Got or Want Bigger Tyres? Come in Here!

Nemesis
Admin

Got or Want Bigger Tyres? Come in Here!

Unread post by Nemesis » September 12th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally started as a research topic years ago in the utes sections, the tyre topics are so popular it's time to start an new info archive in each sub section, not just for the ute people!

What we want is a collective tried and tested database of info on what works for your model fourby. No hearsay!

So, if you have upgraded your tyre size, let us know what had to be done and whether there is any or no scrubbing. What year/model, how much suspension lift, body lift, wheel off set, guard cutting/massaging, gear changes etc? You get the drift.

Fire away and feel free to post supporting pictures!
Nemesis 3 - Turbo FZJ105 Cruiser. Live Axles & Grunt = See Ya!

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by stormtrooper » October 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm

1989 FJ75 Troopcarrier. used to run 31" on 15x7" rims upgraded to 35" BFG Mud Terrains on 15x8" rims back in 2004/5 (can't remember which exactly).

35" on 15x8" rims scrubbed on the rear of the front guard as soon as I tried to turn the steering wheel. Drove home very gingerly ordered a 2" Tough Dog Ralph suspension kit the next day. Fitted the lift and never looked back.

Want to fit 40" Maxxis (if I can get it engineered) so will probably have to lift suspension (or body) another 2"

ilsp cruiser
I'm new, be nice!

79 02 cruiser tyre size.

Unread post by ilsp cruiser » November 26th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Well hey everyone just wanted to know what size tyres they are running everyone that owns a 02 79 or something close

Due to im in need of new tyres although I currently have 265 75 16

But I am going to lift my cruiser will that size tyre look stupid after I lift it or ?

And if so what size would be ideal thanks guys

vxcruiser08
Here and there

33's vs 35's on a 70 Series V8

Unread post by vxcruiser08 » January 14th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Hi Fellas,

Just picked up a new 79 dual cab and would appreciate any feedback re any 70 Series running on 35 and 33's (315 vs 285s).

Ideally i'd run the 3" lift with 35's and the 2" lift with the 33's. I am just undecided as my main concern is the fuel consumption difference (i am told up to 4L/100kms) and particularly the ride comfort as I am told it's quite rough and a handful on the highway. Obviously they're killer off road, which is great. But in between would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Cheers
Matt

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Re: 33's vs 35's on a 70 Series V8

Unread post by stormtrooper » January 14th, 2015, 4:26 pm

vxcruiser08 wrote:Hi Fellas,

Just picked up a new 79 dual cab and would appreciate any feedback re any 70 Series running on 35 and 33's (315 vs 285s).
Any 70 series? Well I have a leaf sprung 75 troopy with 35s on it and the ride is nicer with them than with the 31s it had on it when I bought it BUT there are other things to consider.
vxcruiser08 wrote:Ideally i'd run the 3" lift with 35's and the 2" lift with the 33's.
Check state regs and also insurance policy with regards to any change you do. 3" lift + 35s may put you into engineering certificate territory. VSI6 and VSI9 would be a good start.
vxcruiser08 wrote:I am just undecided as my main concern is the fuel consumption difference (i am told up to 4L/100kms) and particularly the ride comfort as I am told it's quite rough and a handful on the highway.
My main concern would be braking efficiency. Lift a vehicle you loose braking efficiency, put taller tyres on a vehicle you lose braking efficiency. Fuel consumption doesn't always have to go up mine went down because my engine revs dropped into the range the engine is most efficient at.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 14th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Fuel economy is hard to calculate, but I reckon 2 - 4 litres/100 more would be the case.

My main concern would be the legalities. Fitting tyres and lift kits that are too big is asking for trouble

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

vxcruiser08
Here and there

Unread post by vxcruiser08 » January 14th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Well aware of the legalities fellas. Already have an engineer lined up and many discussions taken place.

Don't want this turning into a whats legal debate just after a few opinions as per the OP :)

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » January 15th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Aaron Schubert wrote:Fuel economy is hard to calculate, but I reckon 2 - 4 litres/100 more would be the case.
The latest issue of 4wd Action has an article on this and says fuel economy should improve.
vxcruiser08 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Well aware of the legalities fellas. Already have an engineer lined up and many discussions taken place.

Don't want this turning into a whats legal debate just after a few opinions as per the OP :)
That's fine but you never mentioned it and as a concerned road, and off road, user it would have been remiss of us not to bring it up.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 15th, 2015, 6:45 pm

vxcruiser08 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Well aware of the legalities fellas. Already have an engineer lined up and many discussions taken place.

Good to hear you have gone down the engineering path already. Most people don't, which is why it was brought up as a priority.

I doubt your fuel economy will improve. Surely you can find someone on facebook who has done both variations and ask them? There are hundreds of v8 cruisers around with 33's and 35's on

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » January 16th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Aaron Schubert wrote:I doubt your fuel economy will improve. Surely you can find someone on facebook who has done both variations and ask them?
Or you could read page 124 of issue 228 of Australian 4wd Action.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » January 16th, 2015, 10:14 pm

My 33in muddies add around 2l of diesel per 100kms in my 76, that's over the stock splits. I just put the muddies back on as its been raining heavily at work and there's plenty of mud about. Also forgot how rough they made bumps in the road over the stockies, a lot more stable on the blacktop with the added width though.

joshy
Need to get out more

Unread post by joshy » January 20th, 2015, 6:40 am

ive got 3" lift and 35's. Uses about 3L/100km more then factory tyres, depending on driving style. I can get it down to 1/2L but its a pain to keep it there.
Sas'd Navara..
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30224

Tow/Tourer 76 cruiser
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=133211

Built not Bought

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 20th, 2015, 7:58 pm

stormtrooper wrote:
Aaron Schubert wrote:I doubt your fuel economy will improve. Surely you can find someone on facebook who has done both variations and ask them?
Or you could read page 124 of issue 228 of Australian 4wd Action.
No offence mate, but I don't believe it. Bigger tyres make your vehicle work harder to turn them, and as a result you use more fuel.

There's a chance going up one or two sizes might improve the economy by adjusting the gears, but going up 4" in tyre diameter will not give you better fuel economy

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » January 21st, 2015, 12:48 pm

No offence taken, you can believe what you want. I have a V8 in my troopy (5.7 litre HSV) and putting 35s on it after running 31s for 12 months after the conversion improved my fuel economy because it dropped the engine revs down and the engine was much better situated in its torque band. The engine isn't working as hard as it did before and isn't pulling the revs it did before. I gave my experience, someone else has written their thoughts in the magazine.

Alot of it depends on 2 things, the first being the engine itself and the second being the driver. If the engine isn't capable of maintaining the speed without more throttle then yes fuel economy will suffer because you will have to use more throttle (and therefore more fuel) to maintain speed. If the engine is capable of it but the driver uses more throttle to get to speed at the same rate they did before then again economy will suffer. The trick is to drive within the capabilities of the engine and vehicle.

vxcruiser08
Here and there

Unread post by vxcruiser08 » January 21st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the other comments & advice, i've gone with 35's in the end and will be interesting to see how we go. Trip to cape york in June so looking forward to testing her out ;)

And BTW - The 5.7 LS1's and the LS3's are great motors ;) i've a had a few of them (in HSV's though!) very economical, so a completely different engine however if you drive sensibly you will get great economy.

Return to “70 Series”