radiator out there is more then enough room to bring the motor forward to clear the clutch from the bell housing.

I'm not trying to be smart arse here, but all that just seems like a lot of effort and a very long and overly complicated way to do what is a simple and straight forward job.

Unread postby brad_m » May 13th, 2012, 9:06 am

Here and there

thats exactly what i did, just needed to get the angles right then it pretty much jest fell apart witout any need to yank it apart

Unread postby s-pack » May 14th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Return to GQ Patrol