VDJ79R Low Oil Pressure now won't run! Any suggestions?

wallaroo
I'm new, be nice!

VDJ79R Low Oil Pressure now won't run! Any suggestions?

Unread post by wallaroo » February 21st, 2016, 12:32 pm

Have a 2007 Workmate Utility. 112,000km on the clock. Owned it for only 2 months. Last Serviced 2,000km ago.

While driving a few days ago, low oil pressure light came one, and within seconds all dash lights came on and vehicle shut down. Rolled into table drain and have had to put on a tilt tray to get home. Vehicle will start, but sounds awful. Big Rattle. Just drained oil. Full volume - so wasn't low on oil. Oil filter looks ok. Some metal sparkling in oil, very fine, suspect alloy as a magnet will not pick it up. Spoke to my regular mechanic (he hasn't inspected vehicle yet - have just described situation to him). He says 2007 V8 cruisers were renowned for troubles. He said seeing metal in oil is bad, and combined with the event, he thinks more than likely the engine is stuffed and recommended that he would purchase a brand new engine and put in. By brand new, I mean just that. New out of a crate. It sounds seriously expensive. And a little drastic.

Anyone have anything similar happen and any suggestions. Anyone got experience pulling the 1VDFTV engine apart and rebuilding one? Any advice would be much appreciated. Can't say I'm too wrapped after owing it only a few months. The previous owner was a 80 year old man how did very few km in it and the vehicle looks like new.

Help

bigpig
Avid Poster

Re: VDJ79R Low Oil Pressure now won't run! Any suggestions?

Unread post by bigpig » April 5th, 2016, 11:26 pm

I wouldn't run it anymore, sounds like major break inside if loud clatter.
Would be cheaper to recondition I would think, its just an engine.

Reaper_247
Been here a while

Re: VDJ79R Low Oil Pressure now won't run! Any suggestions?

Unread post by Reaper_247 » May 31st, 2017, 9:48 pm

First thing I would check is when the oil change was done 2000km ago, make sure whoever did it did not remove the oil strainer pipe from the filter section.
If this is removed the filter will suck in and block the oil pressure off with and end result not dissimilar to what happened to yours.
When you are dead, you don't know that your dead, it is difficult only for the others - It is the same when you are stupid!

Return to “70 Series”