1991 HJZ Ute - steering has a knock in it?

Dicko_81
Here and there

1991 HJZ Ute - steering has a knock in it?

Unread post by Dicko_81 » October 14th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Hello folks my son's 1991 HJZ Landcruiser ute has a knock in the steering - any thoughts on it - worn steering box is my first thought?

Cheers

Dicko

Comrad
Here and there

Re: 1991 HJZ Ute - steering has a knock in it?

Unread post by Comrad » November 21st, 2017, 10:34 am

I think this is a fairly commonly noticed thing with these utes, I noticed it in my HZJ75. In my case it was the torsion being placed on the body (particularly at low speeds) which cause the front leaf springs to move slightly in their cradle. The knock sound is one of the leafs shifting. It'll shift back when you turn the other way. No big deal, really, it's just something that happens as the vehicle gets older and some slight play develops in the suspension.

I've heard of some people taking out the spacer for the front hanger that the bolt fits through and grinding a few MM off it so they can tighten it more, reducing the play, but, I've been told by suspension people that its not really necessary, as long as you don't mind the sound, its not really detrimental.

Having said that, it may be a worn steering box. The easiest way to check if its the springs is to get someone under the ute, with their head right at the front of the front springs and get a friend to turn the wheel. You can see/hear the springs move if that's the case.

Return to “70 Series”