Will this work as a GQ snorkel?

Animal89
Here and there

Will this work as a GQ snorkel?

Unread post by Animal89 » January 20th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Guys i'm thinking to do snorkel 4 my GQ. Safari snorkel is too expensive, snorkel from fiberglass is too soft, besides i dont like pipe going on whole fender so i came up with this:
What do U guys think ? Someone done something like this ? I know that air filter box must be replaced, coolant tank also, all vacuums for brakes, clutch and diff lock also...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Will this work as a GQ snorkel?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 20th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Hi Rafał (gotta work on remembering that :o Animal is easy tho :p ) Your GQ has a diesel RD2.8i doesn't it? That should have a separate vacuum pump to provide all the necessary vacuum for brakes, clutch, & diff lock, so your new snorkel shouldn't impact any of that too much, except for maybe longer hoses to the relocated positions; but you are right about wanting to upgrade the filter & filter box. There are quite a few GQ's over here with snorkels similar to what you've shown in that pic, but I'd try to avoid using plastic if you can. Know anyone who can supply & weld up 4 inch dia stainless pipe??

Mind you, one of the reasons for putting it thru the fender rather than cutting out a section of bonnet is that the fender is more fixed & braced; less likely to rattle around & wear thru the snorkel over time; much stronger support for the snorkel so hitting it with a tree or scraping it down a rock wall won't rip it off; and the Safari style mount position is half on top of the flare in the guard anyway, so there's less snorkel sticking out into areas that are likely to have things run along them & try to rip the snorkel off in the first place!! Safari thought out & tested a whole HEAP of designs & rejected most of the alternatives (including some very similar to yours) as being more prone to damage &/or restricting the airflow into the airbox too much. There again, your engine isn't a big engine nor does it have a need for massive amounts of air, even with the turbo & intercooler, so your planned snorkel should be able to suck plenty of air for your engine's needs! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » January 20th, 2019, 10:08 pm

yeah i have rd28t. Vacuum pump is on the back of alternator and all vacuum tanks are on the side that also filter box is, so all of this will be on way where new snorkel will be. I know that i will have to cut a piece of bonnet and maybe a piece of fender but i will reinforce it if needed. About welding stainless pipe i think i will buy straight pipes and connect them by silicone hoses..

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » January 28th, 2019, 3:32 am

i have found nothing soo i;ve started to do something myself :D
vacuum tanks relocated, air filter welded, and i drilled hole in the back to put snorkel in..

Return to “GQ Patrol”