Buying a Troopy? Need advice? Put your Q & A's in here!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Buying a Troopy? Need advice? Put your Q & A's in here!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 6th, 2007, 5:48 pm

Admin Edit: in an effort to reduce the number of threads asking the same questions about buying used Troopies, this thread is now the single place to put your 'Buying a Used Troopy Questions & Answers' as well as any feedback &/or recommendations about them. ;)

Back to Brett72's 1st post in the thread

Me and a mate are looking at taking 12 months off work and travelling around the country, with a $25,000 budget for the vehicle and fit-out.

We are looking at the old trusty Troopy, but due to there being so many variants out there, need some help in picking the right one. Also, any hidden issues or problems to look out for when we start hitting the saleyards.

I would love to hear what you would do on a budget, to get this vehicle ready for such a trip. Already planned is to remove the rear seat and make up some rear drawers/bed area, roof rack and side awning.

Any advise is appreciated.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

micbec
Been here a while

Unread post by micbec » February 6th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Look for a post 1990 model, specifically one with a 1HZ motor, they are better than the previous motors.

There are three different seating variants, 3, 6, and 11 (with your stated budget I'm omitting the later 5 seat model), all pretty much the same but if you only want the front seats look for a 3 seater.

Assuming the car was still stock standard, for your sort of trip I would put some new suspension on, fit a snorkel, and some extractors.
Next would be a dual battery setup to run all those extras whilst on the road. For touring I would look at replacing the front seats with something more comfortable.
A UHF radio would also be on the list.
Some simple recovery gear, shovel, hi-lift jack for those dusty side trips.
Rear drawers are quite expensive so if your budget doesnt permit them they're pretty easy to knock up something simple.
I would get an additional spare wheel also as it adds some peace of mind when in remote areas.

I dont know of anything specific to look for when buying one, just stay away from the ex mining vehicles.

Hope that helps

Troopy93

Unread post by Troopy93 » February 6th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Mate, when I bought mine it had 338000km on it and drove excellent, it now has 407800km on it and drives better, uses no oil , has no engine noise (rattles) and does anything i want to do in it. Don't let high Ks put you off, drive them and make your mind up. I drove one with 96000ks on it before i got mine and it was a dog. Good luck and great choice. Troopy93

78x Cruza
Been here a while

Unread post by 78x Cruza » February 7th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Try the ex-gov. auctions (pickles.com). 3yr, 70,000k troopys sell around $32000. but some gov. depts (landcare, greencorps, universitys, schools, telstra) have slightly older ones or minor damage for $15-20,000. I bought '02 ex-ambulance with 70,000ks for $18,000, few bits & pieces missing in cab, few dents & scratches and the back stripped out..... I cut the back off anyway!!
Troopy under knife

stormtroopy
Here and there

used troopy

Unread post by stormtroopy » February 9th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Yeah the later models (78 series) have better standard suspension than the older ones (i have an old 1991 75 series but it runs great). the newer ones have longer leaf springs and even though the ride isnt coil spring plush its alot better than the older ones.

Also get a proper racv test or something similar i did a head gasket not long after getting mine and my mechanic said it looked like the last owner did a bodgie repair just to sell it....... mechanical tests are peice of mind and a smart move. that **** up cost me $2250.

On a more positive note though, options for upgrades are plentifull. Mine has a fully legal two inch lift (rock crawler leaves, rancho adjustable shocks-well worth the extra dosh, all new poly bushes and u bolts and I fitted it all myself as they are easy to work on. All suspension mods cost me $2400.

Get one with the two fuel tanks-its a godsend, and like the other guys have said dont be scared of K's mine has 360,000 and goes like a rocket (except up long hills) so if you want to tow or haul big loads fit a turbo if you get one of the porper packs, or maybe fit two hi-clones for a little extra pep. Mine has 360,000 k's and i still get 12 litres per 100 k's fully loaded and that was on a 1200 km trip half road half first gear low at four thousand revs going sideways uphill.

I have the eleven seater and I just lay some ply across the seats, throw in my double mattress from clark rubber ($200) and its awesome to sleep in. I made a long draw from ply for the space under the bed (between the seats) and its so big I fit my air compressor, bbq, two camping chairs, several bags and other loose crap like torches ect. easy to make your self.

Mine has a roof rack, but as mine is old, i had to cut some rust out of the sils before i bolted it on (nothing a welder and grinder didnt fix) once you got one up there though the amount of gear you can pack inside and up top will AMAZE you.

Something you will have to seriuosly think about is jacking points for a high lift jack. I have a ARB steel bar and a custom made rear steel bar with jacking points so im fine, but with the two bars if i dumped it up to the hubs in goop without them id be farrrrked. money well spent.

I could go on and on but they are great trucks just dont pack really heavy stuff on the roof cause they are skinny and high after a lift put your heavy gear inside and light stuff up top.

Get one.

CatMan
Been here a while

Unread post by CatMan » February 10th, 2007, 11:39 am

There was an article in issue 101 (Jan 07) on buying a used 78 troopy. Might be a good start on what to look for. Rob.

landcrusier ute
Part of the furniture

Unread post by landcrusier ute » February 10th, 2007, 8:45 pm

read the recent 4wd monthly mags i am not sure which issue it is in but there is like 2 pages of used troppies my boss own one and siad that the front wind screen pillar cracks but that is all i know
2005 Toyota Hilux Single Cab EX Mines
[b][i][size=100][color=green]Run A Muck 4WD Club(timmy)[/color][/size][/i][/b]
[b][i][size=100] [/size][/i][/b]

ryangus
Been here a while

Buying a troopy - help required...

Unread post by ryangus » February 10th, 2008, 8:16 pm

I'm looking at buying another troopy to replace my 92 model. My current troopy is a poptop 4.2 diesel, but alas, rust has started eating away at the side rear window sills, and along the join with the poptop. Also, now I have a new baby, we need forward facing seats in the back for a baby seat.

I've found an 04 I'm interested in, with an extra side passenger door and forward facing seats. It's an ex-mine vehicle, and although it's done almost 200,000km, it looks rust free and well maintained.

So, whilst I'm a troppy owner already, I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer about what to look for.

I'm also Sliver RACQ member - is it worth getting a RACQ check? Are their any other checks by providers other than RACQ specifically for 4WDs?

Thanks in advance

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 10th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Go to my Troopy Group - TroopOz if you need any specific info re troopies......... Nearly 600 Members there now, so it a good resource for troopy nuts .. ;)

troopyoz : TroopyOZ - Troopcarrier Owners Group

Cheers
Harb
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

ryangus
Been here a while

Unread post by ryangus » February 10th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Awesome - thanks mate. Only problem is I hate Yahoo Groups :( I'll try it again and see if I can tolerate it...

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 10th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Just turn off the send Emails feature mate and just set it up for read on the web only feature...
Let me know when you join up and I will let you in........

cheers
Harb

ryangus
Been here a while

Unread post by ryangus » February 10th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Done - created a new yahoo account as TroopyRanga. I await in anticipation :)

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 10th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Ok you're in !!

Good luck with the search !

Cheers'
Harb

EZYTROOPY
Been here a while

Unread post by EZYTROOPY » February 11th, 2008, 7:42 am

Harb

HEY MATE, JUST SIGNED UP AS WELL USING USER NAME EZYTROOPY.
98 Toyota Landcruiser

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 11th, 2008, 8:54 am

Ok , You're in too mate.... ;)

Return to “70 Series”