GQ TB42s bad misfire problem

diesel_boy87
Here and there

Re: GQ TB42s bad misfire problem

Unread post by diesel_boy87 » August 14th, 2011, 7:29 pm

possibly try the distributor points mine were burnt out and i also replaced the condensor on the distributer....

Jaymes
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Jaymes » August 18th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Carby kit is pretty easy to put through, I had never done one before doing mine and with no diagram in the box i was hesitant but just took my time pulling one part off at a time and taking photos as i went just in case i did stuff something up. Didnt need the pics in the end and found it easier than I had imagined. Just take your time and take note of where things are before pulling them off.

ausmendoza
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ausmendoza » November 11th, 2015, 12:23 pm

I have had the same problem as LUX253 and did all the same things. Here is what I did below and I hope it helps someone. Any thing extra I may have missed that someone has tryed please tell. (DO NOT quote all this please, just add your own post!)

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking for a fix for this problem for over 2 years, I fix it then it plays up again, so I'm thinking I'm not the only one. Finding out some fixes myself I thought I would share.

I started by replacing the points, dizzy cap, & condensor, then leads, and it ran good for about 250km.

Next I had to replace my coil and coil lead as it was damaged and my points kept burning out as someone wired up the coil wrongly. The choke kept staying on which was due to an under powered alternator and a bad earth causing the battery to run low.

Also I replaced the carbie as it was leaking and had other problems. Took it to a garage where they pulled the dizzy apart and put it back together. It ran better but once it went off road it started playing up again.

I pulled the dizzy cap off and the other Whatchamacallit off to get to the points and it didn't have origanal rubbers to seal it off from water and dust and the bottom rubber wasn't even there.

I found some large O rings to fit the Whatchamacallit (there is no picture of it in my Gregory's book and the local Repco shop didn't have a record of it) but i couldn't find a thicker rubber for the top of the dizzy that the Whatchamacallit sits on. I filled the gap with sikaflex and pressed a rubber O ring into it. It seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Each time it ran well until I went into water or down a dusty road.

I hope I have fixed all my issues with the patrol running like crap, but only time will tell.

Someone told me that the fuel injecton models don't have same problems as the carbie model?

Also need to add - my Patrol was running a bit hot when I first got it, so I took off the huge nissan badge to give it better air flow. Worked a treat.

Return to “GQ Patrol”