Death Wobbles in HZJ75 ute

maddog_75
Avid Poster

Re: Death Wobbles in HZJ75 ute

Unread post by maddog_75 » October 14th, 2011, 12:47 am

maddogrc wrote:where are you at? i might be able to take a look and swap over to a good set of tyres to check if it wobbles or not

after a few sets of tyres i found a new set fixed it
weird, this new forum is posting with my old account and the posts have been reset wtf?

ps. maddog_75 here (incase it didnt work again)

cruiserclint
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserclint » December 4th, 2011, 7:40 pm

mine had the death wobbles a few years back and i mean death wobbles! when it did it you would think you were about to die! the steering wheel would almost be ripped out of my hands. it felt like it was going lock to lock 5 times a second. violent shaking is the best way to describe it. it only did it going around a sweeping right hand corner at about 50-60km/hr. there is a corner in weipa where it would do it everytime. i changed the steering damper, nothing. wheel balance, nope. wheel rotation, nope. shocks were good. wheel alignment, good. all front end bearings, good. tried everything, no difference. was running out of options when i found the rubber bushings that hold the sway bar to the chassis had a small amount of play. in my desparation i took them out and contact cemented in a piece of 3mm rubber to pack them out to give a tight fit on the sway bar. BAM! instantly gone. never had a problem since.

it's scary how something like that can have such a dramatic affect on handling. it was dangerous and downright scary!

i haven't done the radical suspension mods that you have done but it might pay to check all your sway bar bushes.

maddog_75
Avid Poster

Unread post by maddog_75 » December 4th, 2011, 7:43 pm

eh, i dont even run a swaybar on my 75 lol, dont need it plus it rusted to the point of falling off... ahem!

wickywoo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by wickywoo » June 20th, 2017, 5:37 pm

If your steering wheel has a vibration through it that gets worse at speed and when you bank around a sweeping bend or hit a bump you get the death wobbles,
then your problem is the bearing pre load on the swivel hubs. It is too loose and either needs a thinner shim or the 4 bolts have not been torqued properly. The preload must be around 5 kilos

Return to “70 Series”