Anyone tried swapping trays direct from 75 series to 79 series?

Comrad
Here and there

Anyone tried swapping trays direct from 75 series to 79 series?

Unread post by Comrad » November 21st, 2017, 12:35 pm

Hello all,

Just a quick question about the different bodies on 75 vs 79 series utes. I currently have a 1996 HZJ75 Landcruiser ute which I love, but, its getting a bit tired and slow. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer model ute that doesn't struggle so much towing the boat. I'm thinking of going something in the 79 series, at least after 2007(preferably after 2010) so I get the V8 engine.

Thing is, I have a highly customised tray for my ute, which I love (standard steel tray, but its got a bunch of tool boxes, water tanks, cameras, lights, electrics, a canvas canopy, and a rooftop boat loading system). I'd really like to keep my setup just how it is, so I'm thinking of getting a newer 79 series, and just swapping the trays before selling my current ute. Has anyone done this before and can comment on the viability of this? I most likely wouldn't be doing the work myself, as I don't have a gantry crane, and I don't really want to hire a Franna, so I'm thinking of taking it to some sort of auto body shop or something, so, if there were slight modifications required, I imagine I could get them done. I'm just trying to see if there's any huge red flags as to why it can't be done, or really just people's experiences/opinions in general.

Thanks guys, I look forward to reading your responses.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Anyone tried swapping trays direct from 75 series to 79 series?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 21st, 2017, 12:55 pm

For what it's worth, when we were doing the same sort of thing as we upgraded from the 75 series to 79 series LandCruisers in the Snowies back when the 79's were newly released, we weren't able to do a direct swap with the old tray or troopy modules we'd been using & developing for some years; the 'made specifically for 75 series' units needed modifications to fit onto/into the newer vehicles, & I'm not all that sure that we didn't hafta do some chassis mount mods too so that the new vehicles had bearing surfaces & bolt down points in all the right places - but we DID get it done... eventually!! IIRC, it took 2-3 days for each of the 70 odd units tho, so it definitely wasn't just a straight forward swap; at least not for the fairly extensively kitted out trays & troopy inserts we had at the time! :(

Of course, YMMV, but measure & inspect AT LEAST twice before committing! Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

stretch4x4

Re: Anyone tried swapping trays direct from 75 series to 79 series?

Unread post by stretch4x4 » November 22nd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yeah the mounts moved when the wheel base and cab got bigger.
I forget which direction it was but one way would leave a large gap and one way the tray would hit the cab (probably 75 tray on 79 cab)

Not sure if the wheels are in the same spot though and you might be able to just have all the mounts fixed.. Would need to get the tape measure out..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Return to “70 Series”