Buying a Troopy? Need advice? Put your Q & A's in here!

nilla60

Re: stressed out bloke needs help - how to pick a good troop

Unread post by nilla60 » September 20th, 2011, 10:35 pm

sacksoverheads wrote: any hints tips anything would be helpful i am sick and tired of looking buying then 12 months down the track have a huge mech bill and having to sell a p,o,s for 1/4 of what i paid for it........hhheeeellllppppp :mad:
Yeah, definitely a case of "the poor man pays twice". Can you sit tight for a bit and buy something better/dearer later on? $25k can get you an ex guvvie 100 series that's a bit rough around the edges but young. Guy I know got a really good Pajero TD for $5k and it was in great condition (until he parked it in the Mitta Mitta anyway, now it's really clean as well).

sacksoverheads
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sacksoverheads » September 21st, 2011, 7:15 am

thanks Redfox355 advice like that is welcome my mistake hj fj opps shows what i know but i am looking for a hj becouse thay are known as bullet proof what abouht a bundera????

jackson.baker
Here and there

Unread post by jackson.baker » September 21st, 2011, 10:47 am

I have a troopy for sale but it's probably out of your price range, 1993 with a 1HDT lockers lift etc, has no rust and never had any and, only 205 thousand kays... Pm me if your interested...

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » September 21st, 2011, 12:13 pm

I'd be looking for a good service history for a start.....the 1HZ in particular is well known for being able to clock up big kays if its looked after properly, and especially if its a vehicle that's done a lot of highway trips....some would say that at 200K it's just run in.....and I know of at least one that's done over a million km without a rebuild.....

I'd also be checking the front end out, particularly around the swivel hubs....to the best of my knowledge these are a very similar design to the Hilux ones, and can leak over time....there's a couple of threads on here showing how to rebuild toyota swivel hubs.....from what I can see its not the most difficult fix, but it is time consuming....

finding any older 4WD without rust can be a hard task, personally, I would take one that had a bit of minor rust in it if the rest of the vehicle checked out properly...I would make sure I knew where the rust was though, and what it might cost to fix it....

also, look for signs of off road use/abuse, particularly underneath the vehicle....this will give an indication of its history.....I've also seen what the utes get treated like on mine sites, so if it looks like its an ex mine (or construction) vehicle, I'd probably keep looking
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » September 21st, 2011, 12:31 pm

have you had a look on carsales? theres 159 cruisers for sale on there for less then 10k.

heres a few i found:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... DCF5FDA39C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... DCF5FDA39C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or if you scrap up a little bit more money:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... DCF5FDA39C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sacksoverheads
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sacksoverheads » September 21st, 2011, 1:20 pm

thanks cac and rolly82 huge help :) :) :) :) :)
where do i find the thread rebuild swivel hubs???????

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » September 21st, 2011, 1:34 pm

quickest way would be to use the search function and type in rebuild swivel hubs as the criteria....

I can't actually remember which section it was in though.....

EDIT: found the thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90889&hilit=rebuild+swivel+hubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Flying Circus
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Flying Circus » September 27th, 2011, 7:09 am

My Big thing when i was looking for my troopy was find something with minimal rust! ... mechanical things are easy to fix! especially since my dad is a mechanic and we could nut it out! ...

id say find something with minimal rust or easy to fix, then when taking it for a drive to make sure it doesn't smoke to much for a diesel because that can lead to tooo many problems but it should be rather quiet when driving it you can hear loud noises in the gears or bearings then that can be problematic.. finally get under it and check for any excessive seapage around the engine and all your usual spots...

just my two cents as a troopy owner.

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ78R » September 27th, 2011, 12:37 pm

The biggesd problem in this case is the budget of $9000.00 Any vehicle around or under that price range are of such age that they all have many k's and or rust.

sacksoverheads
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sacksoverheads » September 28th, 2011, 9:49 am

thanks to all that have commented on my posts i have recently tripped over a site called boost clasifides and found a number of 4wds that are 1980s to 1990s hj75 custom utes with lift kits all the bells and whissles 250,000km on the clock for around 6500 to 10,000 will these be anygood???? iam just trying to find my way round the market.

Redfox355
Been here a while

Unread post by Redfox355 » September 28th, 2011, 7:20 pm

It really depends... most 4bys with lots of mods have generally been pushed quite hard offroad. So each one has to be individually assessed on its condition. The benefit of the mods is that you are saving a fair bit of money if you plan on doing them in the future.

rjp765
Here and there

Info on new dual cab - towing

Unread post by rjp765 » September 26th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently looking at getting a dual cab 70 series to us to tow our 3.5t gooseneck and horse float.
I'm interested to hear from anyone who has one that has been used for towing.
I'd like to know;
- what sort of fuel economy you get,
- how does it actually go towing,
- does a hayman reese fit into the factory towbar,
- anything else of interest.
cheers
Russell

On a Rdo
Been here a while

Re: Info on new dual cab - towing

Unread post by On a Rdo » September 28th, 2013, 9:57 pm

What have you been using to tow it at the moment?

If it works all ready why change!
2013 GXL 76 Series

rjp765
Here and there

Unread post by rjp765 » September 29th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I want to downsize from an Isuzu NPR300 Crew Cab........ And the BT-50 didn't really like having the gooseneck behind it.
Great to tow on the highway, but gets problematic when you have to go thru wet paddocks.
If anyone wants an Isuzu, let me know :-)

bennyboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bennyboy » September 29th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Hey Russel
I have new 79 dual cab, I run a construction buissiness and tow large trailers regularly, I towed our tri axel trailer 6m long 3000km return trip weighing bout 2.5t and easily put cruise control on 110-20 and towed it easy. I was really happy with it, averaged round 19-20 litre per hundred. My previous vehicle was a 400hp f250, probably best tow vehicle available and I was still impressed with cruiser!
Regards Ben

Return to “70 Series”