78 Troopy vs 79 Pickup for overlanding/living out of?

Bruosk
Here and there

78 Troopy vs 79 Pickup for overlanding/living out of?

Unread post by Bruosk » April 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm

These two to me look closely matched when heavily modified with storage systems, the 78 with the alucab top, the 79 with a RTT on canopy. Both have similar payloads. As far as i can tell it comes down to personal choice & setup style. The 78 can have the advantage of sitting inside in extreme weather, but imo way too cramped to be practical, while the pickup has a more open easy to access camper trailer feel to it on the tray.

Why do people choose one over the other? I have no experience with the 70series & just wan't some sort of pros & cons of each. One thing about the pickup I noticed from looking at them on the roads is the tray still looks to go far past rear axle so maybe with a tray kitchen along with heaps of supplies/spares is pushing the limits?

cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 78 Troopy vs 79 Pickup for overlanding/living out of?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 11th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Over quite a few years, I've had heaps of customers get all excited over RTT's in the early flush of their 4WD'ing experience, yet with very few exceptions they've pretty much all sold them & gone to one (or more) of the alternatives!! Tents, lift-top troopy's or slide-on campers, trailer campers, even off road vans, but off the top of my head, I can't recall ANYONE who is still 4Wheeling & still regularly using a RTT after a couple of years of getting out there into our great backyard.... :purplex:

That might not help you much with the choice between a Troopy camper & a slide-on or tray-top camper, but I think that info plus a quick look at how many RTT's hit the second hand market while still relatively new probably warrants a little consideration in your decision..... :p

Enjoy! ;)

Ps: if you are buying new, I believe it's only the cab-chassis tray tops that get all the Euro 5/mine spec safety compliance stuff, the Troopy's don't get so much of the safety gear, altho they are way better'n they used to be!! :rolleyes:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “70 Series”