Show us your 76 Series!

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Re: Show us your 76 Series!

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 26th, 2014, 8:35 pm

LT789
Are you running adapters/spacers on the rear mate? What offset are your wheels? The rear looks in line pretty well with the front. I was looking at widening the rear track to make even with the front, as it's 50mm out each side. So only options are spacers or a larger negative offset. Only rims so far are Allied Thunder 16 x 10, -44 offset. I wish they had 16 x 8, then I could fit 255/85/16 tyres on. So either those or -22 or 0 offsets and then use spacers, but not sure about using spacers seeing as I will be towing 3 tonnes regularly.

There are a few issues going around with spacers, mainly premature wear of the wheel bearings as they create a larger torque-moment on the axles, but that's fine with me as I will be carrying spare consumables with me. The only other issue is snapping studs. That's the issue I don;t want to come across. If I wasn't towing I would buy spacers tomorrow. Another point is again, that most of the spacers are made from Aluminium, and I would rather steel.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 26th, 2014, 8:44 pm

TimWalks, G'day mate,

You got a build thread for this rig?

LT789
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by LT789 » March 27th, 2014, 3:53 am

BTFIVO wrote:LT789
Are you running adapters/spacers on the rear mate? What offset are your wheels? The rear looks in line pretty well with the front. I was looking at widening the rear track to make even with the front, as it's 50mm out each side. So only options are spacers or a larger negative offset. Only rims so far are Allied Thunder 16 x 10, -44 offset. I wish they had 16 x 8, then I could fit 255/85/16 tyres on. So either those or -22 or 0 offsets and then use spacers, but not sure about using spacers seeing as I will be towing 3 tonnes regularly.

There are a few issues going around with spacers, mainly premature wear of the wheel bearings as they create a larger torque-moment on the axles, but that's fine with me as I will be carrying spare consumables with me. The only other issue is snapping studs. That's the issue I don;t want to come across. If I wasn't towing I would buy spacers tomorrow. Another point is again, that most of the spacers are made from Aluminium, and I would rather steel.

Hey mate, rims are 16x8, 0 Offset. I'm not running any spacers either. What is your need to run spacers? I went driving on the beach last weekend and the sand was very soft, despite the track difference the car handled it perfectly

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 27th, 2014, 9:44 am

The difference in rear track is extremely dangerous when towing heavy 3T+ caravans etc. I towed once and I haven't towed since as the narrow rear cause the death wobbles too much, 2 x the amount of any other vehicle. I want to get the stability sorted out by June when I will be towing around Oz with first stop at Cairns from mid-NSW.

Secondly in sand I found the rear alternatly switching (swaying) between the left and right track made by the wider front wheels. This is just one instance.

Also I got bogged so many times whilst in thick mud where the leafs would get hung up on the centre mound due to the narrower width instead of rolling in the tracks made by the front wheels and clearing the centre mound as I would have had more clearance.

To add to this the rear is like a "bobble head" on the road, it is absolutely terrible and I was also looking at putting a 2" lift in which means I must go outwards in wheel track to maintain stability. I will be doing the Cairns to Cape trip in July/August and want to set my rig up properly for that. Tyres I want are 255/85/16 (skinny 33's) for less rolling resistance as I am converted after experiencing the 7.5r16 the truck came with in factory trim. If I don't need a lift for 33's then I won't bother putting one in, but at the end of the day, a winch, bullbar etc will be going on anyways and I will need to upgrade the suspension to suit.

So I am looming at -44 offset for the rear and 0 offset for the front to true alignment up a little. I have also thought about adding 0 front and -22 rear which does a little bit whilst keeping all rims 16 x 8, as the -44 are 16 x 10 and I cannot run 255/85/16 on 10" rims. Probably have to go 285/75/16 which I would consider if I did decide on the -44 rears but I don't want that wide tyre.

So there are a couple more little combinations eg +20 at front and -20 at rear but againg, not sure if +20 offset will fit the 76. Do you know what offset the split rims are? Anyhow, to run 255's I can't have the -44 so I was looking at adapters or just sticking to the 0 up front and -22 down rear. But all is about stability and I need as much as possible which tells me I might just have to accept the 285/75/16 and fix the whole issue up with the -44 at the rear.

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » March 27th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Spacers and offset rims are much of a muchness really with load on the wheel bearings.

As for snapping wheel studs i think that is much of a mucness as well. While spacers will give you more studs so chances of snaping in that regard is higher. the larger offset rims will still also put potentally alot of side load on the studs on an impact as well. Studs really only snap if not properly tighened though. either loose or tight.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 27th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Yeah, the more I research it, all the people who have run into issues were because there nuts holding the adapters on were not tight enough. I do agree with you there. Even the engineer I was speaking to today said the same thing, and agreed on my notion of using blue or even purple thread locker so the nuts don't come loose on their own, but you can still take them off if needed. He also stated that he would be inclined to check them at least weekly, but I think if I used some blue thread locker, it would help a lot and increase the time length to maybe fortnightly or monthly checks.

