Is this 79 series 4WD ready?

kcdusk
Here and there

Is this 79 series 4WD ready?

Unread post by kcdusk » February 19th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I'm close to buying a second hand 79 series dual cab land cruiser. After purchasing it, i'm not going to have any coin left over. So, how 4WD ready is the 79 series?

The one i'm looking at does have front and rear diff lock.
It has standard suspension (and therefore no lift kit).
And the engine is standard also (i.e. no extra power from a chip or 3" exhaust).

Will i still be able to tackle some pretty serious (deep fluffy) sandhills?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Is this 79 series 4WD ready?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 19th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Absolutely!! :thumb:

Just remember that good tyres & lowering your tyre pressures to increase traction & lengthen your footprint will help you go a helluva lot further, especially in soft, deep, & bogging sand, as well as in most muddy or slippery conditions too; but you will need to be careful re losing too much ground clearance & being to quick with your control inputs - ie going harder is rarely better & often just increases the risk of bogging &/or damage, while matching lowered tyre pressures with selecting the right gear & revs to maintain momentum (which doesn't necessarily come from speed!) will help. AND donn't forget that once thru, you will need to have the ability to pump your tyres back up again - but for a looong time all that most of us old farts used to have to do that with was a hand pump (I still remember... 450 pumps to take each tyre from 8 psi back up to 35psi!) They might be slow & hard work, but they DO work!! :p

As for tackling the tough stuff, there's a couple of 'Rules of Thumb' that are worth remembering:
Firstly, If in Doubt, Stop, Get Out,& Have a Look!! :thumb:
Secondly, If in doubt about speed & gear selection, go low & go slow, at least for the first try! :thumb:

And if you are driving in dusty conditions or just 'off the beaten track', these things REALLY need you to pay close attention to keeping your inlet air, fuel, & all the oils & lubricants clean & un-contaminated, especially with regards to water, dust, or mud! If you can't upgrade your filters & fit raised breathers, at least take along a couple of spare air & fuel filters & change them often!!

That'll certainly get you out there & tackling pretty much anything you want to tackle!! Then as time progresses & you start to work out what you feel your vehicle or you might need a bit of help with to help you go further & easier; you can save up for those mods that you feel are essential, protect your vehicle better, or just make your life &/off road trips easier. But even Stock as a Rock, most Modern 4WD's WILL take you just about anywhere you might like to tackle - we just get spoilt be the vast range of mods & accessories available today! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

kcdusk
Here and there

Unread post by kcdusk » March 4th, 2017, 8:24 am

What about exhausts.

Does a "straight 3 inch" sound or perform better than a "bent mandrel"?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 4th, 2017, 10:29 am

kcdusk
What do you mean by a straight 3" exhaust V/S mandrel bent. They are all bent somewhere, not just a lot of straight bits.
An exhaust bent on a former or with an external die generally has a significantly reduced id at corners/bends and that does alter the smooth flow of the gas waveform as the gas leaves the engine. Mandrel bending leaves the bends with almost the same ID all the way and gas can flow more easily and efficiently through those.

kcdusk
Here and there

Unread post by kcdusk » March 4th, 2017, 11:51 am

I thought "straight 3 inch" and "mandrel bent" were both terms I'd read in classifieds for the 79 series, so I wasn't sure of the difference.

Can an exhaust make the 79 series sound nice even without a chip and intercooler?

Return to “70 Series”