You are definitely right... "much of a muchness", with only one being outright illegal unless the vehicle comes out with them on from the factory, and the engineer stated he cannot certify them regardless until the legislation changes. Basically he stated that, "because there is a potential for the adapters to loosen or snap studs, they have made it illegal".

So I called the tyre joint today and have enquired on some 16 x 8, one in 0 offset and the other in -20 offset, as I think this will be the closest I will get to truing up the differences and having the 255/85/16 tyres I want as well as being legal.

I think the split rims are about +45 or there about, so the extra 50 - 70mm from the -20 offset each side will do wonders compared to stock.

Dan-Bus
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dan-Bus » April 3rd, 2014, 3:46 pm

Hello fellow cruiser drivers! New owner here :D

Recently decided to sell my old dual cab hilux and picked up this 2010 76 series workmate last week with 90,000ks on the clock and am loving it.
Came with some goodies such as:
- Factory diff locks
- 2" suspension lift
- Canvas seat covers front and back
- ARB bullbar with winch that doesnt work :confused:
- Cargo barrier
- Air compressor mounted under passenger seat
- UHF radio
Plenty there to work with but looking forward to adding more once the bank account recovers!
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/_phpBB/down ... w&id=91581
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/_phpBB/down ... w&id=91582
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 3rd, 2014, 7:08 pm

I am still awaiting to see a 76 fitted with an Xrox bar, and posting multiple picks up of what it looks like on the vehicle in all angles. I might just have to put one on. It's so hard to choose as they are not much cheaper than the ARB delux bar fitted (about $200 difference) but have a lot less to offer in a way, and do not come with side brush bars etc. I am in the process of trying to find someone to bend me up some custom side brush bars that will attach to the ends of the Xrox via bracket much like the ARB does, just in a different configuration. So I'll keep slogging and fingers crossed.

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » April 3rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

The xrox bars look funny on the 76 series in my opinion.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 3rd, 2014, 8:14 pm

I can agree to some extent, based on the 1 only photo that I have seen, which is of this shot. I have never seen it in person or any other photos. So is the mindset that it may actually go alright, as I have seen them on old Hiluxes, 80 series etc, and they are very square fronts as well.

All I really want is a little winch-bar like the one on the old FJ there. Just something to move through brush and winch off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 3rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

I won't be having any spot-lights in the middle though, I don't like the look, which is one thing I like about the Delux bars like the ARB, Ironman and MCC. They have lights incorporated in the bar. I guess I want something difference than last time as well, and also lighter so I don't have to get heavy-duty springs as it stuffs up the ride quality.

RaptorWA
Getting to know the place

Unread post by RaptorWA » April 4th, 2014, 12:27 am

A couple new updates.

Updated all 5 rims to Genuine GXL
Updated front Bullbar to GXL Alloy Bar
Updated rear bumper to chrome GXL

puff
Been here a while

Unread post by puff » April 4th, 2014, 8:36 am

Its been awhile since I have been on here. great to see its still going strong. Unfortunatly this little thing called life keeps getting in the way.

Anyway the biggest change in my life is that my wife is pregnant, with our 1st, so this has caused me to be become a convert.

I have recently bought a 76 series landcruiser (and will be selling the single cab GQ patrol ute (let me know if your interested). As there are no speare seast of child restraints in the ute.

Anyway the 76 workmate;
photo 2v1.jpg
photo 1.JPG
It came with;

2 inch lifted H/D suspension, GLX flares, reverse camera (w 2nd input for a trailer, trailer elec braks, deul batt, D/L, ARB winch bar, ARB side steps and brush bars, rear 12V sockets, 80ch UHF, alloy roof rack, tune it chip, 3 inch exhaust, tinted windows (darkest legal in NSW), cruise control, front parcel shelf.

I have added:
12V sockets to the front, a 1200 pnd ridge ryder winch (my old high mount warn doesn't fit :cry: ), 3/4 finished a rear work/reverse light (1st coat of paint went on yesterday, rear floor mat

Still to go;

upgrade the D/L, canvas seat covers (I'm having trouble finding the ones I want), front mats (I need deep ones that will fit and I'm taking reccomendations), a draw system (I am going to make one that is a frame, which takes the H/D plastic tubs, so I can lift them out), cargo barrier, put my tigers foxwing awning on from the old car, additional floor console in the front, due to no drink holders.

bencuro
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bencuro » April 11th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Looking for a replacement RH rear axle. I broke one the other day which sheered right near the end plate.
Seems like an odd place to snap but made for an easy extraction. Do I go new or apprx $300 from the wrecker.

Also have a cargo barrier if anyone wants it.

Ben, Perth

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » April 11th, 2014, 7:28 pm

What were you doing when the axle went?

I'd imagine a genuine one would be around 3 times the price of the 2nd hand one at a guess.

Return to “70 Series”